Opinion Would you rather play GWS at Simonds or Richmond at the G?

If Geelong were to secure a home final, who would you rather see them face?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel silly saying it but I'd rather Richmond at the G. They are mentally a disaster waiting to happen. I'm more confident against them than any other finalist home or away.

Agree.. but the longer we beat them, the closer they are to rolling us, eventually.

God forbid it be in a ****ing final.

I mean look at the steak v Hawks ffs. :rolleyes::(

And the plot thickens....
Just got a GFC based but AFL delivered email about the Finals.....

And for all the ticket allocations and sales information for the different ticket vendors - not ONE has listed Skilled as a venue for finals ticket sales.

Based on that AFL has already decided we are playing at MCG or interstate.

And our ladder position is not even determined yet.

GO Catters

see below.. No KP option....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

As a Geelong member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Geelong match.

Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.

Tickets from $35*

*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.

Adelaide Oval,

the MCG and the SCG

132 849

ticketek.com.au

Domain Stadium and Spotless Stadium

1300 136 122

ticketmaster.com.au

More Information >>

AFL Travel is the AFL’s official travel destination and has ticket, accommodation and Virgin Australia flight packages for all Toyota AFL Finals Series matches played anywhere in Australia. To receive information on packages as soon as they’re released, subscribe today.

Subscribe >>

WHERE IS THE KP OPTION!!!
They mention Domain Stadium but the Eagles aren't confirmed finalists yet and they won't host a final even if they were.

It wasn't pretty, but today's win guarenteed us a top four spot. Now winning next week is obviously vital if we hope to secure a home final.

The two most likely scenarios for week one of finals are GWS at Simonds, or Richmond at the G. Which would you prefer?

Also possible...
Port Adelaide at the G*
Sydney at the G*
*Assuming the AFL would schedule them there, seems near impossible for them not to

(Personally I'd prefer Richmond at Simonds but that's an argument for another day.)
Welcome back. Haven't seen you in ages.

3 days out.... if i could choose then... and if its poor weather, rain n wind, I'd vote to entertain the northern brothers... the Western Sydney Giants, down at the cattery. Whereas if the weathers fine, I'd rather tackle the Tigers at the G.

Seen this a bit on here recently and I am not sure the 'talent' is that much better than other contenders. They are great runners and seem to grind teams down with running power late in games, but they havent yet shown an explosive side like the Crows or Swans to blow teams away.

I would say they are going to have to find another gear to push the Crows.

Geelong has the edge over them in midfield if Selwood is fit.
Geelong does not have any edge over GWS in the MF.
Kelly, Coniglio, Shiel, Ward, Scully, Whitfield v Danger, Selwood, Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, Guthrie
Cameron, Patton, Greene, Smith, Lobb v Hawkins, Taylor, Menzel, Motlop, Parsons,
They just appear to be more potent, but we do line up pretty well.

I see GWS winning the flag this year. Outrageous talent, and finally coming together getting all their injured players back. Their mids are polished, speedy and can run both ways, 2 exceptional power forwards, and possibly the best small forward. Deledio and SJ ill want to prove something, and their rucks are very good. Defence is ok. They will play Swans or Ade imo, so it matters not where we play week 1.
We are an outside chance. Even teams outside the top 4 worry- Ess, Mel, Port- all can have their day .
As a side issue, our record at the G is better than our record at Simonds for finals.
Individual talent yes, as a team maybe not so yet....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Simonds easily. We look our best when we can stop teams running into our defence through handball and kick to leads and force them to kick long and high, this is much easier to do on a narrower than wider ground. If all the finals this year were played at simonds we would win the flag this year IMO.

That said i reckon richmond is the one side we could beat at the G as i reckon they will be finals pretenders like in recent years where they have made finals. But i don't fancy trying to beat Sydney or GWS at the MCG.

Jon Anderson said this on Ross and John the other day- that the MCG just doesn't suit us due to the width.

Jon Anderson said this on Ross and John the other day- that the MCG just doesn't suit us due to the width.

It's a pretty well known fact re geelong's gameplan.

If we can devise a way to counter it over the next month i expect we will win the flag and if not i expect we won't, as we are good enough in the other key areas.

If we are to get a "home" final, it means we have beaten GWS at Geelong.
I don't feel confident against any of the top 7 teams, and why should we?
No convincing form against any of them.
Ade -w/l
GWS -draw/?
Tigers- narrow win (but we were depleted)
Swans- Loss
Port- narrow win
Bombers- Loss
Demons- narrow win

If the ? v GWS is converted to a W, that would do wonders for confidence for our players AND some supporters.

