Autopsy Wowzers - Rd 15, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

There are plenty of instances when a player has “gone the man” and not the ball and been ridiculed for it.
Maybe you, like me have yelled out “go the ball”?
What about the instances where contact seemed inevitable and almost miraculously a player ends up with the ball and you wonder how it happened?
That’s how it happens, a player does the unexpected.
He’s the last player who needs his courage question.
End rant.

There is a time and place for it and having a feel for the game. It was not the time to choose that option of play.
We needed our leaders to be cracking in hard at that stage not hoping a non contact low % play that he really didnt set himself for would come off.

And yes I've said it when players run past the footy but not when it's there to be won.

Honestly looking at that gif of Greenwood, I think he was trying to avoid making front on contact with the player’s head. The way he was craning over the ball there was really no safe way to bump him, and as he didn’t have the ball he couldn’t tackle him either.

When the ball bounced slightly away from him while he had all the forward momentum, it was either give away a free kick (and possible suspension) or sidestep and reach. Didn’t work. I can accept that.

He wasn't prone. Just in a lowered but upright position.

Anyway I'm done I think he made a poor choice of option that was in line with how the whole teams mentality was by that stage of the game. Buckley agrees the team was jumping at shadows, 1 handed tackle attempts, 1 handed reaching for the footy in packs, looking around for contact and fumbling...unreal.

Lol you guys are struggling to comprehend the difference between Greenwoods a soft squib (which i am not saying just to make it clear for 1000th time) and Greenwood intent and actions in that play was the soft option.

Whether it was to tap it and jump around, take 1 handed possession and jump around or a moment of brain farting. To not put the body behind the footy when you have it lined up and a more stagnant opponent coming the other way is the soft option. It is not the option of a leader trying to rally the troops and stand up to the very physical opposition with some of his own physicality.

I reckon he just made the mistake of backing his own skill. It was a standard Pendlebury play, but he's a freak, who must have junior coaches tearing their hair out, because his sill level enables him to not bodyline the ball and get the advantage of an extra step free of his opponent.

The
Calling a player soft even in one action is the ultimate slur against a footballer that's why. It's a stain they always carry even if it's just one moment. Look at Rhyce Shaw he never got over it and others also, Bryce Gibbs has copped it. Greenwood doesn't deserve to cop it and not be given the benefit of the doubt in that instance based on his past history of welcoming the physical challenge. To be labelled as not going in hard even in 1 contest is the biggest insult to a player.
This may be true but it doesn't alter the fact that many observed he shirked an important contest. He may normally be as hard as nails, but he was not on one important occasion.

The
This may be true but it doesn't alter the fact that many observed he shirked an important contest. He may normally be as hard as nails, but he was not on one important occasion.

Every occasion is important. I've seen Joel Selwood, Michael Voss do weak s**t. Leigh Matthews even. Every player has their moments. Funny how one off moment get dissected and analysed to an inch of it's life but a brilliant play gets glossed over... we don't have a frame by frame critique of all the things they do right. Let it be, he made a mistake.

Honestly looking at that gif of Greenwood, I think he was trying to avoid making front on contact with the player’s head. The way he was craning over the ball there was really no safe way to bump him, and as he didn’t have the ball he couldn’t tackle him either.

When the ball bounced slightly away from him while he had all the forward momentum, it was either give away a free kick (and possible suspension) or sidestep and reach. Didn’t work. I can accept that.

100% correct. Greenwood had a duty of care and was anticipating the North player to put his head down to draw the free kick. Make contact and not only do you give away a free 55 metres out your likely looking at missing multiple weeks. Probably still get called weak for bumping a player over the ball.... As a 30 year old fringe player I would make exactly the same call.

Jonathan Brown still living in an era where concussion doesn't exist and belting guys 25% smaller than you makes you tough

That's the Greenwood incident everyone is losing their minds over? Come on. He was running full pelt at the ball only to watch it take a leg break to end up in the North player's arms. If anything, Atley is the one who had pulled up - he's flat footed, on his heels, readying himself to tackle Levi. Then the ball takes a wicked Stuart MacGill style rip and ends up in his lap and he takes off again.

