Would you jump ship?

Remove this Banner Ad

Knowing my luck I would jump ships and we would win the flag straight away. 28 years supporting Freo I may as well stick with it at this point. However, I will have a soft spot for Tassie.

Let's create a third team in a market that has no demand for one so that it can cannibalise existing supporters and end up on welfare street while pulling crowds of 11,000 every second week. The AFL aren't THAT stupid, surely?
Aren't they!!!!!

I couldn’t change teams, but I will more than likely stop following AFL all together. I have been living in North QLD for nearly a decade and I have naturally lost abit of touch with the game with distance.

But the rules changes, the inconsistent application of rules that tend to disadvantage Freo, the continual bias umpiring against Freo, the continual drive for teams to be more corporate diluting the identity of clubs (including Freo), the uninspired coach, players from all teams being friends, lack of agro and competitiveness from players, etc. It just feels bland! I don’t mind losing or the pathetic trades, but it’s the boring game style and the general blandness of AFL that’s turning me away.

To watch a game of AFL, you are generally losing a quarter of a weekend. With all these factors, I am on my last legs in continuing my passion for AFL.

Wouldn't have though Joondalup is a Freo heartland anyway. There'd be much more Eagles fans jumping ship than Freo
A WA#3 in the metro area that could win lots of games, and you could still get walk-up cheap seats at the footy would end up having families and kids jump ship simply because they would be more accessible to watch live than WCE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be interested to see what I’d feel like about the new team after they came into the AFL.

For me it feels like the derby between Freo and WA3 won’t be the same as Freo vs West Coast. That may seem obvious but I’m talking a big big difference.

To use the EPL as an example Freo and West Coast hate each other like Arsenal and Spurs do but I feel either of Freo or West Coast playing WA3 would be more like Arsenal or Spurs playing Crystal Palace. Technically they’re all London teams but comparatively no one cares about the rivalry.

Could see myself attending WA3 games just as an opportunity to see some neutral games tbh. I’m too invested in Freo to enjoy the game as much as I should.

No, being an elite side is just around the corner. I just don't know where that corner is.
bart simpson GIF

Good question. Forking over a top 5 pick this year for Jackson might be the last straw for me. It feels weird though to consider other clubs.

Geez the Jackson trade was abysmal by Bell, but has anyone told you about the wonders of Drum trades?? Or Collywobbles trades??

You know before we even played a game we traded away Jeff Farmer just to get... Phil Gilbert?? Phil as a player not a coach or trainer??
Won't mention the McLeod decision or the move to trade pick 4 (which became Scott Lucas) for the greatness of Tony Delaney.

Or the first offer we made for McCarthy which was 2 first rounders and a second and third rounder. Thank god GWS said no and he sat out for a year and only wound up costing us (basically) a first.

Gee it’s bad but were you around when we got Croad!

Or when we traded away rights to great young players just to get Chris Groom, Tony Delaney, Phil Gilbert and Greg Madigan!!

My uncle held on until the Collingwood final before passing away. Died a week later.

He was holding on for the first flag.

No doubt that is my future

My condolences for your loss. Hopefully your uncle enjoyed the unexpected success last year, we only seem to get that once every eight or nine years.
At least he hasn't had to ponder why JOM was traded in, or why Banfield and Hughes keep getting selected, or why we are obsessed with setting new handball backwards records every week this year.

I think I have self diagnosed Stockholm syndrome ….
I still like the club but geez it’s tortured me of late

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No, I would not abandon Freo. I'm unusual because geography doensn't mean anything to me since I don't live in AUS. I've come for the story and feel of the club, not for glory or trophies or because I can get to the games easier.

However, I could see abandoning the AFL. I'm fine with the empty trophy cabinet, the sh** decisions at times, the underdog status, and many other dockery things. What grinds on me is the Vic-centric nature of the competition, the absolute trash and biased commentating during the games, the lack of national exposure and content the Vic media is willing to devote to covering the team (although in all fairness if we were better, there would be more coverage), the teams who get propped up by AFL money just so they can call it a "national competition", Eddie McGuire, the on and on and on and on and on and on about how the MCG is the home of footy (so therefore the GF has to be played there for the next 10,000 years), and especially the "old boys club" feel of many of the shows/comments/decisions. It's tiring honestly.

I think any decision that waters down the (V)AFL, takes more of the power/influence away from the Vic clubs, makes the Vic clubs travel more (btw, how will Richmond be able to handle ALL that travel to Tassie? They'll just have to dig deep and somehow persevere. Such a brave club.), the better. I'm all in favor of a third team in WA.

My issue to be dealt with is that I live in Hobart. If we could get a flag before the New team I reckon I couldn't leave if I wanted to but if we remain as crap as we've always been I'll have a heavy decision to make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back