Would you boo Gary Ablett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok, so not many Dogs supporters will be going to GMHBA, but if the game was at Marvel, would you boo Gary Ablett?

Personally I'm not a booer, and the only two players I can't seem to ignore are Jeremy Cameron (for a reckless hit on JJ several years ago for which he did not receive a suspension) and probably Toby Greene (any number of reasons).

I do feel quite strongly about Ablett's recent social media exploits, and I think he's fair game.

Thoughts?

Nah, no point at a stadium where he can't hear individual boos. I'd happily boo him to his face though, but I'm sure he'd see it as some of sort of trial justifying his beliefs in a non-existent invisible overseer, so would be counter-productive.

Ok, so not many Dogs supporters will be going to GMHBA, but if the game was at Marvel, would you boo Gary Ablett?

Personally I'm not a booer, and the only two players I can't seem to ignore are Jeremy Cameron (for a reckless hit on JJ several years ago for which he did not receive a suspension) and probably Toby Greene (any number of reasons).

I do feel quite strongly about Ablett's recent social media exploits, and I think he's fair game.

Thoughts?
Greene - yes, serial offender on the field who gets excessive AFL protection
Cameron - probably not - see above, I dislike him but he's closer to the fuzzy line between "tough nut" (legal) and serial offender. I'd probably cheer him if he played for us (think back to LIbba Sr)
Ablett - no.

Ablett has been a champion player even if he gets a lot of stat padding with his cheap 1-2s. It's also not his fault that he's put on a pedestal by the media. I don't particularly like or dislike the man but I think the Folau furore needs to die away, otherwise it could become counterproductive - a rallying point for the fundamentalists. Izzy was definitely out of order and in breach of the terms of his contract but I think we can sometimes get too precious about it. The response from 95% of commentators and officials should have been enough of a put down. We may not like it but he is entitled to his antediluvian minority view and narrow reading of the bible. He just needs to keep it to his religious mates and not try to proselytise via social media if he wants to keep his day job.

Ablett's "like" of his tweet is unfortunate but we don't even know why he liked it (unless I've missed something) - is it because he's a homophobe? is it because he abhors fornication, lying (LOL), gambling and adultery? or is it because he supports players publicly stating their Christian beliefs?

I wouldn't even boo Folau. Wouldn't cheer him either, but gee if we booed everybody who said something we strongly disagree with we'd rapidly suck all the fun out of going to the footy.

I do sympathise with the OP but consider this as a test of our moral position (be honest now!): If the Bont, Naughton or Moz had publicly "like"d Folau's post would we be booing them too?

Yup, Ablett is a player that has always done those sneaky hits and never gotten called on it because "oh he's a champion of the game and we don't want to suspend them" so he deserves it. Not to mention the fact that his extreme evangelism is pretty gross to me

Yup, Ablett is a player that has always done those sneaky hits and never gotten called on it because "oh he's a champion of the game and we don't want to suspend them" so he deserves it. Not to mention the fact that his extreme evangelism is pretty gross to me

When was the last time Gary shoved his religious beliefs down your throat ????????

I like GAJ a lot, he’s a champion player and think he’s been a joy to watch over the years, he also seems a pretty decent bloke.

I do think it’s a joke that he’s gotten off two weeks in a row for virtually the same incident though, but the MRP being a joke/inconsistent is nothing new, been that way since forever.

I won’t boo him, there’s little to no point in doing so.

Cameron - probably not - see above, I dislike him but he's closer to the fuzzy line between "tough nut" (legal) and serial offender. I'd probably cheer him if he played for us (think back to LIbba Sr)
Ablett - no.

Ablett has been a champion player even if he gets a lot of stat padding with his cheap 1-2s. It's also not his fault that he's put on a pedestal by the media. I don't particularly like or dislike the man but I think the Folau furore needs to die away, otherwise it could become counterproductive - a rallying point for the fundamentalists. Izzy was definitely out of order and in breach of the terms of his contract but I think we can sometimes get too precious about it. The response from 95% of commentators and officials should have been enough of a put down. We may not like it but he is entitled to his antediluvian minority view and narrow reading of the bible. He just needs to keep it to his religious mates and not try to proselytise via social media if he wants to keep his day job.

Ablett's "like" of his tweet is unfortunate but we don't even know why he liked it (unless I've missed something) - is it because he's a homophobe? is it because he abhors fornication, lying (LOL), gambling and adultery? or is it because he supports players publicly stating their Christian beliefs?

I wouldn't even boo Folau. Wouldn't cheer him either, but gee if we booed everybody who said something we strongly disagree with we'd rapidly suck all the fun out of going to the footy.

I do sympathise with the OP but consider this as a test of our moral position (be honest now!): If the Bont, Naughton or Moz had publicly "like"d Folau's post would we be booing them too?

I look at at this way.

I personally am an atheist, and the likes of Israel Falou and his beliefs make me sick.

From what I’ve seen of Ablett, although he is religious, he isn’t a bigot or holds extremist views like the ones expressed in Falou’s post, so am inclined to give GAJ the benefit of the doubt when he explained that him liking the post was admiring Falou’s faith rather than agreeing re: homosexuals burning in hell etc.

If it turned out GAJ did agree with Falou re: the extremist views, I’d hold him in just as much contempt as I do Falou.

I also think that GAJ is not a dirty player, although as stated he definitely should have been suspended for both incidents of the past two weeks.

Ablett - no.

Social media is heading that way. And people don't have to even strongly disagree with it, only be SEEN to disagree with it so they can occupy what they think of as the moral high ground. The keyboard lynch mob get something between their teeth and don't let go.

I even heard a debate going on between the esteemed leaders of our main political parties over whether there is a hell for all Izzy's hate list to go to!

I hope - and think - that footy clubs STRONGLY impress on their young men to SAY NOTHING CONTROVERSIAL, which is why we get vanilla comments from them in interviews and they mainly stay away from social media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd boo him for his instagram like - and continue to be ashamed by people who support his response as to why he did it in the first place. He never apologised for it instead saying "I understand that liking this post appeared offensive and this is why I chose to remove my 'like' from the post."
tell the people that Izzy's comment was simply unacceptable in todays age, not that you 'understand' why it might offend .
******* Boo! you abhorrent man willing to hide your hate behind your religion.

Nope. Booing if you really must, should be reserved for in game incidents, truly shitty umpiring or your kids when they inevitably disappoint.

Having said that, If we get on top during this weeks game listen out for the Hicks down there boo it up.

They are pretty good at bilking money out of gullible governments but they are unrivalled at sooking it up when things aren't going their way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back