Would you like to see the Hawks establish an NBL club?

Remove this Banner Ad

timhawx

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2008
Knox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill
An article on the SEN website caught my attention.
Melbourne United coach Dean Vickerman would like to see AFL clubs involved in the potential expansion of the National Basketball League.
Im not a basketball follower but I would probably be interested if we had an affiliated team.
My reservation is that it may cause a distraction from our core business.

Any thoughts?

Melbourne United coach Dean Vickerman would like to see AFL clubs involved in the potential expansion of the National Basketball League.
Im not a basketball follower but I would probably be interested if we had an affiliated team.

Any thoughts?
No.

Any thoughts?
No. It becomes a business conglomerate , too big too messy too many to please, I am a believer in the AFLW but I am definitely saying that only two more clubs should be allowed in, and not for ten years , the eight now is fine, if we keep diluting the pool it will kill AFLW.
As for B'Ball , they are doing OK are they not?
Hawthorn and footy in general needs to stick with this big big game we have now, and leave all the flash ideas alone.

Its all about money , when that happens its the beginning of the end. Go so far get better game wise and financially then run your own race with consistency!
Thats what its about.

We need to find alternate revenue streams to one day replace pokies and Tasmania. We need to fund Dingley.

Would establishing an NBL Franchise assist? Don't know, probably not.

The one thing I am sure of is that our club wouldn't enter any project without doing its due diligence.
Is there an area in the Dingley project that could house a NBL team, and cater for finals crowds?
So many questions,
I find it difficult to see Gil advocating AFL teams getting involved here when ha appears to want footy every day or night of the season.

While I've grown up a massive basketball fanatic, I do believe that at this point in time, it would be more a hindrance than anything.

Especially when we're trying to come up with $100M plus for the Dingley project.

We need to focus on this and treat it with the upmost importance, as it'll be the biggest venture of the club to date, possibly the biggest moving forward as well.

If the club could create a team to play out of the South East, then yes.

Redevelop Dandenong stadium, play out of there

I think that facilities incorporated into Dingley would better suit, however any launching of an NBL team should wait until after the Dingley project has been completed.

I think that facilities incorporated into Dingley would better suit, however any launching of an NBL team should wait until after the Dingley project has been completed.
Problem is dingley is horrible for attendance. There's no train line, limited buses, and the roads are too small to accommodate an influx of traffic.

Dandenong is closer to trains, and has more buses, plus the freeway is there too.
It's also in a big hawk area, so would help attendance.

I agree, anything AFTER dingley is finished

Problem is dingley is horrible for attendance. There's no train line, limited buses, and the roads are too small to accommodate an influx of traffic.

Dandenong is closer to trains, and has more buses, plus the freeway is there too.
It's also in a big hawk area, so would help attendance.

I agree, anything AFTER dingley is finished

While I do think you've raised quite a few valid points, I'm still not really sure.

When you say redevelop Dandenong stadium, I'm not sure if you mean it being funded by the club, purchased and redeveloped by the club or funded by the appropriate councils?

I'm assuming that it would take a substantial amount of funds and unless it meant we owned the facilities, would it be a smart and viable move?

What's the state of Dandenong stadium these days? I haven't played there in around 20 years.

Anyway, I do think that an NBL team could be a great move by the club but feel that having our AFL, AFLW, VFL, VFLW and NBL teams all sharing the same world class facilities would be great.

I guess it's a good thing that we're not the ones making these decisions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I do think you've raised quite a few valid points, I'm still not really sure.

When you say redevelop Dandenong stadium, I'm not sure if you mean it being funded by the club, purchased and redeveloped by the club or funded by local council?

I'm assuming that it would take a substantial amount of funds and unless it meant we owned the facilities, would it be a smart and viable move?

What's the state of Dandenong stadium these days? I haven't played the in around 20 years.

Anyway, I do think that an NBL team could be a great move by the club but feel that having our AFL, AFLW, VFL, VFLW and NBL teams all sharing the same world class facilities would be great.

I guess it's a good thing that we're not the ones making these decisions.
Obviously the council and state/national government would pay for it since they own it

Obviously the council and state/national government would pay for it since they own it

That makes a little more sense, however I do feel that if we were going to take it seriously, then having them under our roof in the proposed Dingley facility would be a better option.

Aren't we building basketball courts there anyway?

I also believe that we have an option to purchase an additional 10 hectares of land there.

Perhaps we could purchase the land and build an additional multi court stadium complex, once we've sourced the funds and use Dandenong in the meantime?

If the current infrastructure is acceptable for our AFL team, I fail to see why the same wouldn't apply to any possible NBL team.

Also, by the time Dingley has been completed, wouldn't there be upgrades to the current infrastructure anyway?

Anyway I'm just happy to play the waiting game and back the club in, they would definitely know best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back