Opinion Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent at Geelong?

Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potentially. Does have nice skills. Backline isn't blessed with pace, would you see it as a worthy sacrifice to have another distrubutor?

I think he could offer something back there, as you said he does have nice skills. But as others have already said, we should be looking at a decent ruck imo if we can get one. Easier said than done I guess. If we have some money leftover though, then why not have a look at Murphy? His composure and skills on a back flank could be really valuable in a final. No trade required which is a bonus and surely he'd come to us with reasonable salary demands given he wants a flag?

I think he could offer something back there, as you said he does have nice skills. But as others have already said, we should be looking at a decent ruck imo if we can get one. Easier said than done I guess. If we have some money leftover though, then why not have a look at Murphy? His composure and skills on a back flank could be really valuable in a final. No trade required which is a bonus and surely he'd come to us with reasonable salary demands given he wants a flag?
Definitely worthy of a list spot providing the contract price doesn’t squeeze anyone. Just unsure how to look structurally in the end.

While we are all-in on winning now, then our priorities must be around filling in any weaknesses to winning a flag, in either position or depth. So, we have position and depth issues in the ruck, and potentially depth issues in the backline, but I would have thought mid-sized utilities are one thing we are well off in. I would view this as an incremental upgrade on one of our utilities, but therefore probably not worth it on balance when we need to cover our weaknesses.

Yeah agree that Darcy would be way more preferred than Lycett. The only issue being his contract status at Freo, and with Sandi on his last legs, Freo would be mad to let him go. Lycett is much more attainable I guess. I certainly hope we have at least been in Darcy's ear and had a discussion though. I reckon we'd have to offer significant overs in terms of a trade to even get Freo to consider it. The only hope for us I reckon would be to convince Freo he will walk when he's OOC at the end of 2019 and that they may as well cash in now and get a better deal than when he is OOC. Agree Murphy could be a good get if we get a decent ruck, but I wouldn't consider him until our ruck issues are sorted.

Darcy signed an extension last year, he isn't out of contract until 2021. Not that contracts mean that much these days.

Darcy signed an extension last year, he isn't out of contract until 2021. Not that contracts mean that much these days.

Oh wow, I didn't realise. You're right, contracts mean very little now but he's obviously happy over there and he seems likely to be your number one ruck for many years. He obviously likes Perth. Hopefully he gets sick of it soon ;)

While we are all-in on winning now, then our priorities must be around filling in any weaknesses to winning a flag, in either position or depth. So, we have position and depth issues in the ruck, and potentially depth issues in the backline, but I would have thought mid-sized utilities are one thing we are well off in. I would view this as an incremental upgrade on one of our utilities, but therefore probably not worth it on balance when we need to cover our weaknesses.

Yeah that's fair. Murphy would be the icing on the cake. But we still need the cake (ruckman).

Defensive efforts have been rather luckluster at Geelong too.

Some of his dinky short kicking (ie 20m) has been way off this year as well for such a great kick. Long kicks have still been excellent. His decision making though in what to actually do with the football for the greater benefit of the team is still light years ahead of anybody else in the team which is in my opinion the most undervalued metric when discussing somebody's skill level.

If it doesnt cost us draft picks and doesnt cost us much money then it has no influence on our ability to fix our weaknesses. In fact it might help persuade a ruckman to come across.

If it doesnt cost us draft picks and doesnt cost us much money then it has no influence on our ability to fix our weaknesses. In fact it might help persuade a ruckman to come across.
yeah I was wondering how their #2 ruckman was doing in the vfl. He started out pretty good when Goldstein was hurt? couple years ago.

Yeah that's fair. Murphy would be the icing on the cake. But we still need the cake (ruckman).

I wonder if we do.. or if a ruckman really is the "Cake" ... sort of mixed feelings on it. There have been plenty of ordinary Premiership rucks. Ottens was such a key player that we probably tend to think of the role as critical..

My idea of critical is someone who contributes around the ground , takes a few marks etc... ironically I see that NicNat takes lass than 2 a game. He is a different type than what we could get but who could deny his impact.

I heard Bob Murphy call into question the seemingly universal opinion that MM had the right to explore his opportunities. He thinks a Capt. should just sign... I wonder what he would think of Colbert.. Personally I think MM has every right to explore if he wants to .. as much as some think you get credit for loyalty , would Lake be thought of being more or less if he had stayed at the Dogs. Not a capt obviously.

Yeah, that's correct. The proposed deal was Deledio for Motlop. Richmond then decided they didn't want Motlop and since he was unable to be offloaded, we then couldn't afford Deledio. Caddy was then offloaded instead though :'(

I think Caddy made the call to go, that's what happens when Chinese whispers get out.

I think Caddy made the call to go, that's what happens when Chinese whispers get out.

Yeah, he certainly initiated the move. More money, the promise of more midfield action (not that it's happened at the Tigers) and the chance to play with his best mate, Prestia. Can't blame him I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if we do.. or if a ruckman really is the "Cake" ... sort of mixed feelings on it. There have been plenty of ordinary Premiership rucks. Ottens was such a key player that we probably tend to think of the role as critical..

My idea of critical is someone who contributes around the ground , takes a few marks etc... ironically I see that NicNat takes lass than 2 a game. He is a different type than what we could get but who could deny his impact.

I heard Bob Murphy call into question the seemingly universal opinion that MM had the right to explore his opportunities. He thinks a Capt. should just sign... I wonder what he would think of Colbert.. Personally I think MM has every right to explore if he wants to .. as much as some think you get credit for loyalty , would Lake be thought of being more or less if he had stayed at the Dogs. Not a capt obviously.

There is no doubt a good ruck isn't as important as it used to be, but I think a serviceable ruck that can win their fair share of hitouts and be a presence around the ground is still quite a valuable asset. Stanley is contributing well at the moment, but we've all been sucked in before, and most would agree that he is likely to revert back to poor form any week now. I believe our clearance issues this year are largely due to incompetent rucks. Personally, I'd have a ruck as our number one priority. But good ones aren't exactly easy to find..

we dodged a major bullet on deledio.

relative to our current side that trade probably would of meant
in deledio and caddy
out kelly, parfitt and ablett.

Dodged a bigger bullet on Stringer

That gif is creepy kitty :S

It's meant to be Bots! An extremely angry pussycat, who is snarling, hissing, aggressive, agitated, arched back, pilo-erection, spitting, guttural moan, etc - who is very unhappy that Sloane might go to the Poos+Wees!

If that was the case, why would anyone want to be captain? Unless they were being paid serious overs at their club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back