WRAP UP: Carlton vs. Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

len_jet

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2006
Mernda
AFL Club
Carlton
I left tonight at the 15 minute mark, just after (cant remember who) failed to direct his punch of the ball through the goals, instead he kept it in play and a two on one turned into a three on one and Richmond goaled for a 3 goal lead.

Essentially we were pathetic. There is no way to put it other than that.

We worked ourselves into a nice lead with the breeze in the 2nd quarter, from memory the lead got out to 20 odd points. We then lay down arms and let Richmond run all over us. A few pointers:

1. Our tackling was terrible. Last year we seemed to tackle really well but tonight the Richmond players just burst through the packs too easily... it was horrific to watch... so painful!
2. We couldn't kick a score. Our focus on Fev is amazing... the bloke has two on him and we try to pin point this pass, thread the eye of the needle so to speak...
3. We needed more out of Hartlett. He needed to work much much harder, maybe up the ground a bit more but a lot more around the HF line.
4. We were without a Ruckman that was top class but at the end of the day we got smashed in the midfield. Our main extractors in Judd, Stevens and Carro just didn't fire and we lacked terribly in there. To all the "underdone" theorists you dont need to be "match fit" to extract a ball from a stoppage especially a centre clearance...
5. Our usage was shocking, our skills and overall efficiency was OK until we got tired (end of quarters and the last quarter in general) but guys like Carro chopped the ball way too often!
6. Stupid things like Stevos run into goal and kick to a fev spoil waite situation was just plain stupid... embarrasing even... he should of had a shot... a point was more valuable than the resulting 12 point turn around that prevailed (richmond kicked a goal!)

On a positive front:
1. Edwards was a massive breathe of fresh air. Needs to learn a little on where to kick and where to lead but he got plenty of football and presents really well, maybe Hartlett could review Edwards game and learn a little.
2. I was happy with Hadleys game. Showed a little agro and was in and under a bit.
3. Judd clearly lacking some pace and match fitness but did some good things. Hopefully with all the hysteria out of the way he can improve in more "private" environment, not in the media circus that has followed him since October.

Thoughts and additions?!

Hartlett disrupted carlton after the hit... carlton just seemed to lose it and didn't know what they were doing after that hit

what after hartlett got hit on the southern stand end? Although a Richmond bloke went down behind the playon the northern stand side of the square (myers i think) and was helped from the ground...

I wouldn't say 'essentially we were pathetic', there were a lot of positives from the game but there were defitinitely a lot of negatives.

To add my thoughts Chelsworthgate:

Fitness or lack thereof was a blaringly obvious issue.

There were too many people having to play various roles, something we will probably have to get used to for a while until the youngsters/less experienced players fully find their way.

In saying that I don't believe there is ever a good reason not to man up or apply pressure - they're fundamentals that we did not show for a lot of the game.

Hampson is desperately needed, big enough or not, so Cloke/Carlos can drop back into the forward line.

Fisher was missed so much tonight, our forward line was deplorable. A hole the size of the Grand Canyon and to be honest the deliveries weren't too crash hot.

Murphy and Waite were superb, Stevens a great welcome back, Juddy didn't put a foot wrong, Houla was very handy and Simmo had great bursts. I also thought Jammo did a great job on Richo despite the 5 goals, it was a great learning curve for him.

• Can't tackle for nuts
  • No forward structure. If Fev is our only option we are rooted
  • I'm sorry but I've lost count how many times we kick to Fev when he's double and tripled team the ball hits the deck and it's swept away. Even Stevie Wonder can see it.
  • Poor foot skills = turnover upon turnover
  • Judd was class and will get better
  • Got excited during the second quarter and we actually looked good
  • Carrrazo has shocking foot skills
  • Grigg panicks and kicks Hail Mary's when he gets the ball
  • We desperately need crumbing small forwards, Betts is not good enough
  • I like Jamison and Bower as long term prospects
  • It's going to be another long year although I believe we have a lot more upside than Richmond

I wouldn't say 'essentially we were pathetic', there were a lot of positives from the game but there were defitinitely a lot of negatives....

firstly it is Chelsworthgale... CWG for short :p;)

I agree with everything you said. I think Jamison is going through the learning curve that Thornton has gone through. He will be better off with another preseason in the gym to add some kgs to the frame and he will develop. He is tall, quick and has the right smarts about him. I think it is time we throw Austin into the deep end at CHB too and just leave them. If it costs us a couple of games so be it but they will be better off for it.

essentially our foot skills and our choice of option is a critical thing we need to address now!

• Can't tackle for nuts
  • No forward structure. If Fev is our only option we are rooted
  • I'm sorry but I've lost count how many times we kick to Fev when he's double and tripled team the ball hits the deck and it's swept away. Even Stevie Wonder can see it.
  • Poor foot skills = turnover upon turnover
  • Judd was class and will get better
  • Got excited during the second quarter and we actually looked good
  • Carrrazo has shocking foot skills
  • Grigg panicks and kicks Hail Mary's when he gets the ball
  • We desperately need crumbing small forwards, Betts is not good enough
  • I like Jamison and Bower as long term prospects
  • It's going to be another long year although I believe we have a lot more upside than Richmond

Pretty much summed it up Harmesy.
It was scary, all this talk about the backline and the forward line was the area we completely failed in.