I'd be more concerned with the one-handed tackling effort from Treloar or the way Sidey completely gives up once the ball doesn't come out to him.

That was the exception to the rule, anyone will rightly tell you of any team Collingwood and luck don't go hand in hand. History shows we have to do things by merit.
I don't think there is a rule that you only get one exception to the rule. If there is, there should also be an exception to that rule too.

Jonathan Brown: a walking talking steaming turd, a pustule on the face of football, a boil on the buttocks of humanity, a living breathing amoeba with the face of a horse and nary the wit to pick the fleas off itself

Yup I am not saying greenwood is a squib people confusing 1 incident vs his career overview, but he did not attack that ball how he should of and definitely pulled out of contacts way. It's out of character for Greenwood.
Being a senior player and having the rest of the team being twinkle toes and jumping at shadows, we need him b-lining those types of 50/50 balls not avoiding contact.

Btw it's in the 3rd quarter and Brown shows a replay of it at 2.47 left on the clock.

He sprints after the ball actually gets to the point to grab it first but slows and jumps up and to the left to avoid contact and reaches out with 1 arm while the roo gets his body behind the ball.

Agree it doesn’t look good but Levi has always been as hard as a cat’s head - I reckon the bump rules can cause players to second guess in that split second. Once he was second to the ball if he chose to make contact he could have easily caused a reportable incident with a front on bump. Processing this instantly can bring on what looks a bit squibby

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is no squib from Greenwood. Lol, the ball does a turn of the century and he is unable to get to it. Watch the ball clearly. It's pretty obvious. Greenwood is the last player to ever squib.

Yep, beaten by the bounce as much as anything. Would have gleefully gone full on into Atley if he was sure that was where the footy was going. Don't think I've ever seen him take small steps or avoid contact so while that doesn't look good he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

We need to own the dismal display as supporters if we are going to move forward.

I think it's the players who need to own it while we supporters bury it deep in the recesses.

Last edited:
Everyone is upset because Jonathan Brown isolated it during the game and later on Fox Footy and "cast dispersions" over Greenwood's courage.

Greenwood is the last person you accuse of being gutless - seriously WTF. Way too much media personalities trying to make themselves relevant

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is a time and place for it and having a feel for the game. It was not the time to choose that option of play.
We needed our leaders to be cracking in hard at that stage not hoping a non contact low % play that he really didnt set himself for would come off.

And yes I've said it when players run past the footy but not when it's there to be won.
Says you from an armchair?

end of the day these losses happen sometimes, the last 3 teams to win the premiership have had real bad losses at some point in the year.

Heck it even happens at local level sometimes lol! Last year the team I play for won the premiership and about mid year we came up against a team and lost by 100 points, had a real bad day, we got forced to have a training session the next day by our coach and it was a huge wake up call (to that point we were doing really good) and as I said, we won the flag a couple months later.

end of the day these losses happen sometimes, the last 3 teams to win the premiership have had real bad losses at some point in the year.

Heck it even happens at local level sometimes lol! Last year the team I play for won the premiership and about mid year we came up against a team and lost by 100 points, had a real bad day, we got forced to have a training session the next day by our coach and it was a huge wake up call (to that point we were doing really good) and as I said, we won the flag a couple months later.
We need to win 2 of our next 4. Do that and our destiny is in our hands.

Everyone is upset because Jonathan Brown isolated it during the game and later on Fox Footy and "cast dispersions" over Greenwood's courage.

Greenwood is as hard as they come, crunched 103kg Goldy in a huge front on bump in the first quarter that left him on the canvas for a while, I seriously doubt he would have any reservations in taking on someone around 20kg lighter. I think you can question his decision making and execution at times, but you don't know Greenwood if you question his courage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back