Would you join an AFL fans union/association? What could they achieve?

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The current AFL Fans Association is a joke. If they were serious, then I would have seen them outside at the MCG asking me to join up.

I think fans need a real union and this could be the best time to create one.

so....

Would you ever join a legit fans union?

Would you pay membership? ($5 a month at most i would expect, given our large numbers)

What would you expect them to to achieve on your behalf? (aim to achieve) [It would need to be issue in the interest of the majority that do not hurt the minority]

If you don't want a union, why not?

An AFL fans union, what a crook of s**t

What would a fans union achieve? And if they did achieve something how would the benefit only be applied to the fans in the union and not to fans that aren't in the union

This is a pretty ******* dumb idea

My biggest issue with the way the AFL is run, is it is happy to take tax payer funds which in my mind means it is a game for the people/ society. Yet the cost of entry to a game is beyond the means of most. Further the pay tv exclusivity takes the game further from the people.

I don't mind if all they want to be, is a product but don't accept government funds.

A fans union should be focused on bringing the game back to the poor and ordinary. Perhaps the comp would regain some soul and see a return of characters to the game.

Unfortunately I think the union would just take the members money and largely do nothing.

Even worse, they could get corrupted and sell out it's members.

My biggest issue with the way the AFL is run, is it is happy to take tax payer funds which in my mind means it is a game for the people/ society. Yet the cost of entry to a game is beyond the means of most. Further the pay tv exclusivity takes the game further from the people.

I don't mind if all they want to be, is a product but don't accept government funds.

A fans union should be focused on bringing the game back to the poor and ordinary. Perhaps the comp would regain some soul and see a return of characters to the game.

It's one of the cheapest pro sports in the world.

It's minimum $100 just to see a hockey game in Canada in the nosebleeds

Unfortunately I think the union would just take the members money and largely do nothing.

Even worse, they could get corrupted and sell out it's members.

Like all unions, it'll mostly bring benefits for the union bosses, with a few token gestures towards the members.

Last edited:
Like all unions, it'll mostly about benefits for the union bosses, with a few token gestures towards the members.
Yep. I work in a brewery and we are with the CFMEU. The union delegates are mostly the self serving types with an axe to grind. Sometimes these delegates hinder more than help the workers.

The only real benefit is when we do our enterprise bargaining agreement and the staunch union comes to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back