Would you redraft dal again

Would you redraft Nicky Dal

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

great work by lolnorth today to send off a few greats of the game the way they did... Contrast this with how we did it with Lenny for example

Anyways would you redraft dal to the senior or rookie list for 2017.

For me it's an obvious yes if his passion is still their, doesn't mean he needs to play games but can be picked up how lolnorth did with fazza ray or how we did with snids

I don't mind either way, if we decide there are no other recruits left then we throw him a life line. If it was the choice between a guy like Rockliff for example I would go the younger guy.

Yes.

It would be the same as effectively using the salary cap to expand your coaching panel. The biggest issue would be that Dal needs to be 100% committed. Every club needs to have at least three players to delist every year, having Dal on the list might actually help us plan for the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, but for minimum wage.

He has got the one the thing that our team lacks and desperately needs to take the next step.

If he could in some way impart some confidence or knowledge in the art of hitting a target then he would be worth every cent.

Yes and I'd pay him ok, he's practically like having another Montagna, I can't see it being a bad thing. Wright or Minchington get pushed out of the 22, who gives a *? But it does make it harder for Lonie/Sinclair to get back in tho I guess... I see Dal with 1-2 more seasons left, if he could play a role in 2018 when we hopefully push the top 4-6, then I'd probably redraft him. Would love to have him back at the club is some sort of skill development role regardless, although I'd say he'll be looking towards the media for a career after footy, rather than coaching

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people automatically assume that a good player will somehow make a good coach?

If he adds value then yes, otherwise pass.

Salary cap wise he'd potentially cost no more than a rookie.

Seriously, we're currently not using Vets discount, which kicks in after 10 years. Even if Chips goes, Roo, Joey, Gilbo, Armo, Gears and Dal himself would be vets.

At about 1.23% of the salary cap per vet. Or in real terms, the best part of $750k in "free" money

Salary cap wise he'd potentially cost no more than a rookie.

Seriously, we're currently not using Vets discount, which kicks in after 10 years. Even if Chips goes, Roo, Joey, Gilbo, Armo, Gears and Dal himself would be vets.

At about 1.23% of the salary cap per vet. Or in real terms, the best part of $750k in "free" money
wouldn't he cost even less cause he's a veteran?

To me the cost in dollars terms is irrelevant. What is relevant is that if he was playing he would take valuable games away from McKenzie/White/Lonie/Sinclair/Freeman. Loved Dal at the Saints but a big no for me for that reason.

Why do people automatically assume that a good player will somehow make a good coach?

If he adds value then yes, otherwise pass.

My experience suggests that when you have someone who can think at an elite level and execute skills within a training environment at an elite level, that a little bit of that organically permeates the psyche of younger players. So I would be fairly confident in saying that Dal would be a great mentor and coach by his very presence especially when he is embedded in the player group.

QUOTE="JG22, post: 46283652, member: 174272"]It's amazing the personal connection a player has to its supporters, many on here seriously considering dal Santo.

The club would not even consider dal santo in the slightest. To make the tough decision to let go and then to bring him back...
Goes against list management, you have to move on[/QUOTE]

I must state at the outset that I have no understanding of how list management works. But, I would think that most recruiting departments would believe that any club that wants to challenge for finals needs to have a solid core group of 30 players that can play at the AFL level, in order to better manage players over a very long and arduous season. The Saints are well short of that at the moment. I would suggest bringing him back for depth would be pragmatic, especially if we are serious about making the eight next year. He doesn't need to be in our starting 22, and we can continue to play the youth. But if we were, god forbid, crueled by injury or if younger players just needed a rest, Dal would be a handy player to have in the wings. He is a known quantity. We know he will re-connect easily and quickly with the biggest chunk of the playing group on and off the field. And we know that if he should be asked to pull on the red, white and black again he will wear it with a pride that you can't just buy off the shelf.

Last edited:
I feel like Dal is the type that would gravitate towards media more than coaching.
It's totally unnecessary, would rather gamble on an untried NOK type for the small chance of unearthing a Sam Mitchell than having an ever declining Dal Santo

What did he play in ? 2 or 3 losing prelims and 2 losing GFs for us.
And 2 losing prelims for Kangas?

If i was Dal id ring up the Giants and say "I'll play for free next yr. Just give me one more crack at it pleeeeeeeease "
Think just one prelim for the Roos.

Back