WRFL Division 2 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowathingor2

Rookie
May 19, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Just found this on the web. It does seem to be getting out of hand out there.

A football club has come under scrutiny after a player filmed himself burning and urinating on another club’s jersey before sharing the video on a messaging app. Generic picture: Supplied
VIC News
Newport Power under 17s football player films himself burning and urinating on Spotswood jumper
CASSIE ZERVOS, Herald Sun
July 10, 2017 8:50pm
Subscriber only
A FERAL football club has come under scrutiny after a video has emerged of a player burning and urinating on another club’s jumper.

The under-17s Newport Power football player last week filmed himself performing the lewd act and sent the video around on messaging app, WhatsApp.

The Herald Sun can also reveal a brawl between Newport Power and Yarraville Eagles forced the Saturday match to be abandoned at halftime.

A witness at the Western Region Football League Division 2 seniors decider, who wished to remain anonymous due to safety reasons, said Newport players started to get rough.

He described the brawl, as a “scuffle that got out of hand”.

“Newport has a bad reputation and it’s disappointing the game was called off,” the Herald Sun was told.

“What happened on Saturday is shocking for the Western Region Football League and football culture in general.”

The witness said umpires felt so threatened they were forced to call off the game.

Newport Power under-9’s junior coach Jason Cranage said the club’s senior sides had a long history with cultural issues.

“Our junior club is against the behaviour of some of the players on the senior team and we are passionate to change the culture of our club,” he said.

“The junior teams, their parents, and the players have a really high expectation of values and moral and we will fight to change our club.”

Newport Power president Peter Young told parents and players the “undesirable video” originated from the club.

“The player responsible owned up to his involvement directly to myself and his coach,” he said.

“After understanding what he thought initially a harmless prank has ramifications for his team and the greater club, he immediately imposed a suspension upon himself from playing in the Newport jumper until the matter could be heard by our club’s disciplinary committee this week.”

He said Newport had been “let down by just a handful of players” in Saturday’s brawl.

“A number of Newport Power’s players have had prior warnings ... they will be asked to leave the club immediately.”

Western Region Football League said it was investigating both incidents.
This does not surprise me at all...watched a Power Under 17 game recently and was disgusted !!!! The League must step in....this post speaks for itself....

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This does not surprise me at all...watched a Power Under 17 game recently and was disgusted !!!! The League must step in....this post speaks for itself....

League step in! I'm still waiting for response/comments to the incidents that happened in the first 3/4 weeks in Div 3.
I now know why the Point Cook Prez is hell bent on getting them into the WRFL

League step in! I'm still waiting for response/comments to the incidents that happened in the first 3/4 weeks in Div 3.
I now know why the Point Cook Prez is hell bent on getting them into the WRFL

Left for the clubs to work out internally was what i have been told. No response from the WRFL.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

I would be interested to know why after winning a premiership to go up a div2 why they didn't quickly reappoint the coach that got them success especially as he has experience at the highest level. No disrespect to Hanny but Mark Williams has a profile. I would think a club like Newport needs stability.

Sendoff

Draftee
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would be interested to know why after winning a premiership to go up a div2 why they didn't quickly reappoint the coach that got them success especially as he has experience at the highest level. No disrespect to Hanny but Mark Williams has a profile. I would think a club like Newport needs stability.
I think he no longer wanted the role. I think Hanny has no control over the group....players run their own show. Imagine juniors watching their seniors play....what a pathetic example they are setting. Given that the league is simply incompetent and seem to revel in poor publicity....I think clubs need to make a stand. The league is nothing without the clubs.

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Newport Yarraville game couldn't have been that bad. Only one reported player. Don't understand why game was stopped then

GuessWhosBack

Draftee
Dec 12, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Newport Yarraville game couldn't have been that bad. Only one reported player. Don't understand why game was stopped then

I don't even think there was a report, a player from each team was sent off and that was it (that gets rid of the 4 red cards rumour)....
During the push and shove, a player was pushed and he went straight into the umpire, the umpire at that stage felt unsafe for himself and the fact there was 2 teenage boundry umpires he thought it was best to leave the field, fair call in my opinion, he had his work colleagues safety in mind.....

And for the other person claiming willo didn't want the job?? I can tell u now, he did everything in his power to win that job, only problem was he didn't apply for the job, apparently his 'resume' speaks for itself. My 8 year old son could've coached last years team to the flag so it wasn't Willo's magic wand that delivered the flag.

