Injury Wounded Tigers - keep track of our injury status here

Remove this Banner Ad

What i dont understand is i thought the reason we fell away at the end of last year was due to
-injuries
-teams changing tactics when they played us
-questionable motivation ie lack of hunger
-questionable match ups and coaching ie playing rance on de goey , sidebottom etc

how much was that due to peaking too early? , also we started our pre season 4 weeks late due to winning the flag so peaking early seems odd

In 2017 we started of well very fit and full of run and had no trouble finishing the season well..

Of course to be fair the idea of our approach was to ensure we finish the season full of running so who knows maybe it will work , assuming we have enough players to field a team

Yeah I don’t think our disappointing end to 2018 had anything to do with fitness

I think a combo of

- evolving tactics against us
- an off night/dusty unfit
- mental burnout being on top for 18 months

Of interest, in both of our H&A wins over Collingwood, they statistically smashed us in terms of time with the ball. The margin for error with our pressure game plan was very low. Be even 1% off, and it could all fall apart

I think 2019 pre-season may have been a drastic, disastrous over-correction to a non-existent problem

Yeah I don’t think our disappointing end to 2018 had anything to do with fitness

I think a combo of

- evolving tactics against us
- an off night/dusty unfit
- mental burnout being on top for 18 months

Of interest, in both of our H&A wins over Collingwood, they statistically smashed us in terms of time with the ball. The margin for error with our pressure game plan was very low. Be even 1% off, and it could all fall apart

I think 2019 pre-season may have been a drastic, disastrous over-correction to a non-existent problem

Smashed us with time with the ball, do you mean possession? You do realise our gameplay is low posession based? Has been since 2017. I just looked at our last two wins and we smashed them with inside 50, time in forward half etc

Rance-200
Cotchin-225
Reiwoldt-252
Astbury-117
Edwards-243
Lambert-83
Nankervis-67
Short-59
1246 games missing and 7 premiership players
don't forget Grigg's 200+.... Just sayin.

So after round 13 we'll have had 4 players play every game. For comparison, Collingwood have had 12 and geelong have had 11. The injury ravaged GWS have also had 11. Last season we had 4 players play every game (even though we were resting players v Essendon/Bombers). Next worse is 8 (hawthorn). Not only is it top 10 players missing but there's a big spread of injuries across the board....

Funny thing that Dion and Tom are both in that four. I suspect that there was no way both of those was planed to play the first 13 games straight - if it hadn't been for the other outs.

Silver lining time here. The above also considers players dropped due to form. I cannot remember a time when we've been ravaged by injuries like this and yet we still are dropping players because we have a 2nd's team full of players earning a spot. a long way we've come from the late 80's and mid 2000's!!

Last edited:
I’m convinced we completely cooked our preseason. I recall Dimma even making comments that we “peaked too early” in 2018

So instead of doing what worked spectacularly well in 2017-2018, we have gone into 2019 so underdone our players can’t stay on the field.

I don’t buy this injury list is simply down to bad luck
Nope disagree, the context was 'playing at our peak' nothing to do with fitness. Do you really think the FD would let highly tuned players not be fit for the coming year? Complete bollocks imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shazza_ you realise the Cotchin injury rests completley on your shoulders on the back of that April fools thread?
Infraction Notice due..............................overdue!

I’m convinced we completely cooked our preseason. I recall Dimma even making comments that we “peaked too early” in 2018

So instead of doing what worked spectacularly well in 2017-2018, we have gone into 2019 so underdone our players can’t stay on the field.

I don’t buy this injury list is simply down to bad luck

What a load of bollocks

Acl’s and pcl’s and dislocate elbows broken ribs leg amputations and rances hair being a fraction out of place aren’t caused by trying to modify a program to peak at finals.

I agree with this change in program

It’s also why half the board doesn’t rate geelong (at their peak)and is scared witless of what GWS might do (miles from their peak) in 3 months

These guys are fit. No one makes it to afl level who isn’t fit anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't recall a team with this much injuries to its best 22.

Pies last year didn't have the same amount or quality that we have out.

Worst thing is that with Cotch out you'd think Ross would come in but he's injured too...

Cursed this year.

