Would you support the Hawks if...?

Remove this Banner Ad

OnTheRocks

Premiership Player
Mar 11, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If for whatever reason the Hawthorn FC relocated outside of Melbourne and dropped the Hawthorn to Hawks, would you still support them?

eldorado

Previously eldorado
Oct 18, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Athletic Bilbao
If the players continued with no change, and the jumper continued, possibly...the way South Melbourne supporters get behind Sydney.

Don't know if it would be the same, or close...but it has more chance of getting my attention than a merge.

stemline

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That would be my queue to completely ditch following the AFL.

Would probably find a local league and pick a team there. Maybe Box Hill if they somehow survived, which would be unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dinsdale

®Moderation of beer©
Jun 5, 2007
Brewery
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
East Perth, CI Warriors, Beer
its a silly question really, Jerff's latest outburst was just a trolling reaction to the Tassie PM trying to act tough and deliver the AFL an ultimatum.

When did the AFL ever bow to outside pressure?

Our club has enough money and assets to stay where we are, we arent going anywhere.

Mercy Seat

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is nothing Fitzroy about the Brisbane Lions and nothing South Melbourne about the Sydney Swans. There is no such thing as a relocation, it’s one club ceasing to exist and a totally new club being formed.
100%. The club isn’t yours anymore. It’s a whole new state’s, a whole new set of supporters and a whole new life and soul.

I know both Fitzroy and old South Melbourne supporters whose love and passion for footy disappeared overnight with their clubs relocation. Sometimes they’ll feign interest if that club makes a Grand Final or something, but beyond that, there’s nothing.

Dewnior

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It would be like losing the love of your life forever. You know they'd want you to get on with your life but you'd still try and hang on to whatever you can.

Those saying they would walk away from the game are talking sh*t.

Flukey!

Premium Gold
Sep 23, 2005
Premiership Central
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Toronto BlueJays
Those saying they would walk away from the game are talking sh*t.
Rubbish.
I would absolutely be done.
The game is no longer a game - it is a business that is manipulated to suit the interests of the AFL.
A relocation would be the last straw for me.

Btw...there is as much chance of Hawthorn relocating to Tassie as them playing for premiership points at Windy Hill.
It wont happen.

Hawkas1988

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
I'd follow them but not like i do. I wouldn't be a member and I wouldn't care anymore tbh

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Alite

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
Snowtown
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some of the older people in this chat may remember when the AFL moved away from Waverley and the ground went into ruin. My family loved going to Waverley and one person in my family was more heartbroken than most when we could no longer go to a local game. My brother broke into the ground and used the bench seats to write the words “Shame AFL” ... or was it AFL Shame... something like that in the middle of the oval. A TV station helicopter saw it and made it news.

My brother no longer goes to games. His thought was, why support Hawthorn if they will not be where I want them ... or at least that is what I understood from his actions.

I think my brother was a poor supporter of Hawthorn. He gave up on them when they left Waverley Park.

Why is it that we only support a team that is near our home? Many in bigfooty support soccer teams in England and NBA teams in the USA. Their location is irrelevant.

Hell yes I would support Hawthorn wherever they went. A home is not where you sh*t but where your heart lives.

But I want to go to games. If that Tennent is respected, I’ll follow the team to NZ.

Your melts can start here ! 😞

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad