Opinion Would you rather play GWS at Simonds or Richmond at the G?

If Geelong were to secure a home final, who would you rather see them face?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
It wasn't pretty, but today's win guarenteed us a top four spot. Now winning next week is obviously vital if we hope to secure a home final.

The two most likely scenarios for week one of finals are GWS at Simonds, or Richmond at the G. Which would you prefer?

Also possible...
Port Adelaide at the G*
Sydney at the G*
*Assuming the AFL would schedule them there, seems near impossible for them not to

(Personally I'd prefer Richmond at Simonds but that's an argument for another day.)

I think we can get GWS at Spotless also? If GWS wins next two and Tigers lose next two?

On Moto G (5) using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, we could also get Adelaide in Adelaide - the question is just around the potential of a home final.

I think it's an interesting consideration, as Richmond are the weaker team - however we would be forced to face them on their own home deck (despite it being our home final) wheras GWS are the stronger team, but we'd have the benefit of playing them at Simonds.

GWS are by far the better side, I don't really fear Richmond at all, think we have them covered.

The question is would i rather play a better team at skilled or a worse team at the MCG?

Think I would rather Richmond at the G... but there is just a very confidence driven notion to the idea of playing at skilled that will have me feeling up and about also.

It wasn't pretty, but today's win guarenteed us a top four spot. Now winning next week is obviously vital if we hope to secure a home final.

The two most likely scenarios for week one of finals are GWS at Simonds, or Richmond at the G. Which would you prefer?

Also possible...
Port Adelaide at the G*
Sydney at the G*
*Assuming the AFL would schedule them there, seems near impossible for them not to

(Personally I'd prefer Richmond at Simonds but that's an argument for another day.)

From my calculations it's either Adelaide away or GWS (home or away). It seems we won't be playing Richmond in the first week.

Simonds easily. We look our best when we can stop teams running into our defence through handball and kick to leads and force them to kick long and high, this is much easier to do on a narrower than wider ground. If all the finals this year were played at simonds we would win the flag this year IMO.

That said i reckon richmond is the one side we could beat at the G as i reckon they will be finals pretenders like in recent years where they have made finals. But i don't fancy trying to beat Sydney or GWS at the MCG.

From my calculations it's either Adelaide away or GWS (home or away). It seems we won't be playing Richmond in the first week.

We could play richmond if they win both their games we beat gws and richmond make up 8 % on gws. Richmond would have to win both their games by huge margins though.

I think we should be confident of playing any team bar sydney in victoria, although im starting to think the crows are the real deal. Can someone tell me what side of the finals draw does the winners of 5 v 8 and 6 v 7 go on??? Im trying to figure out how we can miss the swans on the draw until atleast the grand final if possible!!!

Gws are pretty overrated, haven't really done that much to make you go "oh they're going to win a three peat". Let alone one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want to lose our first final then I'd say Sydney.

I'd be okay with any of the GWS, Richmond or Port choices though, not in terms of thinking we are certainties to win, but think we'd be a good chance at least in those games, especially if J. Selwood, Blicavs & Cockatoo can all return for the first final!

Apart from Geelong, which other teams are shithouse coming off a bye?

From my thread earlier in the season, iirc, there were only about 3 teams with a +tive record coming off the bye, 2 of them are Hawthorn (easily the best) and WCE, so the question I guess is about the level of shitness coming off the bye.

GWS, imo, are the best team in it now.

Port at the G please, we actually won that one in 2013

My honest preference from the likely scenarios is honestly to play GWS at Spotless, lose and play a semi and prelim against anybody but Sydney. I don't trust us off of a QF bye.

I see GWS winning the flag this year. Outrageous talent, and finally coming together getting all their injured players back. Their mids are polished, speedy and can run both ways, 2 exceptional power forwards, and possibly the best small forward. Deledio and SJ ill want to prove something, and their rucks are very good. Defence is ok. They will play Swans or Ade imo, so it matters not where we play week 1.
We are an outside chance. Even teams outside the top 4 worry- Ess, Mel, Port- all can have their day .
As a side issue, our record at the G is better than our record at Simonds for finals.

Think we comfortably beat anybody not named Sydney at Skilled. I also think we can beat just about anybody at the MCG but will struggle against Adelaide in Adelaide and GWS at Spotless. These can be avoided though. The biggest problem IMO is I think that if we come up against Sydney regardless of venue we are in trouble.

And the plot thickens....
Just got a GFC based but AFL delivered email about the Finals.....

And for all the ticket allocations and sales information for the different ticket vendors - not ONE has listed Skilled as a venue for finals ticket sales.

Based on that AFL has already decided we are playing at MCG or interstate.

And our ladder position is not even determined yet.

GO Catters

see below.. No KP option....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

As a Geelong member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Geelong match.

Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.

Tickets from $35*

*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.

Adelaide Oval,

the MCG and the SCG

132 849

ticketek.com.au

Domain Stadium and Spotless Stadium

1300 136 122

ticketmaster.com.au

More Information >>

AFL Travel is the AFL’s official travel destination and has ticket, accommodation and Virgin Australia flight packages for all Toyota AFL Finals Series matches played anywhere in Australia. To receive information on packages as soon as they’re released, subscribe today.

Subscribe >>

WHERE IS THE KP OPTION!!!

Last edited:
I see GWS winning the flag this year. Outrageous talent

Seen this a bit on here recently and I am not sure the 'talent' is that much better than other contenders. They are great runners and seem to grind teams down with running power late in games, but they havent yet shown an explosive side like the Crows or Swans to blow teams away.

I would say they are going to have to find another gear to push the Crows.

Geelong has the edge over them in midfield if Selwood is fit.

Feel confident about either of those options. Am in the anyone but Swans camp. ( even though I still think we can get them if we start right)

WHERE IS THE KP OPTION!!!
Came here after reading that email too, looks as though the AFL have already decided. Absolute joke, I'd love GFC to sue the AFL if we don't get to host a final at KP in the first two weeks. Richmond/Melbourne/Manchester United it shouldn't matter one bit. Fans have unprecedented access to the games being telecast these days, if they can't get into the game because the stadium is too small then stiff s**t.

If GWS can play a prelim at Spotless, we have every right in the world to play our finals (first two weeks at least) at KP.

/Rant

Back