WRFL Div 3 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Grassroots Guru

Senior List
Mar 29, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Full credit to North Sunshine and Laverton for saddling up each season amongst such challenging circumstances.

Can anyone elaborate on why Manor Lakes folded so abruptly and prematurely compared to the above mentioned sides?
I mean they weren’t even the worst side in D2 when they packed it up, there’s certainly been far worse sides in Victoria that’s hung in there even with 250+ floggings on a regular basis.

ave_mid

Senior List
Nov 18, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Full credit to North Sunshine and Laverton for saddling up each season amongst such challenging circumstances.

Can anyone elaborate on why Manor Lakes folded so abruptly and prematurely compared to the above mentioned sides?
I mean they weren’t even the worst side in D2 when they packed it up, there’s certainly been far worse sides in Victoria that’s hung in there even with 250+ floggings on a regular basis.

I believe they spent cash they didn’t have be good to have them back in the comp

Love their jumpers

I commend the North Sunny and Laverton sides but without them we go back to a 2 division league where it’s better off

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Avg at best

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I believe they spent cash they didn’t have be good to have them back in the comp

Love their jumpers

I commend the North Sunny and Laverton sides but without them we go back to a 2 division league where it’s better off

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Laverton is almost a 100 year old club and I think North Sunshine are about 60 years old why would anyone want them to fold? I
just don’t get it. They’ll keep coming back and if they get flogged every week then so be it, I personally hate seeing clubs fold.

Finished

Rookie
Dec 3, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Laverton is almost a 100 year old club and I think North Sunshine are about 60 years old why would anyone want them to fold? I
just don’t get it. They’ll keep coming back and if they get flogged every week then so be it, I personally hate seeing clubs fold.
If it’s addressed won’t Always be the way. Plenty of successful clubs spent years down the bottom. I def don’t want to to see another club start up. Nothing against Tarneit and Suns but they are still stuck in Div 3 with Tarneit seeing no Chance in promotion anytime soon but will improve. The other new club to start up manor lakes has folded already. So new clubs aren’t the answer either. I hope north sun and Lavo keep it going. On that front any word on both of those clubs numbers and will both sides be fielding teams 100%

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If it’s addressed won’t Always be the way. Plenty of successful clubs spent years down the bottom. I def don’t want to to see another club start up. Nothing against Tarneit and Suns but they are still stuck in Div 3 with Tarneit seeing no Chance in promotion anytime soon but will improve. The other new club to start up manor lakes has folded already. So new clubs aren’t the answer either. I hope north sun and Lavo keep it going. On that front any word on both of those clubs numbers and will both sides be fielding teams 100%

Maybe issue with those clubs is that when they started, they started with both Juniors & Seniors in same year, unlike Caroline Springs & Pt Cook who started with Juniors and waited several years before starting Seniors and are now strong clubs

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maybe issue with those clubs is that when they started, they started with both Juniors & Seniors in same year, unlike Caroline Springs & Pt Cook who started with Juniors and waited several years before starting Seniors and are now strong clubs
There has only been 5 clubs promoted since Tarneit and Suns joined the comp. Albanvale 2015, came back down in 2019, then 3 div 2 sides given free passes by the WRFL, 2016 Newport(should have been straight into Div 2), 2017 Parkside, 2018 Sanctuary Lakes, 2019 Glenorden. I don't think you can be to critical on the way the Suns and Tarneit have gone about it, Suns have played in 3 and Tarneit 4 years of finals and Suns would have push for the flag in 2021 and will do again this season.

Finished

Rookie
Dec 3, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s not critical it’s just they haven’t been promoted and are new clubs. Competitive is good and they are great for the comp juts don’t think Lavo and North Sun folding and new teams replacing them is a good solution.

Again has anyone got confirmation Lavo and North have numbers to compete again this year?

if even one falls over the Div 3 comp would be even more ridiculous with only 6 teams.Hoping for dramatic improvement from Tarneit and SH to make the comp a little more interesting.
Heard braybrook losing more players too.

There has only been 5 clubs promoted since Tarneit and Suns joined the comp. Albanvale 2015, came back down in 2019, then 3 div 2 sides given free passes by the WRFL, 2016 Newport(should have been straight into Div 2), 2017 Parkside, 2018 Sanctuary Lakes, 2019 Glenorden. I don't think you can be to critical on the way the Suns and Tarneit have gone about it, Suns have played in 3 and Tarneit 4 years of finals and Suns would have push for the flag in 2021 and will do again this season.

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s not critical it’s just they haven’t been promoted and are new clubs. Competitive is good and they are great for the comp juts don’t think Lavo and North Sun folding and new teams replacing them is a good solution.

Again has anyone got confirmation Lavo and North have numbers to compete again this year?

if even one falls over the Div 3 comp would be even more ridiculous with only 6 teams.Hoping for dramatic improvement from Tarneit and SH to make the comp a little more interesting.
Heard braybrook losing more players too.
Who knows what will happen until clearances start going through in Feb. It may also come down to clubs saying that Albanvale/Suns are to far ahead to catch in 2022 so lets keep money in the bank try to develop what we have and then recruit for 2023.

