Coach Would you want Paul Roos to have anything to do with your football department?

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is bad enough that the Shaw rumours have been proven accurate.

To make matters worse, the 'Roos to Roos' rumour may also have legs.

I've never met Roos, I'm sure he's a nice guy, and well-respected in the industry. I've got nothing against him.

But let's be real: he won a flag with a team getting, what was it, a 20% bonus on top of the salary cap at the time?

And that flag was fifteen years ago. The game has evolved dramatically in the time since.

Then he went to Melbourne who, with no disrespect to Demons fans, have done four-fifths of **** all in the seven years since Roos was brought in.

Roos sits there on the couch with Gerard Healy and pontificates about this, about that, and so on. Okay, great. I don't care and I don't watch.

One of the things I liked most about Shaw was that he was young, he was fresh, he seemed like the job was more than just a job to him.

If we're going to have some guy trot out tired cliches while pretending to make the place more 'professional', we might as well bring back Brads Scotts.

At least Brads was good at giving the players real estate advice and encouragement to set themselves up for life after footy.

So anyway, now on to my question for you:

Would you want Paul Roos to have anything to do with your football department?

As a long-term North member...

ImportantAromaticKillerwhale-size_restricted.gif

To be Brutally honest. Most clubs should have a look at him in some role...

Either as a rebuilding coach for 2-3 year like he did at the demons in 2014-16. Or as an Assistant coach or Director of Football.

I look at Neil Craigs Resume. Retired as a Player in the SANFL in 1990.

But his post playing Career from 1991-2017.

His background isnt bad. He Became norwoods coach in the SANFL from 1991-95, got them to a grand final in 1993. He was a vital part in the Crows 1997-98 side as he was a Fitness coach. From 2001-2004, he was a Crows assistant coach under Gray Ayres. Neil Craig was a crows coach.... 1st as an interim coach in the 2nd half of 2004 then became their Full time Senoir Coach from 2005- mid 2011. Crows played finals from 2005-9. Got sacked in mid 2011 as the crows didnt make finals in 2010 and 2011. Once he left the crows, he went to Victoria and became Director of Sports Performance at the Melbourne Football Club in september of 2011. His main role was working with the Playing squad, especially the young players and working with the assistant coaches.

He was then at Essendon for 2 seasons and did various roles 1st off as a development coach from september 2013 to April of 2014. He was then promoted as a General Manager in 2014. So bascially, he oversaw the whole footy department.

then from Late 2015 until late 2017, He worked under Brendan Bolton as part of carltons coaching panel.

Not a bad resume being a coach in the SANFL, fitness coach, Assistant coach, AFL coach and a vital roles in other footy departments.

Good thread I think.
The idea of "in case of emergency, get Paul Roos" is stupid. Sure, there may be situations where he fits but it's not going to be perfect for everyone.
Looking at how Melbourne fans talk of Goodwin, they don't appear to think Roos has made him a great coach either.

No, but sometimes having someone with that experience is valuable in preventing further stupidity from the board or people with little football knowledge.

Not saying that applies to North, but sometimes it can be useful

I think the way we went about hiring Brad Scott and Shaw left a lot to be desired, not that the decisions were wrong but the process in which we went about making the decisions. I don't think board/management went about the process in a professional manner and I think we need to have a better process going forward.

Is Paul Roos the best person for the job? Who knows. I don't think it is a crisis, but given where our list is at, it is not like Geelong replacing Bomber Thompson, I could have coached Geelong that year and done well, but when you have a rebuilding list with a lot of young players I think you need to find the right type of coach for that role otherwise it can go horribly wrong.

It certainly gets the media off your back for a while - they bloody love Paul Roos.

Must be a smashing bloke.
100% correct,

pretty Sure he’s a great guy....just ask him

Last edited:

I've never met Roos, I'm sure he's a nice guy, and well-respected in the industry. I've got nothing against him.

But let's be real: he won a flag with a team getting, what was it, a 20% bonus on top of the salary cap at the time?

And that flag was fifteen years ago. The game has evolved dramatically in the time since.

Then he went to Melbourne who, with no disrespect to Demons fans, have done four-fifths of **** all in the seven years since Roos was brought in.

Roos sits there on the couch with Gerard Healy and pontificates about this, about that, and so on. Okay, great. I don't care and I don't watch.

One of the things I liked most about Shaw was that he was young, he was fresh, he seemed like the job was more than just a job to him.

If we're going to have some guy trot out tired cliches while pretending to make the place more 'professional', we might as well bring back Brads Scotts.

At least Brads was good at giving the players real estate advice and encouragement to set themselves up for life after footy.

I think in terms of getting Melbourne out of the hole they were in and setting them up to move forward he did a good job (along with Peter Jackson).

It’s not really Roos’ fault that Goodwin has ended up being a bad coach.

Bring back Brad Scott. Honestly I think that would be a good option as you will need someone to take the hammerings north will get over the next few years. Which young coach will want to take on North? It will be a coach career ender like Bolton etc. where the next one will get all the benefits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realise Paul Roos isn't employed by Melbourne any more?

We improved every year he was there, and for two years after he left.

That said, I hope he goes to your club, phones it in, and you end up in an even shitter position than you are now.

You realise Paul Roos isn't employed by Melbourne any more?

Indeed.

We improved every year he was there, and for two years after he left.

Fair enough. But my original point remains valid: your club has done four-fifths of **** all since Roos was brought in.

That's not trying to be nasty, either. My club has done the same (although at least we were competitive in one of our prelims).

That said, I hope he goes to your club, phones it in, and you end up in an even shitter position than you are now.

This is my concern tbh.

Roos took over Melbourne after a 2 win season and a percentage of 54% in 2013.

His job was to rebuild the list over 3 years and let someone else take over. That list got to a prelim in 2018. The past 2 years of Melbourne playing below that standard isn’t really Roos’ fault. But this year Melbourne finished 9th and the young players from Paul Roos’ rebuild are starting to emerge, Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Weideman ect.. as a supporter I have more confidence of moving up than down at the moment.

Paul would be a good get for North imo

I've found you a solution - see my thread!

KEVIN SHEEDY

Showman, Front-Man, Head Coach (but not so much match day), taking the heat (for cheap) for 2 years while a Young Coach sits behind him ready to step up in 2023 when the team is heading in the right direction.

Did I mention cheap and value for money in terms of publicity?

Bargain Basement & Brilliant.

Answer : YES

The better question for you is:

Would Paul Roos be prepared to have anything to do with North Melbourne?

Independently very wealthy and successful, I believe until recently on extended 3 month holiday in Hawaii.

You don't seem to have had any qualms about R Shaw appointment.?
Rhyce several times has nominated P Roos as the biggest influence on his football career
Think about that ! Shaw do you know the surname?

You lot didn't seem to have qualms about recent surprise appointment of John Blakey.
P Roos life long friend and his first appointment as assistant.
Been there Sydney coaching in finals for well over a decade

I think that Paul Roos might do it for Rhyce Shaw and John Blakey and probably to help out AFL House????
They would know his value better than you or me

But you ought not hold your breath and hope you are lucky.

btw Nowhere near 20% and won it with self confessed "cortina's" compared to Eagles list

and set up a dynasty at the top.

But ....Back to your knicker twisting drama queen ignorant whinging!

Fair enough. But my original point remains valid: your club has done four-fifths of **** all since Roos was brought in.
You realise he's not employed by Melbourne any more yeah?

We improved every year he was there. We stopped improving once he left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back