Rumour Wowee - Damien Barrett alleges BT bugged opposition rooms during finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure how seriously to take this having just read this article but intriguing nevertheless.

Brian Taylor is one of the most imposing men in the football media landscape with his command over the microphone and cameras.
But he was put on the back foot on Saturday afternoon when newsbreaker Damian Barrett shared a story he said was 27 years in the making that alleged Taylor had bugged another team’s rooms during the season.
“We’re going to go back to 1991-92 when a certain big profiled, big character was captain-coaching a club in the then VFA,” Barrett said on Triple M’s Saturday Rub before being cut off by Taylor.
“Damo I have told you since 1991 that this is not true, this is just a made up flimsy operational story. I have legal people,” Taylor said.
“I have dealt with your legal threats with this seriously over the years,” Barrett replied.
“I am now going to ignore them.

Barrett is not one of the boys club, he earned his position (and notoriety) by digging up real stories.

Taylor, on the other hand, is a gigantic windbag.

Not hard to imagine this is story is almost entirely factual.

Barrett is not one of the boys club, he earned his position (and notoriety) by digging up real stories.

Taylor, on the other hand, is a gigantic windbag.

Not hard to imagine this is story is almost entirely factual.
Barrett is a flog of the highest order who has no morals or ethics.He deserves to be tarred and feathered .That still places him higher than Taylor

Its just a stupid bit they have running. like the dunstall/newman feud on footy show. theyd be laughing that it made the news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1991. This was still an era of cassette tapes, vinyl records, brick size mobiles, VCR's etc. Even the good old Betamax tapes were still hanging around desperately trying to stay in the market. Back in 1991 the technology to bug a room did exist, but for the average person off the street it would have cost thousands of dollars.
I reckon all that has happened is that BT has got a mate to go and listen in on the opponents quarter time huddle and the story has grown from there.

Back in 1991 the technology to bug a room did exist, but for the average person off the street it would have cost thousands of dollars.

Not true.

Bugging technology was very cheaply and easily available back then in kit form from electronics shops. (Places like Tandy Electronics, Dick Smith Electronics, TECS, etc, etc).

Last edited:
Not true.

Bugging technology was very cheaply and easily available back then in kit form from electronics shops. (Places like Tandy Electronics, Dick Smith Electronics, Total Peripherals Group, etc, etc).

There was a $6.50 wireless FM radio microphone in Dick’s 1980 Funway project series. “Make this one into a tiny package and slip it into your pocket.”

And probably neither club exists anymore (Prahran certainly gone). Non issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back