Would you support the Hawks if...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think of the question like this :
Would you change clubs if we relocated?
Takes away the emotional knee jerk response to Jeff.

Interesting.

I grew up following Hawthorn only on black and white tv, and ABC radio in the country. I didn't see them live until they came to play a pre-season game in Sale when I was 10 or 11.

So, like you, I may be more flexible to the idea that the team I follow isn't necessarily local to where I live.

Following from a distance didn't stop me being any less fanatical, I think...

I was in Adelaide when the Crows came along in 1991. Many of my mates followed AFL teams (some of whom weren't particularly successful) and dropped them to follow the Crows. When people started getting into me about it, I just told them I'd followed the Hawks since the late 60s, my all time favourite player Peter Hudson was what prompted me to support the Hawks.

The 1970s were good, 3 flags. The 1980s even better, 7 Grand Finals in a row, 4 flags. I met some wonderful people within the club and loved my annual travels to Glenferrie, usually followed by another trip back for the Grand Final. Great, great memories and a very large part of my life. If things weren't going along as smooth as I would have liked in business or other aspects of life, I always had the Hawks to put a smile on my face.

Come 1991 and we were belted by the Crows in round one and the calls continued for me to abandon the Hawks, but no way was that ever going to happen. I was into Hawthorn culture in a big way. I kept being told Crows were the future and Hawks are on the way out. I keep reminding my Crows friends that since that day, Hawks have won 5 flags, Crows 2, so my decision to remain loyal had been vindicated.

There would be many Hawks fans a lot younger than me, but many of them would have enjoyed the euphoria of the 2008 flag, as well as the 2013-15 three-peat. I couldn't imagine many of those could walk away from the club which has provided so much pleasure. If they do, they're very hard people to please, that's for sure.

BTW, as a Norwood member as well, it's great seeing Poppy tearing up the track at Norwood Oval. He's looking very fit and raring to go. :)

I've been rusted on since 1957 so probably not. Jeff on the other hand ................................. can go very very far away.

Last edited:
Of course I'd support them. It's not like I ever lived or will live in Hawthorn, let alone Waverley.

They're still my team wherever they would happen to go.

Teams aren't so much suburb versus suburb anymore but tribal 'my lot versus your lot'.

Hypothetically I’m thinking if it’s to give tassie a team then it’s no longer going to be Hawthorn - it’s going to reflect Tasmania.

it won’t be a deal if they remain the hawks because you won’t attract the required supporter base - if it’s just a relocation then they would already be following us and that’s not happening. From what I can gather I think it’s dropping away and to top it off for all the juniors we might have encouraged to take up the game, it’s not even our zone.

I’m envisioning hawks gone ala Fitzroy and Tassie being a stand alone team and that’s a no from me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting different take.

I definitely wouldn't support a different team. Never.

It would be the relocated team or no one.

I agree with Mr. P.

It would be tough, but I guess I would get over it. I would not swap to another team.... no way.

I guess it's easier for me. I have been to two games since 2006 :)

No. I sent an email to the club yesterday on this very subject.

I would give up the game completely and find something else to do with my time.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've watched the game for fifty years and it keeps getting worst. That's why we now have a womens comp. Not for equality but because the interest in the mens comp is waning.

Posted this on the Main Board...

3rd for total revenue
3rd for operating profit
4th for total profit
5th for sponsorship
8th for gate reciepts
4th for merchandise
17th for AFL distribution (West Coast is 18th)
2nd for assets (West Coast is 1)
1st for cash at bank (
2nd for member equity (West Coast is 1)

We will do just fine without Tasmania

Luckily this is just Jeff sprouting off, but I would definitely still follow the club as i wouldn't switch to another team.

However, judging by how much my interest declined last year once it was clear i couldn't attend the footy, and they'd be interstate for the season, i think my passion for the club would be greatly diminished.

Luckily this is just Jeff sprouting off, but I would definitely still follow the club as i wouldn't switch to another team.

However, judging by how much my interest declined last year once it was clear i couldn't attend the footy, and they'd be interstate for the season, i think my passion for the club would be greatly diminished.
Nothing will change the crowd situation this year as well. The vaccine will not be a game changer either.

They'd still be my side because I couldn't support anyone else, but not sure how much passion I'd have and my love for AFL would subside.
Given your overwhelmingly negative posting record in the years since I've been on these boards, I'd seriously question whether you support Hawthorn at all.

If it was to Tassie I think I would. I'm not sure though. Actually, I"m 100% sure I'd stick with us.

I've already done this once, it's not a great feeling.

I was a Fitzroy supporter growing up, my whole family was due to family playing there over different generations. When the AFL railed us everyone got pretty dirty and stopped following a club, with a bit of a soft spot for Brisbane obviously. I was only 12 at the time, got to the age of 15 and decided I needed a team to follow, long story short I'm a Hawk since 1999.

No disrespect but Waverley was only our home for about 8 years. I’m only in my 30s but am young enough to have gone to Princes Park every week, followed by Waverley and now the G.
I appreciate the respectful comment.
My brothers and I used to go to any Hawthorn game at Waverley in the 70s to collect cans for money.
When the Hawks relocated to AFL park (Waverley) my brother was all in. He was a pig in slop. The happiest man around. We saw Dunstall kick 17 goals against ... I think tigers or lions... buggerded if I know ... (a search says the tigers) Awesome stuff, great day for we brothers, laughing at every goal after his 10th.
My brother did not deal well with the change to the MCG.
I have since offer him free tickets to games each year to this day, but he does not come. He just riles at the injustice and says, “why should I bother”. I tell him to get over it, he says he is done with it... but I know he watches.

Now that I write this: my brother and Don Scott should hang out. 😅

Mercy Seat, as you say Waverley was only the Hawks home for about 8 years... but a few supports were invested when they were there and lost their wad when the Hawks left. Some people cannot handle change... which I think is ridiculous as change is the only certainty in life.

Aside: thanks for the kind challenge... these were good memories for me to relay to make my point. 😜. It was fun

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back