Last edited:
If we are to get a "home" final, it means we have beaten GWS at Geelong.
I don't feel confident against any of the top 7 teams, and why should we?
No convincing form against any of them.
Ade -w/l
GWS -draw/?
Tigers- narrow win (but we were depleted)
Swans- Loss
Port- narrow win
Bombers- Loss
Demons- narrow win

If the ? v GWS is converted to a W, that would do wonders for confidence for our players AND some supporters.
What a fun drum you've been beating all year about how dangerous opposition are, and how they should beat us. I'm by no means in the over confident camp when it comes to finals, but I'd rather be a bit excited and then crushed by disappointment than a perpetual doomsdayer. Each to their own of course.

If we lose this week against GWS without Selwood and maybe others, then get them back for finals, it becomes a different ball game. Same as a win, because we won't be playing finals at KP. If anything what I'm trying to say is this week's match might not be the best indicator of what to expect in September. With J Selwood back and our record in close games, I think the overall season suggests we are a chance in any final where we're close at QT. There are as many reasons to be confident as there are scared. You could say the same for almost any team in the 8.

Last edited:
What a fun drum you've been beating all year about how dangerous opposition are, and how they should beat us. I'm by no means in the over confident camp when it comes to finals, but I'd rather be a bit excited and then crushed by disappointment than a perpetual doomsdayer. Each to their own of course.

If we lose this week against GWS without Selwood and maybe others, then get them back for finals, it becomes a different ball game. Same as a win, because we won't be playing finals at KP. If anything what I'm trying to say is this week's match might not be the best indicator of what to expect in September. With J Selwood back and our record in close games, I think the overall season suggests we are a chance in any final where we're close at QT. There are as many reasons to be confident as there are scared. You could say the same for almost any team in the 8.
Your points are spot on.
We could do anything, as could all the teams.
I'm just saying I don't have a preference for playing any team that is in the 8, and although I agree we are a chance, I just am not confident, even at Geelong if we were to get GWS there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.. but the longer we beat them, the closer they are to rolling us, eventually.

God forbid it be in a ****ing final.

I mean look at the steak v Hawks ffs. :rolleyes::(

Yeah it will happen some time. Our streaks v Adelaide and Essendon ended this year too which doesn't bode well. We really should continue to have Richmond covered though.

Your points are spot on.
We could do anything, as could all the teams.
I'm just saying I don't have a preference for playing any team that is in the 8, and although I agree we are a chance, I just am not confident, even at Geelong if we were to get GWS there
Yeah that's fair enough my comment was meant in jest. I know it's very boring to sit on the fence but more than ever with this team I'm clueless as to what's going to happen. And the whole competition appear to have followed suit. For whatever complaints people have and the jibes about quality of football being down, it does make for engaging viewing. Even the Swannies, who look most imposing, have the GF failures to ponder and face four cut throat finals. Just because the Doggies did it, with a sample size of 1, that doesn't make it any less of a daunting task. Any dog on their day can rise to the occasion. And maybe if we're lucky, any cat as well. ;)

I rarely come by here these days, but it's good to see that Veedubs is still a glass half empty guy.

This wouldn't be the first year where he's given us little to no chance and we've hoisted the cup. But it's easier to say we won't win each year, because odds are we won't win every year.

I rarely come by here these days, but it's good to see that Veedubs is still a glass half empty guy.

This wouldn't be the first year where he's given us little to no chance and we've hoisted the cup. But it's easier to say we won't win each year, because odds are we won't win every year.
As I keep saying, I have no confidence in us winning any game from here on in, but we are every chance of winning the whole thing, IF...

Yeah it will happen some time. Our streaks v Adelaide and Essendon ended this year too which doesn't bode well. We really should continue to have Richmond covered though.
We just need the streak to continue to next year......then we might line up with an Ablett and the tigers line up without dusty.

GWS have immense talent, problem is they all play for themselves, not the team. Won't go anywhere until they have a 2007 revelation that coke and booze won't win you flags, just make you a f***boy at the local pub or nightclub.

Geelong play well in Adelaide so it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lose to GWS.
Likely to play Tigers at the G if we win and i would prefer that. Don't have to travel as far and will be playing a team that always chokes.

GWS have immense talent, problem is they all play for themselves, not the team. Won't go anywhere until they have a 2007 revelation that coke and booze won't win you flags, just make you a f***boy at the local pub or nightclub.
That sounds like a request rather than an analysis

Back