Fitness seemed to be the main issue for me. Towards the end of the quarters we ran out of run, and the second half was completely different to the first. Probably went into the match with too many underdone players. I'm, not too sure, but when we were running we looked great. When the run slowed down we had nothing.
Forward line didn't function. Not that we were too fev orientated, but inside the forward 50 we didn't have anyone presenting well enough. Leads were too wide.
Edwards was good, i liked the look of him. Hartlett dissappointing for me. Didn't even notice him out there to be honest.
Jammo was good even though he had 5 kicked on him i thought he did a good job considering he was well undersized. Thornton was also good, and should be a good asset for us now that he's not the main defender. A few poor kicks into the forward 50, but he gave us drive all night.
Not all bad, except for the fact that we lost to bloody richmond, but if we get the forward line right we might get to see some results.
Just my thoughts.

Lack of talent hasnt raised its head yet?

sucked in by the media hype... sucked in by all the inflated talk on big footy... you could of sworn the tigers just won the grand final... too bad there were hardly any concrete things you could take out of this game... i mean we were horrible...

i liken this to geelong smashing you guys two/three weeks ago... the would taken hardly anything from that game seeing as they beat the the potential wooden spooners...

back on topic now that the troll has had his say...

any suggestions of ins and out for next week...

we need to bring back kreuzer and hampson (if fit) and I would like to see Armfield in the side

Really lack talent in the "tall" dept.

At 6'4 and above only Waite is AFL standard ATM....the rest are just learning, not strong enough yet, or lacking some talent.

Judd looks a fair a way off moving at full pace and we will struggle until he and Stevo start to have a major impact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never noticed it was an 'L'! I did wonder where the name came from but it still doesn't make any sense :p:D

I play (well played atm due to injury) footy for Old Ivahoe and our home ground is called Chelsworth Park. There is a wind at the ground that we dubbed the Chelsworth Gale.. pretty simple really... :eek:

I agree with everything chelsworthgale and Out of Harmes' Way have posted.

Our biggest disappointment I thought was our centre clearances. We were SMASHED!

No structure up forward hurt us and the inability to look for another option other than Fev.

Our backline held up for longer than I thought they would but at the end of the day, we were often caught out with our backmen running forward but not running back.

I know poor umpiring isn't an excuse but that number 21 umpire needs his head read! Richmond scored 4 or 5 goals (I lost count) from free kicks that weren't even there!!! SOOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!

prospect of losing your posting priviliges hasn't entered your head yet?

celtic pride c4 whatever your nmae is Where are you?

I thought 5 goals was a fair margin - you guys had talent sitting on the sidelines. With them playing it would be even. i just think some of your posters had/have an inflated opionion of your abilities.

I guess the thing that i liked the most ( and therefore i guess pissed all blues fans off) was the turn around. You looked great in the 2nd when you got 4 and half goals up - having that whittled down to a goal and a half is what really hurt you.

When stevens was firing things looked great for you. Judd is Judd fev tried hard and you know he is at least a 60 goal full forward.

Hey i am glad (no wrapt) we won. It sounds silly so early in the year but if you lose to the saints next week and teams like us win then suddenly you are two games behind teams that are your peers after two games.

we will struggle until Stevo starts to have a major impact

I would have thought he was just about your best tonight.
He was the main instigator when you guys did really well, and almost got you guys a big enough lead to probably dent our confidence and possible take us out of the match.
I think he might even be in the brownlow votes.

So now youve just gotta get Judd right and your hyped up midfield might be pretty good

I would have thought he was just about your best tonight.
He was the main instigator when you guys did really well, and almost got you guys a big enough lead to probably dent our confidence and possible take us out of the match.
I think he might even be in the brownlow votes.

So now youve just gotta get Judd right and your hyped up midfield might be pretty good

thornton or simpson were our best

Thanks for the game

Is that 12 losses in a row?

I think carlton's longest ever losing streak is 14

3 more and this curent team has the record

Do you think you can snap the streak?

Good luck ;)

There were a few positives.
Some of our passages of play in the 2nd were brilliant. Great brand of footy. But we need to be superfit to pull it off for 4 quarters and a fair few of our players aren't fully match fit...coming of injury and illness...Judd, Stevens, Hadley and Setanta will run into full fitness in the next several weeks.
Positives:
- thought Cloke did well. Very versatile and tough. But will be great when Hampson or Kreuzer can help out.
- Jake Edwards presented well and will not miss those shots in his second game (I hope).
- Bower is coming along in leaps and bounds. After early doubts, looks like a ten year players.
- Jamison is looking the goods. Have to remember no one can stop Richo when he is on fire. Thought he was where he needed to be on most occassions.
Thats a few of the lesser lights making good progress. Our top liners might take a few more weeks to hit their straps. Gibbs will only get better in the midfield and Murphy was looking good again.

Would like to see room made for Pfieffer and Hampson.

I tipped the Tigers to win by 25, so not too far off the mark. I had no expectations that we would win tonight. Setanta in the ruck? Setanta NOT on Richo? Judd, Stevens, Cloke, Hadley, Fevola all still working their way back? No Hampson, Walker, Kreuzer, Fisher?

Too many things going against us. BTW, we weren't smashed in the clearances until late. By then we'd frittered away too many chances and Richmond had taken too many of theirs.

The positives: Judd even at 75% is a gun. Stevo was a little better. Simpson was great. Fev keeps trying - the accuracy will come. The setup worked reasonably well until we tired.

The negatives: CHF. Everything else will be fixed in the coming weeks, but CHF will remain a problem all year. Accuracy in front of goal. 2:7 in the second half killed us.

Disappointed. But not worried.

Carlton will get so much better as the year goes on, no questions. We'll judge ourselves in round 10 or 11 when we play them again.

Jamison is looking the goods. Have to remember no one can stop Richo when he is on fire. Thought he was where he needed to be on most occassions.
That's a good point. Jammo didn't do much wrong, he's just not a match for Richo. Not many are for that matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back