Injury Wounded Tigers - keep track of our injury status here

Remove this Banner Ad

It is really good to get these injury updates from Peter Burge.

The bad news is Fraser Turner has picked up a bone stress injury and will rest for 4-5 weeks, returning later season, Burge says the rest will do him good at his age.

Ross back running outside but Burge anticipates about 4 weeks off playing football, so can get up to 6 VFL matches in before AFL finals time, which gives him a good chance if his foot has come up well enough. English will be back next week.

Pickett has been doing some high level conditioning, wire comes out of his finger in 10 days and he is straight into skills work thereafter. Burge says 4-5 weeks away from seeing him play football, so likely back around the time the AFL team plays Collingwood in rd 19 July 26. That would give him 4 VFL matches before the last round bye, and VFL finals thereafter to hit his straps. The Tigers will participate in a VFL final on August 31 when the AFL has the pre finals bye so that is a 5th match for him to make a case for AFL finals selection in the event the Tigers make it to the finals. Given the high level conditioning, and the time taken to learn structures etc while the finger has been mending, he might get a decent crack at it, if good enough.

Cal Moore will miss 5-6 more weeks and will get 2-3 VFL matches in before VFL finals by the sound of things.

Cotchin, Edwards, Astbury, Lambert all seem to be on track for this week. Edwards will need to be managed during the rest of the season.

Short going very well, but annoying everyone on the track. Will play this weekend, likely VFL you would think.

Riewoldt running near top speed and changing direction, about to start jumping. Burge thinks he is just a couple of weeks off resuming. So perhaps straight in for the Giants game with 7 rounds before finals. If not, then should face Port the following week you would think.

Nankervis 3-4 weeks away from getting back playing, they are taking care to get his strength right on the injured side of his body. Possibly back through the VFL I wonder. Sounds like should be AFL ready around rd 19 v Collingwood and 5 AFL matches prior to finals.

So the overall schedule for players likely being AFL ready might look something like this:

rd 15 v Saints. Soldo(depending on selection) Cotchin, Astbury, Edwards, Lambert, (Bolton on form)

rd 16 v GCS. Short(depending on form, and a spot being available)

rd 17 v Giants Riewoldt(or possibly a week later)

rd 18 v Port.

rd 19 v Pies.
Nankervis

rd 20 v Demons

rd 21 v Bues.
Ross?

rd 22 v Eagles Pickett?

rd 23 v Lions.

VFL returns may look like this:

rd 13 v Sandy Short

rd 14 v Footscray

rd 15 v Werribee

rd 16 v Box Heap
Ross, Nankervis

rd 17 v Pies. Turner, Pickett

rd 18 v Casey Moore

rd 19 v Blues

rd 20 Bye

first week of finals coincides
with AFL pre finals bye

For the players that come back moving well, that probably works out pretty well in terms of being primed for the finals. You would expect more injuries, management and maybe even some recurrences, but 11 realistic potential AFL replacements there fully ready to go by finals time, 10 if you count Soldo and Nankervis as one. The VFL team shouldn't be playing with less than about 15-16 AFL listed players too often from here either.
Great effort thanks for the fine details mostly appreciated

Hope we play it safe with some of the guys due to return towards the EOY. Reckon it's fair to say it's just not our year for a flag tilt.
The main thing at this stage is that we have everyone 100% for a massive pre-season and attack on 2020. Nothing worse than bringing someone in for the last few games and they re-do an injury and there goes their pre-season...

I think our medical guys are really good now in regard to timing players' returns from injury and conditioning prior to return. There are no doubt some issues where you have to go with your best judgement but it is not straightforward to ensure a smooth return. Listening to Burge though, you have a lot of confidence in him knowing what he is doing and erring on the side of getting players properly conditioned before they return.

