WRFL Division 2 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good question to ask is how they can afford to 'throw the cash' around. Simple answer, good management going back to when they started. 2 of the bigger clubs in the league are Point Cook & Caroline Springs and both clubs started around 15 years ago and unlike the recently new clubs (Manor Lakes, SLakes, Tarneit, Wyndham Suns) they started with Juniors only and introduced Seniors about 5/6 years later. This put them in a better financial position and allowed them to give their juniors a pathway to the Seniors. Maybe something for any new club entering the completion to think about

Yep, has proven to be the "blueprint" for any new start up club.

New president at parks interesting has a history of getting rid of coaches maybe nick next stay tuned

I also wonder if the new president can keep his form going by winning a div 2 flag and leave another club (Parkside) in debt.

Ill do one, but im gonna exclude Point Cook as i have absolutely no idea what to expect.

North footscray
Yarraville
Manor lakes
Albanvale
Parkside
Newport
West footscray

And i mean no disrespect to anyone by placements and have watched very little div 2 games over past few years, so really have no idea

A good question to ask is how they can afford to 'throw the cash' around. Simple answer, good management going back to when they started. 2 of the bigger clubs in the league are Point Cook & Caroline Springs and both clubs started around 15 years ago and unlike the recently new clubs (Manor Lakes, SLakes, Tarneit, Wyndham Suns) they started with Juniors only and introduced Seniors about 5/6 years later. This put them in a better financial position and allowed them to give their juniors a pathway to the Seniors. Maybe something for any new club entering the competition to think about

Point Cook have been blessed. They haven't had a lot of competition in their area. Sanctuary Lakes came in late only to be based no where near Sanctuary Lakes. You look at the other side of the Freeway you have Hoppers Crossing, Werribee Districts and Centrals, Wyndhamvale, Manor Lakes, Tarneit, Glenorden and the Suns all competing for the same kids. Point Cook have been left alone and are now the largest Junior Club in the WRFL, the same goes with Caroline Springs, they don't have any competition for juniors and a massive catchment to get kids from.

The league was so intent to get 3 divisions, they had no concern about the sustainability of the clubs.

Point Cook have been blessed. They haven't had a lot of competition in their area. Sanctuary Lakes came in late only to be based no where near Sanctuary Lakes. You look at the other side of the Freeway you have Hoppers Crossing, Werribee Districts and Centrals, Wyndhamvale, Manor Lakes, Tarneit, Glenorden and the Suns all competing for the same kids. Point Cook have been left alone and are now the largest Junior Club in the WRFL, the same goes with Caroline Springs, they don't have any competition for juniors and a massive catchment to get kids from.

The league was so intent to get 3 divisions, they had no concern about the sustainability of the clubs.

I think you may have missed the point slightly. My point is that Point Cook & Caroline Springs waited 5/6 years before introducing Seniors, after their clubs had been established and had some fiancé behind them before they started paying players. The clubs mentioned before (Manor Lakes, SLakes, Tarneit, Wyndham Suns) went with Seniors the first year and had to find money to pay players and keep afloat and are now finding it difficult.

Ill do one, but im gonna exclude Point Cook as i have absolutely no idea what to expect.

North footscray
Yarraville
Manor lakes
Albanvale
Parkside
Newport
West footscray

And i mean no disrespect to anyone by placements and have watched very little div 2 games over past few years, so really have no idea
Point Cook unbackable favourites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you may have missed the point slightly. My point is that Point Cook & Caroline Springs waited 5/6 years before introducing Seniors, after their clubs had been established and had some fiancé behind them before they started paying players. The clubs mentioned before (Manor Lakes, SLakes, Tarneit, Wyndham Suns) went with Seniors the first year and had to find money to pay players and keep afloat and are now finding it difficult.

The league put so much pressure on the new clubs to field senior sides. From what I've heard the Suns carried over a fair chunk of money from Westbourne Grammer when they split. Agree Manor Lakes and Sanctuary lakes went hard early, Tarneit have had more a build into it model as the club has grown they look to have invested back into their seniors.

End off the day it all comes back to Juniors and Sponsorship. Point Cook and Caroline Springs have built really good junior programs once you do that cash comes into your club. Sanctuary Lakes and Tarneit are building Juniors nicely and you will see them both as strong Div 2 sides it might take 3-5 years but both are on the right path. That could change very quickly, as fast as you build juniors a couple of bad eggs in your club can kill it just as fast.

North footscray
Yarraville
Manor lakes
Albanvale
Parkside
Newport
West footscray

Point Cook definite favorites, recruited some very good players for this standard
Manor Lakes have apparently recruited well
North to be there abouts
Yarraville to stagnate, lost a few older types
Parkside will be OK
the rest making up the numbers IMO

1. Manor Lakes ( Have picked up some quality and will definetly improve on last year )
2. Yarraville ( Good side last year and have a lot of there u19s from last year coming up )
3. Point Cook ( I would say last season would have been a handy 3rd div side but have picked up quality )
4. North Footscray ( Probably lose 6 from premiership team but picked up some very handy players )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Parkside ( Lost a good midfielder and a gun full forward but also picked up some handy midfielders will be thereabouts )
6. Albanvale ( Have picked up a few could be a surprise )
7. Newport ( Picked up El Houli from Melton Sth and a few others will be better than last season
8. West Footscray ( Improved in the last few years and should also improve this year but not enough to catch the top teams )

1. Manor Lakes ( Have picked up some quality and will definetly improve on last year )
2. Yarraville ( Good side last year and have a lot of there u19s from last year coming up )
3. Point Cook ( I would say last season would have been a handy 3rd div side but have picked up quality )
4. North Footscray ( Probably lose 6 from premiership team but picked up some very handy players )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Parkside ( Lost a good midfielder and a gun full forward but also picked up some handy midfielders will be thereabouts )
6. Albanvale ( Have picked up a few could be a surprise )
7. Newport ( Picked up El Houli from Melton Sth and a few others will be better than last season
8. West Footscray ( Improved in the last few years and should also improve this year but not enough to catch the top teams )
I agree with Albanvale surprising a few, with how bad they are.
Newport, West and Pojnt Cook are the same. No hope
Who have Poknt Cook picked up apart from Skipper and Lampi. Pack of hacks and 2’s players
North Yarra and Manor are the only 3 sides in it.
Not counting Parkscum into the equation because they are nothing.

We'll find out next season, won't we? :)

Technically its WRFL div 2 vs VAFA div 6, and from my years watching one and umpiring the other, PC will slot in mid-table. Of course its a different style of footy and there will be some adjusting to do. Finals are not out of the question but personally I'd be surprised if they do it in their first year.

We'll find out next season, won't we? :)

Technically its WRFL div 2 vs VAFA div 6, and from my years watching one and umpiring the other, PC will slot in mid-table. Of course its a different style of footy and there will be some adjusting to do. Finals are not out of the question but personally I'd be surprised if they do it in their first year.

Fair call - will be interesting to see how they go.

It's been years since I've paid much attention to either league, in terms of style of footy how do you describe both?

On face value I am assuming WRFL is more contested?

Yes.

That, and the umpiring styles that affect the flow of the game. WRFL umps let a lot more go that would result in free kicks and downfields in VAFA, even at the D3 level.

I expect a few of the PC boys to be left standing with hands on hips wondering why they weren't paid a free, as the ball disappears down the wrong end... by the same token I expect them to show good fitness and still have a lot of run left in the last quarter.

Could be wrong, of course, often am...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back