WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not involved, but I’m pretty sure..
The question is ‘would’ ??
And the answer is ‘No’.
Won’t happen!

As most Western Suburbs' clubs have no time for each other, you will find that Red Club would be happy to see Blue Club disband. The Red Club will follow.

Look at Newport, West Newport, Newport East, and Central Altona—four clubs, all within 3 clicks of each other. Merge with those bathplugs: no way! They're now all gone.

Also, in the former VFA, Yarraville and Sunshine were advised to merge or be eliminated. Hasta la vista!

Western Suburb's mentality? (FUJ)

They are not that close to each other at all. North Sunshine are significantly closer to Braybrook and Sunshine so doubt there is any benefit to Heights in that merger
Correct Lachy. North and Heights, apart from wearing similar guernseys, are less than 4km away from each other. Too far?!?

Going to be done shocking games of football in this division
Wrfl is going backwards.
Really need to get there hands on the melton teams an burnside etc
Why would they want to leave there leagues.
Melton centrals could be a realistic target

First two points are spot on but based on those points, why would the Melton teams and Burnside join?

Melton Centrals are probably the only realistic target outside the league and that would only occur so that they are a point of difference football-wise for those that don't want to play Ballarat or Riddell footy.

Yeah I know why would they join, I think the country feel of the Ballarat league appeals to and the standards.and the netball side of things work to well on the same day.
It’s a great league.

As for centrals I think there just stuck, have been for years, more of a social club

Correct Lachy. North and Heights, apart from wearing similar guernseys, are less than 4km away from each other. Too far?!?
Closer to 5 klms whereas Braybrook and Sunshine YCW are 2 and under Klms away. Even Albion is quite a bit close than Heights. For local suburban football the other 2 would make significantly more sense particularly if you want to try and build some sort of junior program

Closer to 5 klms whereas Braybrook and Sunshine YCW are 2 and under Klms away. Even Albion is quite a bit close than Heights. For local suburban football the other 2 would make significantly more sense particularly if you want to try and build some sort of junior program
You're right again Lachy. I was thinking more of their colours and the name, 'Sunshine'.

There’s strength in numbers; perhaps other local clubs could also get together for a chat? North and West Footscray – a no-brainer!

I don't think it would take too long to work out a name or a guernsey configuration for such merged entities.

My post yesterday explained the reasons why 6 Western suburban clubs have disappeared. Clubs in other leagues don't dislike each other as do WRFNL clubs; all the ghost clubs needed was to speak to each other as there was plenty of common ground there.

You're right again Lachy. I was thinking more of their colours and the name, 'Sunshine'.

There’s strength in numbers; perhaps other local clubs could also get together for a chat? North and West Footscray – a no-brainer!

I don't think it would take too long to work out a name or a guernsey configuration for such merged entities.

My post yesterday explained the reasons why 6 Western suburban clubs have disappeared. Clubs in other leagues don't dislike each other as do WRFNL clubs; all the ghost clubs needed was to speak to each other as there was plenty of common ground there.
What about Tarneit and the Suns, surely in the long term both teams can’t be sustained with both and juniors in the Tarneit area?

What about Tarneit and the Suns, surely in the long term both teams can’t be sustained with both and juniors in the Tarneit area?

Tarneit is a massive area and still growing to the West and North. It's not necessarily full of people who love and play AFL football, but both clubs are getting closer to a full compliment of juniors with Tarneit attempting to field an U18s team this year.

Both of these clubs will be OK, long term.
Won’t happen!

As most Western Suburbs' clubs have no time for each other, you will find that Red Club would be happy to see Blue Club disband. The Red Club will follow.

Look at Newport, West Newport, Newport East, and Central Altona—four clubs, all within 3 clicks of each other. Merge with those bathplugs: no way! They're now all gone.

Also, in the former VFA, Yarraville and Sunshine were advised to merge or be eliminated. Hasta la vista!

Western Suburb's mentality? (FUJ)

SS, two of the local clubs you mention were expelled from the FDFL due to on field behaviour, numbers were not a factor. Why would any other club want to merge with either of them?

Not sure it's "western suburbs mentality" to avoid mergers. YSE is a good example of open thinking to merging and its been a success. Seddon were on their knees at the time and their name has been preserved.

Yarrraville VFA were a basket case when they were expelled from the VFA, whilst Sunshine were a victim of the VFA's rationalisation to 1 division. Sunshine played in a VFA GF after Yarraville's expulsion and lasted 9 more seasons. Was involved at the VFA at the time and the VFA didn't want a merged club. Yarraville actually applied to join the FDFL after leaving the VFA, but failed. Nowhere to go.

From a club's point of view, to me, a merger is a last resort. If you're fielding 2 sides, behaving on field and paying your bills, you keep going, things can change. If you can't do that anymore, by all means, ring the club up the road.

Tarneit is a massive area and still growing to the West and North. It's not necessarily full of people who love and play AFL football, but both clubs are getting closer to a full compliment of juniors with Tarneit attempting to field an U18s team this year.

Both of these clubs will be OK, long term.

SS, two of the local clubs you mention were expelled from the FDFL due to on field behaviour, numbers were not a factor. Why would any other club want to merge with either of them?

Not sure it's "western suburbs mentality" to avoid mergers. YSE is a good example of open thinking to merging and its been a success. Seddon were on their knees at the time and their name has been preserved.

Yarrraville VFA were a basket case when they were expelled from the VFA, whilst Sunshine were a victim of the VFA's rationalisation to 1 division. Sunshine played in a VFA GF after Yarraville's expulsion and lasted 9 more seasons. Was involved at the VFA at the time and the VFA didn't want a merged club. Yarraville actually applied to join the FDFL after leaving the VFA, but failed. Nowhere to go.

From a club's point of view, to me, a merger is a last resort. If you're fielding 2 sides, behaving on field and paying your bills, you keep going, things can change. If you can't do that anymore, by all means, ring the club up the road.
Who were the two clubs booted out for infield behaviour?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually could have been all three from what i recall.
Newport East also dissolved, formerly a YCW club as Newport YCW.

The Willi CYs applied to join the Ammos from the WSFL after a very nasty NE game with several CY's players taken to outpatients.
Internal CY discussion regarding moving was enhanced by that game as the lack of Umpire fortitude and strong decision making wasn’t there. Such feebleness helped the CYs to decide to opt-out.

The exit was joined by Port Colts to the FDFL and Werribee Districts to one of the Geelong Leagues.

This post is merely stating the facts of almost 40 years ago; the WRFNL is heads and shoulders above the former WSFL.

Last edited:
The FDFL took a few of the ex-YCWNFL clubs that caused havoc, apart from Newport East, North Melbourne-Kensington and to a lesser extent Braybrook YCW and Flemington.

What a comp the YCWNFL must have been, the only decent club that has contributed to the FDFL / WRFL long term is Sunshine.

Shame that NE, who from memory only played locally for a few years, cost the then FDFL Williamstown CYMS, still a shame there is no senior Williamstown presence in the WFNL.

Imagine hosting a marquee game and not doing live scores....

Other leagues broadcast, we can't even do quarter to quarter scores.

Scores for lavo v Braybrook ? Not on website
Braybrook by 12 goals. Laverton real ordinary. Don’t know many of Braybrooks players to know if they improved significantly. Thought with some of lavertons recruits they would be more competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back