No way would I be writing this term off just at this point. If most or all of the expected players return without major further damage Richmond would have a couple of weaknesses v the very best team but also a few strengths they might struggle with as well. All it could take is a bit of wet weather or an injury or two to an opponent in running and you could be winning a final you otherwise expected to lose, and that is beside the fact our best could well be good enough no matter what. I still maintain if the best team in the finals somehow finished 8th they would have a better chance at the flag than an inferior team who finished top 4.

Last edited:
I hope our fitness guys have learnt a lot this year and have put measures in place to ensure our players are less prone to injury next year.

There have been some freak injuries this year, but it makes me wonder if the heavy training load Michaels mentioned leading into round 1 contributed to our bad luck.

I think our medical guys are really good now in regard to timing players' returns from injury and conditioning prior to return. There are no doubt some issues where you have to go with your best judgement but it is not straightforward to ensure a smooth return. Listening to Burge though, you have a lot of confidence in him knowing what he is doing and erring on the side of getting players properly conditioned before they return.

No way would I be writing this term off just at this point. If most or all of the expected players return without major further damage Richmond would have a couple of weaknesses v the very best team but also a few strengths they might struggle with as well. All it could take is a bit of wet weather or an injury or two to an opponent in running and you could be winning a final you otherwise expected to lose, and that is beside the fact our best could well be good enough no matter what. I still maintain if the best team in the finals somehow finished 8th they would have a better chance at the flag than an inferior team who finished top 4.
The issue we are going to have is a lack of continuity. Our best team simply hasn't had a chance to play together this year and that makes playing finals a lot more difficult. It's a tough ask to get all these blokes back from rehab and have them slot back in seamlessly. Not ruling out a miraculous finals campaign but we'll definitely be doing it the hard(wick) way.

The issue we are going to have is a lack of continuity. Our best team simply hasn't had a chance to play together this year and that makes playing finals a lot more difficult. It's a tough ask to get all these blokes back from rehab and have them slot back in seamlessly. Not ruling out a miraculous finals campaign but we'll definitely be doing it the hard(wick) way.
True...not under estimating the value of continuity!
But it's going to interesting seeing our injured slot back into the side and whether it strenghtens or diminishes the side's impact towards the Finals...
We will see if the old adage from Hardwick's strategy has value or not in...one soldier in and one soldier out!

This week we're starting to see our first pick team taking shape. Give them a couple of weeks against easier opposition and then start to crank it home. That's my hope anyway.

Cotch and Astbury were 1-2 days form being ready for the last game. So they've had 3 weeks of training to be fit for this one. Will be interesting

Got through the St Kilda game injury free.

As per the club website (hasn't been updated this week yet)

Unavailable
Jack Riewoldt – Knee (short term) - 70% chance to return this week IMO
Luke English – Shoulder (short term)
Toby Nankervis – Adductor tendon (medium term) - GWS game possibly?
Jack Ross – Ankle (medium term) - Port game possibly?
Fraser Turner – Femur (medium term)
Marlion Pickett - Finger (medium term) - Carlton game sneaky chance?
Callum Moore – Ankle (medium - long term)
Alex Rance – Knee (long term) - I'm backing him in to play depending on our ladder positioning. Dimma said he is way ahead of where he should be at, I reckon they might be looking at Rounds 20 / 21 some small VFL minutes, AFL Round 22 / 23. This will only happen if we are still looking like playing finals.

Latest injury update:

In summary:

Nank to keep building his game time, TBC if it is in VFL or AFL

Caddy rolled his ankle last week in training and missed VFL last week, available this week

Ross will be back getting some game time shortly!

Cotchin to miss a 2-3 weeks being very cautious. Different spot to last time, minor strain. Running at 70% already.

Moore to look at playing VFL next week

Pickett back into full training and will play VFL this week. Likely to play most of the game given he has done huge fitness work in the meantime.

Fraser Turner to get back into match play this weekend.

Higgins is out of hospital and back home now recovering.

Rance to meet with his surgeon next friday to decide on if they will push for the finals this year or hold him off until next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back