Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
It sounds like overnight the prospect of Wayne Carey playing for the Swans next year has increased substantially with Carey's wife alledgely applying to transfer to the Swans.

Do you want Wayne here?

If Wayne was here, would you grow to love him?

I'm 50/50 about having Wayne, he's a great player no doubt but there are some questions over how long his body will hold up and whether there's any lingering injuries, the position which he has dominated for the last decade - CHF - is virtually redundant at the SCG (I'd probably have him at CHB and move him up forward if the need arises during matches), will it effect team balance and comaraderie, and is it going against the view that the Swans should start recruiting more young blood instead of getting ageing stars (or ageing has-beens in the case of several of our older recruits over the years).

Despite all this I'd say if we get the chance to sign Wayne we should, he's a champion player and should have at least a couple of years left in him and at worst would assist younger players with his experience and at best really give the Swans (and their profile in Sydney) an added boost. Sure it's risky to sign him but it would be a real missed opportunity if we don't only to see him dominate at Adelaide, Hawthorn, Essendon or Carlton!

I'd support him once he starts wearing the red and white, it didn't take me long to start loving Plugger back in '95!

I can't really argue against any of that, SF. The club obviously have to decide what their priorities are, and weigh up the costs etc. If we got him, I would support him as a Sydney player. It's as simple as that.

LOVING wayne might be stretching it though :D

I wouldn't love him, but I think he would be good for the team on-field. I agree he would be a CHB at the SCG.

It would be interesting how they would use him off-field, seeing as they have made him the bad guy in recent seasons.

Don't waste your energy, he's coming over to Adelaide to play with the Crows!

Hell, we gave him a BBQ, it must be a done deal!! ;)

He's 31, had a hard run with alot of injuries (face it guys, his shoulder is totally shot)

He's been out of the game for a season, drinking a fair amount in spots like Las Vegas for a fair bit of that too.

Nup - I would be almost as dismayed to see Carey ta the Swans as I was when Lockett came out of retirement:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

But I'm afraid the club will fall for this because Carey is such a 'marque' player.

So we'll end up doing exactly doing exactly the same thing thats got us into such a bad state of affairs in the first place. Namely TRADING AWAY EARLY DRAFT PICKS FOR MATURE PLAYERS !!!!

Don't do it - please ?????:(

I agree with BSA

I'd HATE to see Wanye Carey in the red and white and I hope that the club is not short sighted enough to consider (or be bullied into) making such a recruiting decision. It is precisely decisions such as these that have put us into the hole that is the bottom of the table that we currently find ourselves sitting in.

NO CAREY

Back