Would you redraft dal again

Would you redraft Nicky Dal

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are aiming at finals next year, as we grow our side and push for a flag by 2020.

I can't see us making top 4 next year and not one side has one from outside the 4 since the new system came in. We need to be realistic.
I'm not sure we will play finals next year with a harder draw. There, I said it!

I'm not sure we will play finals next year with a harder draw. There, I said it!

NM will drop out of the 8 surely.

WCE - could

GWS won't

Hawks - I reckon could all their players another year older and we are seeing them decline. However IMO they should stay up there.

Swans - won't

WB - If there bad run of injuries continues next year possibly but unlikely.

Adelaide - too strong

Geelong - unlikely.

I honestly reckon there are probably 2 spots that clubs like Dees, Saints, Pies & maybe PA will be fighting for in 2017. So it'll be tough but lets hope 7-8 of the young players all improve and with Carlisle back should also steady the ship defensively. And a KPI - we should look at our Points Against this year and compare it to next year to see how much difference Jakey boy will make.

Pass for me.

If we want to add an experienced midfielder into the fold we can simply move Joey from the backline into the guts.

This. We moved Joey out of the middle to develop the next generation. It doesn't hurt that he sets us up so well from the backline, even if he isn't much chop as an actual defender. There is no place for Dal in out line up that we couldn't just move Joey to and then promote one of our kids to Joey's (nominal) half back role.

Not a chance.
He had a opportunity to stay for the rebuild, he did not want it.
He'll be 33 next year and he will be keeping out a young player.
Lets just keep playing our kids and keep blooding/playing guys like
NOK, Acres, McKenzie, Eli, Pick (10), Gresh, Lonie etc.

You're right in that Dal ultimately left but I think the club at the time gave him a push out of the door.

But yeah, I'd rather give some of our untried players a run in the seniors than Dal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about "Boomer"?

Couldn't he play yet another season?

He's footballs Toyota Camry - just goes forever

Last edited:
You're right in that Dal ultimately left but I think the club at the time gave him a push out of the door.

But yeah, I'd rather give some of our untried players a run in the seniors than Dal.

I don't think the club pushed him out, however, I believe they said you can do what you want and we will support that decision. If he wanted to stay he could very well have instead he decided to join what would ultimately be a ship slowly sinking.

Dal was so one hour ago....we've all moved on to JOM. We are like gold fish. Hope he likes his retirement.
nope get him on the rookie list

There seems to be only two perceived options for many here. He retires or is best 22, taking up a youth's spot.

What if he, as a SFA, takes a bottom 40 player's spot on the list, then plays for Sandy, with the odd senior game if another senior like Joey is injured: a mentor/backup? People keep saying he won't want to play at Sandy... But if he's retiring from AFL, and that's the alternative people have identified, he might not mind still being on an AFL list for a bit longer. You're a long time retired after all.

Id take him as a rookie and only if Fisher retires. Cant refuse having an old head around the club in case of emergency.

If we had a year like the Dogs and lost all of Joey, Newnes and JWeb to injury then id be ok with Dal coming in.

This. We moved Joey out of the middle to develop the next generation. It doesn't hurt that he sets us up so well from the backline, even if he isn't much chop as an actual defender. There is no place for Dal in out line up that we couldn't just move Joey to and then promote one of our kids to Joey's (nominal) half back role.

Joey is actually way more versatile, and if some of our forwards could transition to the midfield Joey would be awesome in a forward pocket until he has more games than boomer. He can play inside and outside.

I don't buy the "taking a spot from the youth" thing, they need to be better than a 33 year old.
However the Saints have this "high pressure" on the ball carrier strategy and I don't think that would be something Nick could do at all well. So no from me.

Big fan if Dal during his time with the Saints. But at 33 next season he would be holding back someone from developing. Pass for mine.

Hope the saints pick him up. A great story but you guys have improved and seem to be finals bound he could be the cream on top if he can get himself through 2017

Steven
Armitage
Ross
Acres
Dunstan
Newnes
Steele*

There's not really an elite kick in our engine room at this point in time. Sure, Billings and Gresham are nice ball users but they're still a couple of years off being genuine midfielders. Dal is clearly not the player he once was but he's averaged 25 disposals this season and still has that class by foot we so desperately crave. We'd get him for absolutely nothing and his experience going into a finals campaign next year (hopefully) would be priceless.

Back