WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you just recruit more players… most teams recruit 10+ players a year plus you have players come down cause they know someone.

Agree damn shame.
You dont think they may have tried that? As mentioned numerous times in the WRFL threads the Wyndham area is a bloody hard area to operate in with the number of clubs in the area. Unfortunately Glen Orden could not keep up and I guarantee you they wont be the last in the area to fold.

You dont think they may have tried that? As mentioned numerous times in the WRFL threads the Wyndham area is a bloody hard area to operate in with the number of clubs in the area. Unfortunately Glen Orden could not keep up and I guarantee you they wont be the last in the area to fold.
They already aren't. Westbourne went down after them

When I was in primary school, Local footy teams, VFA teams and league players used to come to the school semi regularly and do clinics, hand out vic kick footies etc showbags etc.

None of that happens anymore

When I was in primary school, Local footy teams, VFA teams and league players used to come to the school semi regularly and do clinics, hand out vic kick footies etc showbags etc.

None of that happens anymore
The introduction of Auskick stopped all that……the players go to Auskick now instead , it’s afl funded

Agreed with what’s said above, I don’t feel the senior team should be punished, more so the guilty individuals made an example of or the outside influences etc unless it’s frequently recurring then well the league would have a decision to make but it is a bad look nonetheless

Rockbank, Laverton & North Sunshine have all recruited 20+ players…

Let’s face it these are the worst teams in the Western Suburbs. If they can do it, a Division 2 club or recently won a premiership surely can do it. Keep in mind GO have a bigger salary cap than Lavo & Norf.

100% the cue was put in the rack.

Let’s face it these are the worst teams in the Western Suburbs. If they can do it, a Division 2 club or recently won a premiership surely can do it. Keep in mind GO have a bigger salary cap than Lavo & Norf.

If there is not sufficient interest and participation from volunteers and players then clubs fold. It's been happening for 100 years and will continue for another 100 years. No-ones fault, just the way it is.
Seddon , North Ken , Wembley Park

If there is not sufficient interest and participation from volunteers and players then clubs fold. It's been happening for 100 years and will continue for another 100 years. No-ones fault, just the way it is.
Seddon , North Ken , Wembley Park
Generally junior players graduate to their unders and onto the seniors. As a general rule their parents follow.
Most parents only have to be asked (occasionally) to help with something menial, acknowledged and thanked. Repeat. They stick.
Try it! It works.

Juniors who play on Fridays for their schools are quite often encouraged by their friends to come and play with their junior clubs. Those players include non-participants in local junior clubs and occasionally soccer players (who adapt quickly).

Therefore that's 60+ players pilfered from other (mostly) WRFL clubs. ??

WynVale V Albion this week should be a cracker. I can tell you now , neither club like each other. Do yourself a favour and get down to Parson's Reserve for some fireworks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

The Western Bulldogs have an academy kid Hussein Kadour who played for Newport on the weekend and bagged 6 goals. Can anyone tell me what type of player he is? TIA

Hi all,

The Western Bulldogs have an academy kid Hussein Kadour who played for Newport on the weekend and bagged 6 goals. Can anyone tell me what type of player he is? TIA
Newport would be his 3rd or 4th club and he’s only 17yo.
Wasn’t a bad junior but not sure he’s playing any higher than local footy

The Western Bulldogs have an academy kid Hussein Kadour who played for Newport on the weekend and bagged 6 goals. Can anyone tell me what type of player

Plays multiple roles everytime i go and watch. Plays back line, forward and has been thrown in the midfield when needed. Has rag dolled some big bodied men and made them look silly in 1 on 1 contest. The kid can play and has great attitude.

And how many from elsewhere?
About a dozen, spread throughout. Don't know anything about the quality.
School Sport Victoria already run an Australian Rules competition for primary and secondary schools. Most schools in Wyndham and Hobsons Bay partcipate in this. Many of the WRFL's clubs run Auskick programs to introduce kids to Aussie Rules as well (local WRFL clubs are advertising their Auskick and junior footy programs at the local primary schools all the time looking for new players).

The WRFL itself has a hard enough time trying to organise their own junior competitions (which start at under 8s) without getting involved in the affairs of primary schools.
Auskick isn't school footy. It certainly develops skills, however it is questionable how many graduate to junior teams.
Please name the schools within the Wyndham catchment that compete in the local schools' competition.

Local clubs must assist, sponsor and throw club support to the schools which in turn will strengthen their junior teams plus garner parental support.

From comments posted, there seems to be a dearth of WRFL club hierarchy and supporters who are prepared to move out of the comfort zone of their club(s) and attempt to introduce (especially migrant) children into Auzzie Rules as school footy is known for.

About a dozen, spread throughout. Don't know anything about the quality.

Auskick isn't school footy. It certainly develops skills, however it is questionable how many graduate to junior teams.
Please name the schools within the Wyndham catchment that compete in the local schools' competition.

Local clubs must assist, sponsor and throw club support to the schools which in turn will strengthen their junior teams plus garner parental support.

From comments posted, there seems to be a dearth of WRFL club hierarchy and supporters who are prepared to move out of the comfort zone of their club(s) and attempt to introduce (especially migrant) children into Auzzie Rules as school footy is known for.
They have like 30 non-WRFL players each… Point was: where there is a will, there is a way. It can be done.

Who wins the flag from here?

I think it’s fair to rule out Braybrook, North Footscray, Wyndham Vale and Newport.

Albion, Sunshine and Parkside are the three for me. Personally, I think Albion will only get better - they’ll pick up another couple of guns before June 30 and they appear to be cruising now.

They have like 30 non-WRFL players each… Point was: where there is a will, there is a way. It can be done.

I think it’s fair to rule out Braybrook, North Footscray, Wyndham Vale and Newport.

Albion, Sunshine and Parkside are the three for me. Personally, I think Albion will only get better - they’ll pick up another couple of guns before June 30 and they appear to be cruising now.
Albion was my pick as the big improver and nothing has changed there.

Parkside would be favourites.

The only one I would not rule out in your list is Newport.

Outside of Braybrook it is a great comp this year.

Not sure any of them would survive in Div 1 if they go up, but at least a premiership in Div 2 would soften any blow there

WV won at Sunshine and ran Parkside to a point a few weeks ago.

Beaten easily at Albion last week but the Cats are on a roll, would you discard WV?

Not discarding them yet, but being told the players don’t understand the game plan the coach is trying to implement.

They may be a team that sprints to the finish this season if it all clicks by mid year

Tips for tomorrow boys ?

I have

Newport by 25
Parkside by 22
Wyndhamvale by 169

Gonna be a good week of footy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back