3 of their best players arnt playing there at the moment for different reasons yet they have still managed to win a few games and be competitive in their others, slot those 3 back in and they would easily be the 3rd best team in division 2 whilst spending no more then 20% of what the top 2 teams r spending

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't even think there was a report, a player from each team was sent off and that was it (that gets rid of the 4 red cards rumour)....
During the push and shove, a player was pushed and he went straight into the umpire, the umpire at that stage felt unsafe for himself and the fact there was 2 teenage boundry umpires he thought it was best to leave the field, fair call in my opinion, he had his work colleagues safety in mind.....

And for the other person claiming willo didn't want the job?? I can tell u now, he did everything in his power to win that job, only problem was he didn't apply for the job, apparently his 'resume' speaks for itself. My 8 year old son could've coached last years team to the flag so it wasn't Willo's magic wand that delivered the flag.

3 of their best players arnt playing there at the moment for different reasons yet they have still managed to win a few games and be competitive in their others, slot those 3 back in and they would easily be the 3rd best team in division 2 whilst spending no more then 20% of what the top 2 teams r spending

From WRFL website
http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36245301

upload_2017-7-13_8-57-55.png

If this was the case, still sounds a bit 'soft' to call of a game, if what you say is accurate. Umpire should not have been close enough to get involved in a 'push & shove' Just grab the ball, throw it up and get the game going, that will soon break it up

GuessWhosBack

Draftee
Dec 12, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
From WRFL website
http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36245301

View attachment 391859

If this was the case, still sounds a bit 'soft' to call of a game, if what you say is accurate. Umpire should not have been close enough to get involved in a 'push & shove' Just grab the ball, throw it up and get the game going, that will soon break it up

I stand corrected on the report, i actually didn't see an umpire even send him off so they must've discussed those charges after the game was called off.....

I also agree on just throwing the ball up, but that was probably the 3rd push and shove of the quarter, so maybe they also thought they were losing control of the game, it definitely wasn't a full scale riot like some on here r suggesting , plenty of games in division 3 were called off last year but Newport WASNT involved in any of them

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

The thing you need to remember regarding coaching appointments is:
1- Williams is a name and that creates good publicity as well as some others things.

2- I'm guessing his training drills and preparation were taken from his vast experience at the highest level.

3- Most importantly did he have the respect of the playing group and set standards? Yes the GF might have got ugly but wasn't that outside the fence and really out of his control somewhat. From what I heard he actually went beyond coaching and tried to get some order outside the fence. Also as you mentioned no NP games were abandoned last season so surely he was doing something right!!

4- You mentioned " tongue in cheek" your son could have coached that side. But did Williams play a part in assembling that list, remembering it was the first year back into senior footy in a long time..Not sure your son could have done that. Lol

bac

Senior List
Sep 10, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
western bulldogs
1- Williams is a name and that creates good publicity as well as some others things.

2- I'm guessing his training drills and preparation were taken from his vast experience at the highest level.

3- Most importantly did he have the respect of the playing group and set standards? Yes the GF might have got ugly but wasn't that outside the fence and really out of his control somewhat. From what I heard he actually went beyond coaching and tried to get some order outside the fence. Also as you mentioned no NP games were abandoned last season so surely he was doing something right!!

4- You mentioned " tongue in cheek" your son could have coached that side. But did Williams play a part in assembling that list, remembering it was the first year back into senior footy in a long time..Not sure your son could have done that. Lol
Pretty sure Newport vs Tarneit in the reserves last year was abandoned

GuessWhosBack

Draftee
Dec 12, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

I don't think his training drills or pre game prep were anywhere near the standard for an ex AFL player, and to a certain extent, it doesn't really need to be for park footy, but instilling some professionalism that he had picked up along his footy journey would've really benefited some of those kids, there was plenty that he did that would not be accepted at a divison1 club, or most local clubs for that matter, maybe that's the reason y some other WRFL club didn't grab him ....

Williams had absolutely no input in who played there last year, he DIDNT bring 1 player with him, and NOT 1 player there last year was there for him, that team would've been assembled with or without him, hence why my 8 year old son could've coached them last year.

anderson1948

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2013
williamstown
AFL Club
Sydney

You wouldn't have a clue on what the top 2 teams are paying

GuessWhosBack

Draftee
Dec 12, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Do those thugs at Newport honestly expect to be paid? Sooner the WRFL grow some balls and get rid of the rats the better

Well if you overturn the current board of the WRFL and become president yourself, then u can do as u please, if you don't want to do that, well then keep your cheap comments to yourself

GuessWhosBack

Draftee
Dec 12, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
sounds like GWB knows other clubs financials lol...

Probably a lot more then what u think, or would like to believe.
But if any of u can sit there and believe that either of them is paying less then 80k a year then u got no idea..... and again, good on em, this discussion isn't about what they r spending, I'm just purely pointing out that Newports spending is probably the least in the Comp.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back