Coach Would you want Paul Roos to have anything to do with your football department?

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos is good at developing a team first mindset.
His actual coaching though leaves a lot to be desired.

His only tactic was to contest the game, and never had a plan b
Sounds like Goodwin.

I reckon Roos did a good job at Melbourne and would do a good job @ North for a year or two until they find a suitable replacement. At least you know they will compete.

Sounds like Goodwin.

I reckon Roos did a good job at Melbourne and would do a good job @ North for a year or two until they find a suitable replacement. At least you know they will compete.
sounds like most coaches tbh

Only a few very select coaches have a plan b

Paul roos is regarded by everyone in the media as a gun coach so I'll have to agree with that wouldn't want to get banned

Roos got the job done at Melbourne and righted the ship. Would be a good get for North in their present situation, but only if he really wants to do it and isn't swayed by the cash.

The AFL gave millions to help Melbourne pay out staff redundancies as Roos arrived so it's not unreasonable for North to request similar assistance.

Is Melbourne really your idea of a “righted ship”?

Having said that I think he could play a Neil Balme type of role at most bottom-8 clubs.

And no I wouldn’t want him at our club, clearly we don’t need him.

He is a good but humourless fellow. Swans played humourless footy. Dees were /have been borderline depressed as a club.

There are not many giggles at the Roos house. Foreplay is a hand written paper with drawings of digits, appendices, crevices and orifices with curly arrows showing flow the action.

Breakfast is a slab of boiled sweet potato with unslated butter, or unsalted salt.

Free evenings are spent do neighborhood patrols with old limping folk with stories.

The family game to get kiss off the device is drafts.

Yeah, Roos would be good for a club.

Roos is clearly a good coach, no bad coach wins a flag. But I don’t understand why he has this massive reputation. The way he gets talked up it’s like he won three flags in a row.
He really clearly, is not. He is enormously over rated my god!
I dont get the media Roos infatuation.
One flag, just....with the compo payments from the AFL in 2005?
Yeah, ******* nah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Melbourne really your idea of a “righted ship”?

Having said that I think he could play a Neil Balme type of role at most bottom-8 clubs.

And no I wouldn’t want him at our club, clearly we don’t need him.

Obviously Richmond has no need to seek out Paul Roos.

Melbourne was coming off consecutive seasons of 8, 4 & 2 wins/105, 106 & 122 points per game against/percentage of 85, 67, 54.

Year 1 - 4 wins, still 17th but points against down to 89 ppg, 68%
Year 2 - 7 wins, 13th, scoring up by 11 ppg, 77%
Year 3 - 10 wins, 11th, scoring up by 17 ppg, 98%, youngest team in the comp

Roos' tenure ended with the club in a great position to go forward, and the list remains in solid shape today. That they have struggled (apart from 2018) to improve is no fault of Roos'. All that needs fixing is the players' heads. Brayshaw/Harmes/McDonald/Salem/Melksham are well down on peak output, and Tomlinson/Lever haven't delivered.

Last edited:
Melbourne won with aggressive, flowing, daring attacking footy.

Paul Roos may have built individual character and team ethos but game style has nothing to do with him at all.
So we'll just conveniently ignore that Melbourne were the best defensive side in the league?

Paul Roos may have built individual character and team ethos but game style has nothing to do with him at all.

He laid the foundations mate.

Robert Walls coached Brisbane from 1991-1995 and laid important ground work which lead to the Brisbane 2001-4 grand final sides.

Roos took an F team and made them into a C- team, which does not sound like much but it is actually a huge step. He didn't take them to a flag today but I strongly suspect without Roos Melbourne would still be either in the bottom 4 or near it. He changed them from a club with a defeatist culture to one that knew they could win.

Bullshit.

Roos built a game style centred around defence which is the absolute cornerstone of a good side. Game style right now for us is a premier defensive unit that sets us up going forward.

Just have a look at the importance of May, Lever, Salem etc to our success. People forget how horrendous we were pre Roos and how sides were absolutely going to town on our excuse for a defence. Anyone choosing to discount Roos has NFI.

Roos took an F team and made them into a C- team, which does not sound like much but it is actually a huge step. He didn't take them to a flag today but I strongly suspect without Roos Melbourne would still be either in the bottom 4 or near it. He changed them from a club with a defeatist culture to one that knew they could win.

This is it in a nutshell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back