Would you prefer Jack or Richo in their prime?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
This used to be an easy answer for me, however now I'm not so sure. The discussion on the MB about Jack vs Nick got me thinking, has Jack surpassed Richo's level? Jack's CV is clearly superior, however it would be interesting to see what Richo could have done in this team.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
First thing to do is acknowledge that they are different players.

Up until a few years ago it was Richo for me.

Now, it's clearly Jack. His footy smarts, skills either foot, selflessness, leadership and the way he serves the team place him far above the great Richo man.

It's worth noting that Richo played in a different era where we had a big focus on full fowards, even towards the end of his career. Didn't Terry or Spud once drag him off the ground because he'd been instructed to take a shot if he marks within 50m, but he passed one off?

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
A bit like the Jack vs Nick thread on the main board. Richo in front just because of his power, running and athletic ability, which gave him the ability to get up the ground and back (like Nick). Easily the best athlete to ever play the game. But Jack for his artistry in almost every football trait.

Have to go for Richo just because he had it all, although his kicking from 30m out made Castagna look like a sharp shooter some days.

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Someone posted a story on Twitter about Richo in the 90s. We were getting pantsed by over a 100pts and Richo was pacing around in the goal square at the Punt Rd end The ball had hardly come down there all game. There was a lull in the crowd and someone in the cheer squad yelled out "I'm going to get a pie do you want one Richo?"

Richo played in some dire teams, imagine him in this squad.

just look at the individual stats games played and goals kicked. I agree Jack has a more all round game but he's had to be that way because the game has changed and look at the side he's played in since 2013.

Richo still has it over Jack IMO, not by much and I love em both the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
If jack ,and richo played Together both in there prime
Wowee, no need for small forwards, there'd be no crumbs
Jack a better kick especially on his left
Both excellent marks
Richo more athletic and explosive
Jack smarter and more natural footballer
,both petulant and selfish in early years
Both matured into real legends
I think I might have to pick nah can't choose

Richo for pure talent and excitement. Power forward with amazing athleticism.

Jack for being more than the sum of his individual parts. Jack not only is an elite mark and kick, he's a brilliant crumber, brings others in and fantastic leader.

So I end up going for JR because he's about 3 players in one. Richo was only worth 2 players in one.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
If jack ,and richo played Together both in there prime
Wowee, no need for small forwards, there'd be no crumbs
Jack a better kick especially on his left
Both excellent marks
Richo more athletic and explosive
Jack smarter and more natural footballer
,both petulant and selfish in early years
Both matured into real legends
I think I might have to pick nah can't choose
Kicking accuracy picks JR!

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Marking - Richo
Kicking - Jack
Athleticism - Richo
Skill - Jack
Tank - Richo
Smarts - Jack

Jack’s field kicking is severely under rated by most. When he’s involved in the play up the ground good things happen. Hard to find a more skilled tall forward. His speed and jumping ability seem to fly under the radar these days. When he gets a good run and jump at the ball no defender can usually go with him.

Richo was an athletic beast, he‘d run his man off his legs with constant 100m sprints to the wing and back all day long. As a full forward his running capabilities are still unmatched. Combined with his strength and contested marking ability he was a huge problem for the opposition. Accuracy issues were blown way out of proportion due to the times it went wrong it went horribly wrong. You don’t become #1 all time for goals at the G in the poorest team without knowing how to kick a few.

Jack has shown his quality as a lone full forward without any other tall help. He’s also shown his quality as a traditional CHF with Lynch in the team. He’s the exact player we need and I wouldn’t want any other forward in the comp.

Richo showed his quality as the single shining beacon in an otherwise dark era. The man literally dominated opponents with the worst midfield supply imaginable. Playing FF in our current team he‘d be a scary prospect and most likely odds on to win the Coleman.

Two different players from two different generations. Two club champions and lifetime members of the Richmond football club. Two men who bleed yellow & black down to the core.

Ultimately I can‘t split them nor do I want to. Each deserve the utmost appreciation in their own right. Simply can’t be taken for granted how lucky we are to have had these blokes bleed for our club.

Defibrillate

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
This is harsh but for me it would be Richo. I’m old enough to remember the really, really dark times, and the only thing that would give you joy going to Richmond games was Richo. Even oppo supporters came to watch him. The athletic, the spectacular, the goals (and don’t be fooled - his goal kicking record is not as statistically dire as you would think), and his tank. All done with s**t supply, no team cohesion and no support. Richo was a one man band, and with this team around him he would be off the charts. I love Jack and his smarts and he’s a different beast, but Richo was our generational player like Dusty is now.

Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
Jack for mine.

Richo was a great player but a symptom of a wider problem.

Once we started recruiting better skilled and higher IQ players we thrived. It depends how you rate certain attributes but I have always rated natural footballers over incredible athletes.

If Richo ever made a grand final would you trust him to capitalise on his chances? Could he kick 5 straight like Jack just did?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back