Upgrade

Site Maintenance will be happening later on Saturday. Expect an outage of around 30 minutes at some stage.

Otherwise, use the site as normal.

Contact support@bigfooty.com if there are any big problems.

WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

KickDownTheLine

Draftee
Mar 29, 2023
AFL Club
Carlton
Round One Predictions

Point Cook 10 Points

Yarraville Seddon 24 Points

Caroline Springs 34 Points

Werribee Districts 6 Points
Point Cook to defeat Hoppers by 16 pts

----------------------------------------------

Caroline Springs to defeat Hoppers by 60pts

Point Cook to defeat centrals by 80pts

Werribee to defeat Spotty by 28pts

Altona to defeat Yarra by 54 pts

PubAmmo

Rookie
Oct 6, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hoppers to win by 10 points Good Friday

If they can field a team…. Hearing a lot going on down there right now. Anyone else hearing the same? Been a few clearances out of late and nothing in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Squeeky Clean

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon
If they can field a team…. Hearing a lot going on down there right now. Anyone else hearing the same? Been a few clearances out of late and nothing in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Heard they have had 3 practice matches for 2 wins

Squeeky Clean

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon
What was the final score against AJAX?
Absolutely no idea.

I can't wait Friday. All begins again. Hope there is a huge crowd at Hoppers. I think the game should be very competitive.

Looks like Point Cook have improved, and hoppers probably declined, but there was 15 goals between them last year, so I'm tipping a good game.

Get out and support local footy!

Robos

Team Captain
May 7, 2009
Point Cook
AFL Club
Melbourne
Absolutely no idea.

I can't wait Friday. All begins again. Hope there is a huge crowd at Hoppers. I think the game should be very competitive.

Looks like Point Cook have improved, and hoppers probably declined, but there was 15 goals between them last year, so I'm tipping a good game.

Get out and support local footy!
I’m thinking the same , pc have 15 goals to make up from last year and have improved with their new recruits . Hoppers May have dropped from last year but they have always been up there so I can see this a really good game with a big crowd .

Squeeky Clean

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon
Now hearing that the Bob Tregear rein is in full swing!

8 u/18 teams so that means 4 divisions!

They have only done preliminary fixtures so:

ROUND 1
Div 1: Werribee Districts vs Point Cook
Div 2: Caroline Springs vs Yarraville Seddon
Div 3: Altona vs Point Cook Centrals
Div 4: Spotswood vs Point Cook 2nds

ROUND 2
Div 1: Point Cook vs Werribee Districts
Div 2: Yarraville Seddon vs Caroline Springs
Div 3: Point Cook Centrals vs Altona
Div 4: Point Cook 2nds vs Spotswood

Finals to be over 6 weeks

Squeeky Clean

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon
Now hearing that the Bob Tregear rein is in full swing!

8 u/18 teams so that means 4 divisions!

They have only done preliminary fixtures so:

ROUND 1
Div 1: Werribee Districts vs Point Cook
Div 2: Caroline Springs vs Yarraville Seddon
Div 3: Altona vs Point Cook Centrals
Div 4: Spotswood vs Point Cook 2nds

ROUND 2
Div 1: Point Cook vs Werribee Districts
Div 2: Yarraville Seddon vs Caroline Springs
Div 3: Point Cook Centrals vs Altona
Div 4: Point Cook 2nds vs Spotswood

Finals to be over 6 weeks

5 teams in Div 1 16's.....

The future is stuffed

Squeeky Clean

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon
10 in Div 1 14s
5 divisions in u/16's, but only 5 teams in the top division. Reeks of clubs trying to hide for cheap flags.

Less teams more divisions. You know it makes sense....

The best kids have a week off every couple of weeks. What a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

leo tolstoy

Senior List
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
5 divisions in u/16's, but only 5 teams in the top division. Reeks of clubs trying to hide for cheap flags.

It is not an easy decision to make but I always feel it is better to have a larger Div 1. Hopefully you might get 3-4 weaker teams and the draw can be manipulated to allow these teams to play each other a little more than they play the top teams.

Squeeky Clean

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon
It is not an easy decision to make but I always feel it is better to have a larger Div 1. Hopefully you might get 3-4 weaker teams and the draw can be manipulated to allow these teams to play each other a little more than they play the top teams.

Absolutely.

They get it right for the 14's but stuff it for the 16's.

Seriously, how isn't it a uniformed system? The whole league is ran like a patchwork quilt.

Get your bloody heads out of the sand and stand for something WRFL. Stop letting clubs dictate how to run and govern.

ROOS77

Team Captain
Jan 4, 2009
Spotswood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely.

Seriously, how isn't it a uniformed system? The whole league is ran like a patchwork quilt.

Get your bloody heads out of the sand and stand for something WRFL. Stop letting clubs dictate how to run and govern.
Unfortunately, parents let their kids chase junior premierships at the stronger clubs, so the stronger clubs get stronger every year

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Complete Joke. Div 1, 2 3, & 5 with 5 teams and Div 4 with 7 teams. Hope the clubs in Div 1,2,3,& 5 are getting a rebate from the league for those games they will be missing.
Interesting that a club who has only one team in U16 this year is in Div 4 even though in 2022 their U16s were in Div 2 following promotion during the year from Div 3 and in 2021 the U14's finished in Div 4 after being promoted from Div 5 during the year. Could they have some assistance from those making the decisions?

Squeeky Clean

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon
Nothing to do with 2nd division , We are talking about kids footy, where’s the loyalty? Parents who let their kids change clubs for a chance to win a junior flag are a joke
From what I witness, clubs don't work hard enough with thier kids and junior parente, they just you the cash injection and waste it on blokes that play seniors that will be walking the other way the moment someone offers more.

So if the club isn't winning, and they don't give a stuff about you, then sure why wouldn't you move.

Clubs that don't strive are going to falter. Something as basic as a uniformed 16's division should be implemented and set in stone.

5 divisions over 27 teams, how can anyone say that's a good thing?

ROOS77

Team Captain
Jan 4, 2009
Spotswood
AFL Club
Collingwood
From what I witness, clubs don't work hard enough with thier kids and junior parente, they just you the cash injection and waste it on blokes that play seniors that will be walking the other way the moment someone offers more.

So if the club isn't winning, and they don't give a stuff about you, then sure why wouldn't you move.

Clubs that don't strive are going to falter. Something as basic as a uniformed 16's division should be implemented and set in stone.

5 divisions over 27 teams, how can anyone say that's a good thing?
I agree with you that’s it’s not great that some senior footy clubs are being propped up by their juniors.
Clubs that have seperate juniors from their seniors works imo, it makes the seniors work for their money.

I just took a look and for the record, I think the u16 structure is ridiculous this year, not sure why you’d have byes in so many different divisions when you don’t have to.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Absolutely.

I agree, it looks terrible, and clubs sooking and hiding behind player retention as their excuse for not pushing up to higher grades from what I notice.

However, I was told by a club official, that the 16's format is only temporary, and that the current top 4 divisions will actually be compressed into 3 divisions, using the first 4 weeks as 'grading' to eliminate excuses from clubs for not being in the correct division.

so maybe turn into something like 8, 8, 8 across the top 3 maybe...

I think two years ago it proved having on 5 teams in the Div 1 in each age group diminished the standards across the league, not improved them.

Squeeky Clean

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon
I agree, it looks terrible, and clubs sooking and hiding behind player retention as their excuse for not pushing up to higher grades from what I notice.

However, I was told by a club official, that the 16's format is only temporary, and that the current top 4 divisions will actually be compressed into 3 divisions, using the first 4 weeks as 'grading' to eliminate excuses from clubs for not being in the correct division.

I think two years ago it proved having on 5 teams in the Div 1 in each age group diminished the standards across the league, not improved them.

If that's the case, I'm ok with that

ROOS77

Team Captain
Jan 4, 2009
Spotswood
AFL Club
Collingwood

Still doesn’t make sense to have byes in every division in the first four weeks

flamethrower

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
Still doesn’t make sense to have byes in every division in the first four weeks
Agree with this, especially as the first four games are being used as grading rounds. Why have 5 teams with a bye each week when divisions 0f 6,6,6 and 9 would only have 1 team with a bye and still allow the clubs with multiple teams to play in different divisions.

Remove this Banner Ad