Would you redraft dal again

Would you redraft Nicky Dal

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Dal would absolutely love the chance to potentially play finals with Roo, Joey and Dempster again and it would be a great story, but it might not be in our best interests considering we're unlikely to be challenging for top 4 next year. With that said, if we could have either Brenton Payne or Dal Santo taking our last rookie spot next year I'd go with Dal. He could be a great mentor to Billings who has similar skills but needs a bit of Dal Santo-like composure and confidence. Acres, Sinclair and Templeton could learn plenty from him as well.

If we could rookie him as an assistant coach/part time player I'd be stoked to have Dal back at the club. I think a big factor in letting him go to North was to relieve salary cap pressure. That isn't an issue at all for us now and he'd come a lot cheaper and on a one year contract.

NDS is actually younger than Rooey. No one here is calling for Roo to retire, we all want him to keep on going until he is 38. I believe the game has gone beyond recruiting young athletes and training them to play football.

I remember all of us laughing at Clarkson when he recruited an overweight ex-player sitting on a barstool in Los Angeles..... and that was the start of the dynasty.

Happily I'd delist Saunders and Murdoch
Saunders is on the rookie list.

Murdoch is 22 and although hasn't shown a lot at AFL level, he has shown a lot of improvement this year. Not sure I'd be comfortable delisting him just so we can add another 10 years onto our list for a guy that wont be there when we are an actual chance to contest for a flag.

NDS is actually younger than Rooey. No one here is calling for Roo to retire, we all want him to keep on going until he is 38. I believe the game has gone beyond recruiting young athletes and training them to play football.

I remember all of us laughing at Clarkson when he recruited an overweight ex-player sitting on a barstool in Los Angeles..... and that was the start of the dynasty.
Dew was 29 and recruited to a side pushing for a Premiership.

Dal Santo will be 33 before round one next year coming into a side that didn't even play finals....

I like the romance of it but it would go completely against the whole recruiting strategy of the club. Cannot see it happening and I think that is probably a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is aiming for finals next year. If we are in the finals then we are a chance for the flag.
We are aiming at finals next year, as we grow our side and push for a flag by 2020.

I can't see us making top 4 next year and not one side has one from outside the 4 since the new system came in. We need to be realistic.

We are aiming at finals next year, as we grow our side and push for a flag by 2020.

I can't see us making top 4 next year and not one side has one from outside the 4 since the new system came in. We need to be realistic.

As a saints supporter being realistic isn't high on my list of life values.

Try telling a Leicester City supporter to be realistic, just because no one has done it before doesn't mean that it cannot be done. We just need to be the first ones to do it.

As a saints supporter being realistic isn't high on my list of life values.

Try telling a Leicester City supporter to be realistic, just because no one has done it before doesn't mean that it cannot be done. We just need to be the first ones to do it.
We wouldn't be the first to bring in a 33 year old at the end of his career though. We used to be the retirement village for aging stars, and it never won us a flag.

Saunders is on the rookie list.

Murdoch is 22 and although hasn't shown a lot at AFL level, he has shown a lot of improvement this year. Not sure I'd be comfortable delisting him just so we can add another 10 years onto our list for a guy that wont be there when we are an actual chance to contest for a flag.
Yeh, but if we went down the path of having NDS in a Schneiderman type role, he wouldn't be blocking anyone worthwhile.
Murdoch is not going to be part of our push regardless, I'd be surprised if he isn't gone at the end of this year.

Yes.

It would be the same as effectively using the salary cap to expand your coaching panel. The biggest issue would be that Dal needs to be 100% committed. Every club needs to have at least three players to delist every year, having Dal on the list might actually help us plan for the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Couldnt you just hire him as coach outside the salary cap and half the price?
He seems more interested in doing media.

Yeh, but if we went down the path of having NDS in a Schneiderman type role, he wouldn't be blocking anyone worthwhile.
Murdoch is not going to be part of our push regardless, I'd be surprised if he isn't gone at the end of this year.
What exactly was the 'Schnederman' type role? We were bottom of the ladder in his last few years so it was hardly a raging success.
We dont need that 'role' anymore (whatever it was).

What exactly was the 'Schnederman' type role? We were bottom of the ladder in his last few years so it was hardly a raging success.
We dont need that 'role' anymore (whatever it was).
Rookie list, upgrade if deserving.
But yes, NDS would probably end up taking away games from McKenzie, Webster, White, etc, so the club won't do it.
He was just my favourite player for a long period of time, so I would love him back just for the romance side of things.
Club will be less emotional, so they won't even consider him.
I'm aloud to dream though right?

To me it would be only if we go through the trade period and don't bring anyone else of quality we then have the option of getting a free player of known quality who will help us make finals. I think it's more unlikely than likely but for romance sake would love to have him back.

No, not at all. He's going to be 33 next year, what does he offer? We already have Armo and Steven as leaders in our midfield with Ross coming through, we don't need him. If our midfield was only sub 50 game kids then yeah sure, bring in an old head to help keep them together, but they're not. All he'd do is take someone like Acres out of the side.

I'd much prefer Goddard back and played in the back line to help paper over lack of back men for another two or so years just so the kids aren't thrown into the thick of it all at once.

Rookie list, upgrade if deserving.
But yes, NDS would probably end up taking away games from McKenzie, Webster, White, etc, so the club won't do it.
He was just my favourite player for a long period of time, so I would love him back just for the romance side of things.
Club will be less emotional, so they won't even consider him.
I'm aloud to dream though right?

LOL, you are only allowed to dream on this forum if everyone agrees with your dream.

Back