How hard every club has been hit by injury in season 2019
Richmond has been hit hard by injury but when it comes to the number of games lost by best 22 players because of injury, there are three clubs worse off than the Tigers and a premiership contender has been hit just as hard. See the injury ladder.

The greatest injury crisis of Damien Hardwick’s tenure has sidelined All-Australians Trent Cotchin and Shane Edwards for Thursday night’s finals-shaping clash with Adelaide.

Five of Richmond’s six best players and eight of their top 13 from last year’s Jack Dyer Medal will miss the clash with the Crows.

Edwards has been ruled out with hamstring tendinitis, with the Tigers adamant Cotchin’s third hamstring episode of the season is only soreness rather than another tear.

The Tigers’ injury plight could eventually influence a risky recall for Alex Rance during finals given their fading premiership hopes.

Of their eight Tigers in the All-Australian squad of 40 last year, Jack Riewoldt, Rance, Kane Lambert, Edwards and Cotchin will miss and Josh Caddy is badly out of form.

Richmond will have to hang tough and hope it can burst up the ladder in a seven-match stretch of games to finish the home-and-away season.

In that stretch they take on contenders West Coast, Brisbane, Collingwood, Port Adelaide and GWS as well as Melbourne and Carlton.

9545319c29a0fdbef9511684ebe5ffab
Trent Cotchin will miss the clash against Adelaide with a hamstring problem.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme said the injury was only minor but given Cotchin has twice injured the hamstring this year he had decided against risking it.

“He’s not going to play, he’s sore. It puts a bit more pressure on, but that’s all right,” he said.

“He’s just a bit sore in the hamstring, but it’s not the same. I reckon if he hadn’t have had the problem before, he would have played.

“The fact we’re playing on the Thursday makes it more difficult. If we’d played on Saturday or Sunday (he was a chance), but we won’t take the risk.”

A club whose leaders had seemed bulletproof has lost the fourth-most games from injury to its best 22 this year.

Remarkably, by Friday only four of its players will have taken the field in all 13 games this year — Tom Lynch, Jack Higgins, Kamdyn McIntosh and Dion Prestia.

Edwards had played every game until pulling up sore this week.

The Tigers will have to make a tough call on Rance, hoping to recover from an ACL rupture in 26 weeks to play in a qualifying or elimination final.

d3ad21ffc0849d394aa9007497176f60
Alex Rance is making good progress in his return from a knee reconstruction. Picture: Getty

Coach Damien Hardwick is adamant the club will consider his claims as he steps up his recovery that has already shown incredible signs in its early stages.

Hardwick said on Friday night he was hoping Jack Riewoldt would be back in Round 16, with David Astbury likely back after next week’s bye.

Kane Lambert (Achilles) and Toby Nankervis (groin) are still some weeks away from returning.

Brisbane and Fremantle have had 14 players take part in every game this year, with St Kilda (13), Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs (both 12) not far behind.

Incredibly, Brisbane has lost just 10 games to injury from its best 22 this year, clearly the best run ahead of the Dogs (39) and Hawthorn (41).

Melbourne has lost 100 games to injury from players in its best 22, with GWS second (72 games) in front of St Kilda (68) and Richmond (67).

1560384567054.png
1560384605032.png

How hard every club has been hit by injury in season 2019
Richmond has been hit hard by injury but when it comes to the number of games lost by best 22 players because of injury, there are three clubs worse off than the Tigers and a premiership contender has been hit just as hard. See the injury ladder.

The greatest injury crisis of Damien Hardwick’s tenure has sidelined All-Australians Trent Cotchin and Shane Edwards for Thursday night’s finals-shaping clash with Adelaide.

Five of Richmond’s six best players and eight of their top 13 from last year’s Jack Dyer Medal will miss the clash with the Crows.

Edwards has been ruled out with hamstring tendinitis, with the Tigers adamant Cotchin’s third hamstring episode of the season is only soreness rather than another tear.

The Tigers’ injury plight could eventually influence a risky recall for Alex Rance during finals given their fading premiership hopes.

Of their eight Tigers in the All-Australian squad of 40 last year, Jack Riewoldt, Rance, Kane Lambert, Edwards and Cotchin will miss and Josh Caddy is badly out of form.

