Opinion Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent at Geelong?

Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruckmen can still win games, though - and the opposition's ruckmen have played very, very well against us this year, and it's translated into clearances more often than not.

Also: BOG? I mean, it was his best game for the club IMO, but BOG is over-egging it somewhat. Pretty sure Vlaustin or Selwood was that.
Ranking points he scored the most by a mile but I think Selwood was bog then Vlaustin.

No...

can he ruck?... no?

Still no.

I get the talk of him being classy. Sure..

We have so much class sitting outside now we have 3 players out of 46 on the list that can actually get the ball out to them.

No.
GO Catters

I completely agree. However if he nominates us, I can’t see us saying no unfortunately.

You left out the part of murphys abilities too. All i did was a direct comparison of the attributes you thought were the only ones worth pointing out. Dont shoot the messenger of facts. I wasnt giving you my opinion.

You picked out the facts that suited your argument. We both know the recruitment of a 34-year-old Ablett was a unique situation, something unlikely to be repeated again. We normally don't go around trading in 34-year-old injury prone players. It was a one off given the circumstances.

if murphy is a free agent and costs little then yes. Will contribute more to the club then the likes of house and abbott even if he is only here for one year.

Yes but guys like House etc are on minimum wages Murphy won't be. So the real comparison is 450kpa or whatever Murphy would cost vs whatever other FA we could recruit with the same money.

Hate to do it amd this probably isn't the right place but I'm going to use common sense.

If Murph wants Geelong and will sign for $300k or so then why wouldn't you do it? In all honesty would yoy prefer Murph, Murder or Hyphen being on the list on roughly the same coin.

As for where he plays, almost every position is midfield anyway as our game has progressed to the rolling maul that is under 9's, complete with ruck nominations and any real physical contact being frowned upon.

Be a more than handy midfield rotation that could step up in case of injury/suspension/general soreness.

Also doesn't count us out of getting a ruck either which I agree is a glaring need.

I'm not against it so long as we have the money to afford bringing in a ruck as well as that's a greater need. If we can only afford one or the other chase a good ruck.

I’d see the club saying, for example, we have a spare 350k, take it or leave it.

If say GHS leaves as FA which he probably will and he's on say 300k and we offer that 300k to Murphy that's a good net swap for us if we can still bring in a ruck etc as well.

Yes but guys like House etc are on minimum wages Murphy won't be. So the real comparison is 450kpa or whatever Murphy would cost vs whatever other FA we could recruit with the same money.
Apart from the 36-y-o Burgoyne, he's pretty easily the best player currently on this year's UFA list.
Which does not necessarily mean he's the best fit for us, but you can always use another class player.

If say GHS leaves as FA which he probably will and he's on say 300k and we offer that 300k to Murphy that's a good net swap for us if we can still bring in a ruck etc as well.
Thats the way i see it. If they ditch ghs, which they probably will, then that would probably free up close to enough cash.

And despite the queries about murphs age and injury concerns, he’s still a significant upgrade on ghs.

Apart from the 36-y-o Burgoyne, he's pretty easily the best player currently on this year's UFA list.
Which does not necessarily mean he's the best fit for us, but you can always use another class player.

Dahlhaus is a handy player but I agree he's the best UFA on quality (needs a good medical though) I still think talls are more of a need for us but if he's prepared to come on lowish wages (he might do this for a chance at finals given he's presumably been a big earner at Carlton in the past) which still leaves us cap room to recruit talls then I would be ok with it. He would be in our top 15 players when fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

like, like, like, .....

Crows backup ruck any good? :)

Reilly O'Brien? Fairly untried and out for the season injured. Not sure if he'd be a good fit for us.

Thats the way i see it. If they ditch ghs, which they probably will, then that would probably free up close to enough cash.

And despite the queries about murphs age and injury concerns, he’s still a significant upgrade on ghs.

I think GHS will go to try and get more gametime elsewhere more so than us ditching him. And if GHS only gets say a 2 year base wage deal somewhere we might not even get a compo pick anyway (it would be end R3 at best) so that's no reason for us not to recruit FA's.

well yes it depends on the wages. I would take murphy on 350 or less as he probably offers more value then scott selwood. But this is assuming we are still flag chasing.

I think GHS will go to try and get more gametime elsewhere more so than us ditching him. And if GHS only gets say a 2 year base wage deal somewhere we might not even get a compo pick anyway (it would be end R3 at best) so that's no reason for us not to recruit FA's.
i doubt anyone would take him. at least they wont offer more then we would. he is useful back up to have in the side when playing on smaller grounds or in the wet. but not much more.

ablett was 34, dodgy shoulders and dodgy hammy and no leadership abilities and he wasnt even a free agent.

just saying.

Ablett is also the greatest midfielder we've ever seen, a Geelong boy, coming home on a reduced contract..
Just a tiny difference to Murphy who in 10 years time will be remembered as "who?".

Interesting. You left out the part that this particular 34-year-old with dodgy shoulders and hamstrings is also a club legend (as was his dad), not to mention him being one of, if not the greatest midfielder of all time. The recruitment of Ablett was a unique situation given his Geelong history and the fact we're in a premiership window and he may contribute to winning another flag. Not to mention the financial and marketing aspect of his recruitment. But I guess that doesn't suit your narrative does it?

Also is prob top 5 in the Carji currently..

If he comes cheap then absolutely.

Why would we not want an elite midfielder of Murphy’s standard?? You can never have too many A grade midfielders.

The more flexibility and freedom we can conjure up to shuffle elite players from forward midfield and back the better.

Would allow Ablett and Dangerfield to almost play exclusively forward if we chose to.

Would rather us target an elite defender if we can. Our defence needs A grade ball winning talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back