WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They will be bottom 4-5

Cmon what recruits are any good?? Lost Gregson who was there best player
Agree Turbo, they only have 4-5 premiership players left from 2022 and the new players look like thirds or Reserves players.

Bottom 5 I’d say, will only beat North Sunshine, Laverton, Heights and probably Rams.

New 2024 fixture for Div 2, what a disgrace this is. I want to make it clear I have no affiliation with any team.

How does this happen,

North Sunshine - Play all 3 Div 2 finalist teams from 2023 in their first 4 games, Albion, Newport & Sunshine. They will play these team twice.
Sunshine Heights - Play all 3 Div 2 finalist teams from 2023 in their first 5 games, Albion, Newport & Sunshine. They will play these team twice
Wyndhamvale - Don't play a Div 2 finalist team in 2023 until round 9. In their first 8 games they only play 2 Div 2 2023 teams being North Footscray & Braybrook.
Albion - 2023 Div 2 Grand Finalist team only play 1 team that played Div 2 finals in their first 7 games.
Wyndham Suns - Don't play a Div 2 finalist team in 2023 until round 10.
Newport - Only play 1 div 2 team from 2023 in their first 4 games, this being Braybrook.

This fixture to me looks like the WRFNL are trying to get any one of the previous year's Div 2 stronger clubs Albion, Newport, Wyndhamvale & Sunshine the best chance to play finals and be promoted to Div 1 in 2025.

As a local football supporter we only want to watch competitive games and not blow outs. The WRFNL need to consider how this will affect lower clubs that have not had success in recent years. It doesn't help any club winning or losing in a one-sided thrashing game.

By changing the fixture impacts all clubs as now they will be playing 18 games instead of previous fixture being 16. These additional 2 games would not have been considered by clubs when signing player and setting season player payment budgets. Every club now need to find additional funds for 2 more games of player payments in 2024 season.

My solution would be,

Have a 17 round season

2. There will be 3 groups of clubs listed below.

3. Each group will play all other teams in their group twice. The first and last 4 rounds of the season. Group 3 will be different which is listed in point 5 as there is only 4 teams in their group.

4. From round 5 you will start playing all other teams once from other groups.

5. Group 3 teams in round 17 will play each other again but the two teams that have either higher winning games points or if equal than revert to percentage will play each other. The two lower teams of this group will play each other.

Group 1
Albion, Newport, Sunshine, Wyndhamvale, Wyndham Suns
Group 2
North Footscray, West Footscray, Braybrook, Albanvale, Sunshine Heights
Group 3
Laverton, Western Rams, Tarneit, North Sunshine

Attachments

• fixture 2024.jpg
    fixture 2024.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 182
New 2024 fixture for Div 2, what a disgrace this is. I want to make it clear I have no affiliation with any team.

How does this happen,

North Sunshine - Play all 3 Div 2 finalist teams from 2023 in their first 4 games, Albion, Newport & Sunshine. They will play these team twice.
Sunshine Heights - Play all 3 Div 2 finalist teams from 2023 in their first 5 games, Albion, Newport & Sunshine. They will play these team twice
Wyndhamvale - Don't play a Div 2 finalist team in 2023 until round 9. In their first 8 games they only play 2 Div 2 2023 teams being North Footscray & Braybrook.
Albion - 2023 Div 2 Grand Finalist team only play 1 team that played Div 2 finals in their first 7 games.
Newport - Only play 1 div 2 team from 2023 in their first 4 games, this being Braybrook.

This fixture to me looks like the WRFNL are trying to get any one of the previous year's Div 2 stronger clubs Albion, Newport, Wyndhamvale & Sunshine the best chance to play finals and be promoted to Div 1 in 2025.

As a local football supporter we only want to watch competitive games and not blow outs. The WRFNL need to consider how this will affect lower clubs that have not had success in recent years. It doesn't help any club winning or losing in a one-sided thrashing game.

By changing the fixture impacts all clubs as now they will be playing 18 games instead of previous fixture being 16. These additional 2 games would not have been considered by clubs when signing player and setting season player payment budgets. Every club now need to find additional funds for 2 more games of player payments in 2024 season.

My solution would be,

Have a 17 round season

3. Each group will play all other teams in their group twice. The first and last 4 rounds of the season. Group 3 will be different which is listed in point 5 as there is only 4 teams in their group.

5. Group 3 teams in round 17 will play each other again but the two teams that have either higher winning games points or if equal than revert to percentage will play each other. The two lower teams of this group will play each other.

Group 1
Group 2
Group 3
Agree - quite possibly the worst fixture in WRFL history. On what planet is Nth Sunny against Albion, Sunshine and Newport in the first 4 rounds a good idea?
Absolutely crucifies a struggling club. And does nothing positive for anyone.
And the rest of draw is riddled with very questionable decisions…
Either absolute amateurs ‘rejigged’ that draw or there are ulterior motives ……. and I suspect they’re not smart enough to fulfil ulterior motives.

How does this happen,

My solution would be,

Have a 17 round season

Group 1
Group 2
Group 3
I can only put my finger on 1 of 2 things:
1) what you mentioned above…..giving best chance to these higher ranked clubs to win the flag and go up to D1.
2) Destroy…..put the final nail in the coffin of these weaker clubs (Nth Sunny and Sunshine Hts) so that they fold and the league D2 drops back to a more manageable number of teams!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 4? C’mon, try the top 8.
Name them then 1874..

Honestly Braybrook will improve from last year but so they should, they were woeful in 2023.

In saying that, the top end Division 3 clubs have already improved more given the recruits they have announced and let’s face it last year’s Division 3 top 4 would have pumped Braybrook last year.

But good to see you are confident about your club.

Going to be done shocking games of football in this division
Wrfl is going backwards.
Really need to get there hands on the melton teams an burnside etc
Why would they want to leave there leagues.
Melton centrals could be a realistic target

Going to be done shocking games of football in this division
Wrfl is going backwards.
Really need to get there hands on the melton teams an burnside etc
Why would they want to leave there leagues.
Melton centrals could be a realistic target
Agreed. If most of the results go the way we expect, I don't see how these clubs attract players at all. Wouldn't be surprised if a handful of them are gone in a few seasons under the current structure.

Agreed. If most of the results go the way we expect, I don't see how these clubs attract players at all. Wouldn't be surprised if a handful of them are gone in a few seasons under the current structure.
It is more likely that Division 2 shrinks over the next few years than grows enough to bring back Div 3 for the clubs that Div 3 is more appropriate.

At the end of the season 1 club is likely to go up to Div 1 to make that a 10 team competition so it will be interesting to see how the perennial Div 3 clubs go. Hope they all survive

Could sunshine heights and north merge ?
They are not that close to each other at all. North Sunshine are significantly closer to Braybrook and Sunshine so doubt there is any benefit to Heights in that merger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back