Would you watch a televised national womens league

Remove this Banner Ad

Have just come from the AFLNZ web site and AFLNZ have announced that their Youth Girls team will be playing in the 2016 U18 Womens Australian National Championships. This is a big step forward for the Kiwi girls who only have been up and running for a couple of years.
Probably will go into Div 2.

Have you got the link to that article? Keen to read it.

Thanks for that TWLS.

Meanwhile, GPF have laid down the challenge to the AFL to 'name a date' for the start of the national women's league.

http://www.[NB: girlsplayfooty doma...5/07/afl-must-confirm-womens-competition.html

Thanks for that TWLS.

Meanwhile, GPF have laid down the challenge to the AFL to 'name a date' for the start of the national women's league.

http://www.[NB: girlsplayfooty doma...5/07/afl-must-confirm-womens-competition.html
Do not think the assessment was entirely fair to be honest. Saw an assessment by Debbie Lee after the 2017 suggestion, and she made it clear she didn't think they had enough talent to make that target. Secondly, I think a lot of the issues to be addressed are closed door issues, so it is hard to say nothing is happening, when it may be.

Many people saw women's footy first 20 years ago, and judged it by that standard ever since. If the national league underwelms, many will not give it another chance. VWFL premier div standard or slightly better is not enough. If more than a minority of premier div players are good enough to get in, standard is to low. So I think premier division has 2 teams worth at best, the rest of the country does not have 6, or even 4. That if s if everyone good enough is able to take part, many will not.

I think they need 6 teams worth of talent to get 4 teams, and I think they only just have 4 teams worth of talent

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Offsiders just covered womens sport, and discussed the AFL. Gerard asked the question that is one of the drivers of this issue for the AFL. Can soccer mums, over a generation, change the nature of sport in Australia? The answer was Yes.

If the AFL guesses the answer is No, and is wrong, it puts in danger the future of the sport.

We are in a generation where a lot of kids play soccer, but support footy. If it switches so that those that play soccer support soccer, footy as the dominant code in the footy states is screwed. That is a relatively small change with huge ramifications.

Brianna Davey came back to footy after missing out on the Matildas, and made the exhibition game in her first year. She left footy as a junior because of the lack of opportunity in the sport. Every year they wait, more Briannas leave, and most never come back. There is not enough talent that they can afford to lose more by waiting.
I thought the idea of tying coverage of women's AFL to the TV rights deal that was raised was a great idea. Maybe something like the station that gets the rights to broadcast AFL on free to air, must also broadcast one women's game per week before either the Saturday or Sunday afternoon game?

I thought the idea of tying coverage of women's AFL to the TV rights deal that was raised was a great idea. Maybe something like the station that gets the rights to broadcast AFL on free to air, must also broadcast one women's game per week before either the Saturday or Sunday afternoon game?
As they said, other sports, with less pulling power and negotiating strength have done this. Triathlon tied mens events to womens, with an effect on the popularity of womens events.

It is going to be interesting watching what happens with womens basketball in Perth. Despite what has been said here, basketball at a professional level is going strong in WA. Wildcats regularly sell out a 14000 seat stadium, despite tickets being pretty dear. Decent ratings on TV as well. That is for the men, the womens team has struggled, on court and off. This year the Wildcats have taken over the WestCoast Waves and re branded them the Perth Lynx, and moved them into the Wildcats state of the art facilities.

Their undertaking is to set them up the same way they have set up the men. To that end, they are putting 6 - 8 of the team on the payroll as full time professionals. They will be promoting the Lynx with the Wildcats, and tapping into their large existing membership.

What effect will it have on womens basketball attendance in Perth? Can an established mens club attract supporters to a womens team. If no, look to the Lynx attendance being the same as the Waves was, if yes, there should be a jump.

Thought the fans on here would be interested in this womans/youth team made up of players from an African background. They are called the Butler Falcons after the Northern Perth suburb they are based in and are linked to and supported by the WAFL Club -West Perth Falcons.

The article below highlights the progress the players are making in 2015 with several graduating up to the Joondalup Falcons Womens Youth Team. They now have a pathway to go forward and maintain their interest in playing at higher levels which may include a National Comp.

