Would you trust a self driving car

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If Telsa the electric car manufacturer start bringing out a self driving transport service alternative to Uber and Taxis would you be comfortable using one.

They say they will bring them out in coming years and by 10 years it will be fully up and running in the public transport industry.

I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable going in a self driving car. Something about putting my life in the hands of technology I just could never bring myself to trust. I've had too many problems with household electronics to know anything driven electronical can never be trusted. Would you use one. I can sense this as being a distaster and can't see it ever happening.

Isn't it a little insane that we happily jump in to Ubers and taxis and buses with human drivers?

Like, whenever I get into an Uber, I have no idea how good this person is as a driver. Do they know the road rules? Have they been drinking? Could they be distracted by their phone and crash? I'm literally putting my life in the hands of someone I met 10 minutes ago. A human that is prone to mistakes and has emotions. They could be a suicidal psycho who decides to crash the car into a tree at 150 km/h with me inside, and there's nothing I could do to stop it. Hundreds of people have been killed because some airline pilots decide to go off the deep end and commit murder-suicide.

So yeah, I would trust a robot driver... much more so than a human.

Last edited:

Now? Probably not.

In 10 years? Sure. We put trust into other people on a daily basis, when you're crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing, when you drive through a green light etc. You're trusting other drivers to stop at the crossing or red light so they don't hit you. Why? because they're bound by rules. Just as computers are, and in fact they're bound by rules and only rules, whereas with humans there's no certainty that a human will abide by them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd find it boring as *.

Many people enjoy the experience of driving. It's why so much money is spent on restoring old cars.

This technology is best suited to those Asian ladies who are going for their licence for the 15th time.

They wouldn't need a licence anymore, technology is driving for them.

We have trust in the thousands of components of a modern car (all build by the lowest bidder) so I don't think it's that much more of a stretch.

Would gladly do it today if it meant not having to chit chat with some random stranger.

I've rushed for public transport to spare me the Uber driver who wants to talk and listen to s**t FM. 2014 when they were quiet with a clean car feels a long time ago.

Need to differentiate between autonomous and self-driving.

To my knowledge self-driving still requires you to be attentive at the wheel, from Tesla vids I have seen they get you to put your hands on the wheel every so often to make sure you are there, kind of defeats the purpose.

Need to differentiate between autonomous and self-driving.

To my knowledge self-driving still requires you to be attentive at the wheel, from Tesla vids I have seen they get you to put your hands on the wheel every so often to make sure you are there, kind of defeats the purpose.

Shirley, the main point about self driving cars is that they will drive you home from the pub when you are pissed. If a qualified, sober driver is required to be behind the wheel at all times then it's a waste of time.

One of the issue's I see is legally your suppose leave 2 car length gap for example, in peak hour nobody does this, if every automatic car did this it would cause massive traffic built up..and letting cars in etc.. is it smart enough to do this?

One of the issue's I see is legally your suppose leave 2 car length gap for example, in peak hour nobody does this, if every automatic car did this it would cause massive traffic built up..and letting cars in etc.. is it smart enough to do this?

As a semi-regular user of Perth's Freeway system I have 100% faith that robots could merge better. Cars getting too close together causes more traffic than it eases.

No it won’t, because self-driving cars will be able to sit closer safely, as the first car in a line of, say 10 cars, will be able to signal the 9 behind they are going to brake, how hard and continue to update the other 9 every few milliseconds. No slamming on the brakes to be rear ended.

In order to support this though you need dedicated driverless car lanes. So at first it won’t improve traffic much, until numbers allow these lanes, then if your choice is a driverless car allowed to travel safely at 120 peak hour traffic versus 40 if you want to drive, soon enough cars will be more the weekend drives or off-roading. Most will be happy to pass the task off. Kids born this year, many wont bother getting a license and their kids almost none will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back