Covid will be an issue, be interested to see what the league does if clubs need to forfeit due to covid. Clubs will be missing players each week due to Covid it will be just a matter of how many, also umpires we might see a number of weeks with out umpires in Div 3.

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast

All I’m saying is the 2 teams who waited to commence senior football whilst they built a strong junior program and become financially sound are playing Div 1 and the other 2 still playing Div 3 against not very strong competition

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
All I’m saying is the 2 teams who waited to commence senior football whilst they built a strong junior program and become financially sound are playing Div 1 and the other 2 still playing Div 3 against not very strong competition
Point Cook went 8 years in the VAFA with out winning a flag only making finals 4 of those years and was in contention to be relegated from Div 1 last season. It still takes time to build a senior program with our with out Juniors, juniors help but Deer Park shows money wins more flags than juniors.

Finished

Rookie
Dec 3, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Tarneit are that not very strong opposition.

Avg at best

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Point Cook went 8 years in the VAFA with out winning a flag only making finals 4 of those years and was in contention to be relegated from Div 1 last season. It still takes time to build a senior program with our with out Juniors, juniors help but Deer Park shows money wins more flags than juniors.
Yeah but I can see Point Cook being a Div One powerhouse. Remember Altona had an average senior side up until about 15 years ago. Yeah they won a couple of Div Two flags but they were no where near the better sides in the top division. They invested in there junior program and I think you'll find that most of the Altona senior and reserves side are ex juniors. Point Cook are going about it the right way.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace

...and somewhere in between is PC Centrals. Started year 1 with senior teams and have at least got out of D3.

The 2 clubs you talk of, CS and PC had AFL / AFL Vic support when they were formed, maybe better planned? The Suns were "born" out of their split with Old Westbourne (not planned), whilst not sure of the story behind Tarneit.

Either way, the Suns and Tarneit will be OK long term, just taking them a bit longer. Growing from the bottom up is the way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Madawhohar

Rookie
Jan 22, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
...and somewhere in between is PC Centrals. Started year 1 with senior teams and have at least got out of D3.

The 2 clubs you talk of, CS and PC had AFL / AFL Vic support when they were formed, maybe better planned? The Suns were "born" out of their split with Old Westbourne (not planned), whilst not sure of the story behind Tarneit.

Either way, the Suns and Tarneit will be OK long term, just taking them a bit longer. Growing from the bottom up is the way to go.
With all due respect ‘Dogs’, SancLakes hardly got out of Div3 playing by the rules, and were allowed to do so by a limp wristed league boss.
I’d be very surprised if CS or PC got much more than token support from AFL (because the AFL are pathetic at supporting grass roots)
The Suns are well managed at committee level and Tarneit should be commended for making finals so early, coming from nothing.
As Wickers has said - Deer Park proves money wins more premierships than juniors.
And from what I’ve heard , even with the effects of Covid, there’s still heaps of money being splashed around by ‘some’ clubs.

Finished

Rookie
Dec 3, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
With all due respect ‘Dogs’, SancLakes hardly got out of Div3 playing by the rules, and were allowed to do so by a limp wristed league boss.
I’d be very surprised if CS or PC got much more than token support from AFL (because the AFL are pathetic at supporting grass roots)
The Suns are well managed at committee level and Tarneit should be commended for making finals so early, coming from nothing.
As Wickers has said - Deer Park proves money wins more premierships than juniors.
And from what I’ve heard , even with the effects of Covid, there’s still heaps of money being splashed around by ‘some’ clubs.
Only two teams in the comp have players worth any money. Not sure there is heaps getting splashed around though?

Wickers18

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Only two teams in the comp have players worth any money. Not sure there is heaps getting splashed around though?
Yep, you might find the other clubs are not interested in keeping up with the spend of the top 2 or 3 sides in 2022, let them fight out this year and build for 2023.

Finished

Rookie
Dec 3, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep, you might find the other clubs are not interested in keeping up with the spend of the top 2 or 3 sides in 2022, let them fight out this year and build for 2023.
Yeah you’d hardly bother. For example braybrook maybe the third best side just…. But what braybrook have lost and the others gained they would need to gain about 10 goals minimum. Probably need at least 4 - 6 quality players. Surely if your those teams common sense states put the $$$ in the bank and start targeting quality for 2023. There’s a need to stay semi decent but you’d want to do that at low
Cost.

Surely you’d cut any player on money unlikely to be there in 2023. Id put decent money on Tarneit
Leap frogging Braybrook in 23

Bigballer92

Debutant
Nov 15, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Any else more interesting besides Lawrie's club hopping?
Who has booked in their practice matches?
Anyone think there will be a third side in the race for the cup besides just Albanvale and Suns?
Give me something people!

1stEmergency

Team Captain
Dec 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any else more interesting besides Lawrie's club hopping?
Who has booked in their practice matches?
Anyone think there will be a third side in the race for the cup besides just Albanvale and Suns?
Give me something people!

Will Sunshine Heights have two sides this year? A lot outs..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back