The younger players are well aware of the mooted National League.

http://www.falconsdistrict.com.au/n...-joondalup-women-in-wa-womens-football-league

Thought the fans on here would be interested in this womans/youth team made up of players from an African background. They are called the Butler Falcons after the Northern Perth suburb they are based in and are linked to and supported by the WAFL Club -West Perth Falcons.

The article below highlights the progress the players are making in 2015 with several graduating up to the Joondalup Falcons Womens Youth Team. They now have a pathway to go forward and maintain their interest in playing at higher levels which may include a National Comp.

The younger players are well aware of the mooted National League.

http://www.falconsdistrict.com.au/n...-joondalup-women-in-wa-womens-football-league
The article below in todays Australian Newspaper talks about the interest in Womens Sports on TV.

There is a lot of stuff happening after the Matildas success recently.

The CH10 boss mentions the AFL and its Womens game.

Apparently Eddie McGuire has his own media group which is involved with the Netball Championships.(Netball has 1.2 Million participants in Australia.)

Would he get involved with the AFL and Womens footy – May do if the money was right.

This new scenario definitley must involve our own game on TV.

There has been a shake up at AFL House it seems after several resignations and the Development Dept incl International and Womens footy will have a new boss later on – A Guy called Lethlean from memory.

Read on

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...mens-sport-on-tv/story-e6frg996-1227476542984

Women's sport will never equal men's sport in terms of drawing power and money, but as the article says, it only needs to get to a point of being seen as a money spinner, and tv will change its attitude fast. This process has started, and is part of the reason for the afl hurry up on women's footy.
With 7 telecasting the women's match on Sunday, the hypothetical thread title has become practical. Will you watch the televised women's match?

Women's sport will never equal men's sport in terms of drawing power and money, but as the article says, it only needs to get to a point of being seen as a money spinner, and tv will change its attitude fast. This process has started, and is part of the reason for the afl hurry up on women's footy.
With 7 telecasting the women's match on Sunday, the hypothetical thread title has become practical. Will you watch the televised women's match?

Found another article on the progress of the Womens comp.
The article while focusing on the recent 18 club conference with its politics in Melbourne also mentions bits and pieces about Gillon McLachlan plans on the comp.
The clubs have been formally told to start planning for a Womens Club in their set up. That will be a major project to say the least.
I think 2020 is a more realistic timetable for that format and a possible 4 team set up is more feasible by 2017 given player numbers.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...told-to-change-his-style-20150810-giw1uw.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found another article on the progress of the Womens comp.
The article while focusing on the recent 18 club conference with its politics in Melbourne also mentions bits and pieces about Gillon McLachlan plans on the comp.
The clubs have been formally told to start planning for a Womens Club in their set up. That will be a major project to say the least.
I think 2020 is a more realistic timetable for that format and a possible 4 team set up is more feasible by 2017 given player numbers.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...told-to-change-his-style-20150810-giw1uw.html
Interesting read. Always thought that the current exhibition games would morph into a mini comp in 2017 or 18, but we would not see the final version until 2020 (at least). I thought the final version would be max of 6 teams.

Sounds like they have larger ambition's

Interesting read. Always thought that the current exhibition games would morph into a mini comp in 2017 or 18, but we would not see the final version until 2020 (at least). I thought the final version would be max of 6 teams.

Sounds like they have larger ambition's

The Adelaide Crows are on board for Womens National Comp. With the increased funding commencing in 2017 things are looking better.
We have extracted these comments from a larger article.
Quote"
The Crows CEO Andrew Fagan said the club was encouraged by the League's commitment to grow female participation in the game.

Almost half (at least 40 per cent) of the club's membership base is female and through it's Women of Adelaide initiative the Crows run various development programs aimed at women.Should the AFL create a national competition for women, the Crows want in

."We are certainly keen to be involved in any proposed national women's competition and formally raised this with the AFL earlier this year," he said."Earlier this season we hosted the South Australian women's team at our training facility as well as a Female All Stars curtain raiser game at Adelaide Oval and as recently as [Tuesday] we held one of our many coaching clinics at an Adelaide girls school.

"We have also spoken with the SANFL regarding increased support of their female growth initiatives at a school and community level."In short, we are already active in this space and welcome the AFL's stance to increase the breadth and depth or female involvement in footy."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back