Richmond will have to hang tough and hope it can burst up the ladder in a seven-match stretch of games to finish the home-and-away season.

In that stretch they take on contenders West Coast, Brisbane, Collingwood, Port Adelaide and GWS as well as Melbourne and Carlton.

9545319c29a0fdbef9511684ebe5ffab
Trent Cotchin will miss the clash against Adelaide with a hamstring problem.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme said the injury was only minor but given Cotchin has twice injured the hamstring this year he had decided against risking it.

“He’s not going to play, he’s sore. It puts a bit more pressure on, but that’s all right,” he said.

“He’s just a bit sore in the hamstring, but it’s not the same. I reckon if he hadn’t have had the problem before, he would have played.

“The fact we’re playing on the Thursday makes it more difficult. If we’d played on Saturday or Sunday (he was a chance), but we won’t take the risk.”

A club whose leaders had seemed bulletproof has lost the fourth-most games from injury to its best 22 this year.

Remarkably, by Friday only four of its players will have taken the field in all 13 games this year — Tom Lynch, Jack Higgins, Kamdyn McIntosh and Dion Prestia.

Edwards had played every game until pulling up sore this week.

The Tigers will have to make a tough call on Rance, hoping to recover from an ACL rupture in 26 weeks to play in a qualifying or elimination final.

d3ad21ffc0849d394aa9007497176f60
Alex Rance is making good progress in his return from a knee reconstruction. Picture: Getty

Coach Damien Hardwick is adamant the club will consider his claims as he steps up his recovery that has already shown incredible signs in its early stages.

Hardwick said on Friday night he was hoping Jack Riewoldt would be back in Round 16, with David Astbury likely back after next week’s bye.

Kane Lambert (Achilles) and Toby Nankervis (groin) are still some weeks away from returning.

Brisbane and Fremantle have had 14 players take part in every game this year, with St Kilda (13), Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs (both 12) not far behind.

Incredibly, Brisbane has lost just 10 games to injury from its best 22 this year, clearly the best run ahead of the Dogs (39) and Hawthorn (41).

Melbourne has lost 100 games to injury from players in its best 22, with GWS second (72 games) in front of St Kilda (68) and Richmond (67).

View attachment 691343
View attachment 691344
LOL at best 22, name the best 22's then ya clown with the games missed by each.

Also LOL at the pies, who the hell are they including to get that number to 66.

Yeah IMO appears to be a serious mismanagement preseason. Injury list is deplorable.
Yeah Rance doing his ACL, Jack his hand then his PCL, Cotch his Hamstring, Nank his groin, Ross getting his ankle stepped on, Short his shoulder etc etc was because of serious pre season mismanagement. :rolleyes:

Yeah Rance doing his ACL, Jack his hand then his PCL, Cotch his Hamstring, Nank his groin, Ross getting his ankle stepped on, Short his shoulder etc etc was because of serious pre season mismanagement. :rolleyes:

We've had a fair few soft tissue injuries. We had virtually 0 last year. Seems awfully coincidental that a revamped pre-season schedule has coincided with one of our worst injury riddled years in recent history.

Many injuries from freak accidents. A fw from simple landing incorrectly (Rance), stretching (nank) etc.

It's like our injury luck for 3 season just got evened up big time. Anyway, that we can field a team that I reckon is still pretty good is ridiculous. Great depth and our kids have had an amazing chance to learn in the AFL environment. e.g. Soldo seems to have shown he's an AFL quality ruck. Even if he isn't our long term no.1, he's proven that he can do the job. At worst a few clubs will want to have a chat with him. Ross, so good. Shai has proven he has the talent. etc etc

Silver lining. Keep on staying positive this week. Cause I reckon it's not going to be pretty tonight.

We've had a fair few soft tissue injuries. We had virtually 0 last year. Seems awfully coincidental that a revamped pre-season schedule has coincided with one of our worst injury riddled years in recent history.
Not really. Cotchin’s been bad but Astbury always misses a couple. Shedda seems to be getting a bit of hammy management which is exactly what you want. Perhaps Nank was avoidable.
Other than that there’s nothing. And when you consider perennial offenders Prestia and Houli are both going fine, I’d say the fitness department is doing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back