WRFL Division 3 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therefore, you agree with Wickers18 & myself. If, as you are saying the growth in 2013 was probably OK, and in 2014 looked ordinary, then I would say that the growth in the game over the past 3 years has not been very good.

I agree with TT, the growth of the Indian population in Wyndham Council is not helping with the growth of AFL in the area.

The biggest issue this league has is the lack of numbers in U17/19s

Absolutely agree, the growth in the West is being driven by huge numbers of Indian, Chinese and other Asian people. Not saying its a bad thing but its not great for our game. At least numbers in footy are still growing. If they were going backwards I would be really concerned.

I catch a peak hour train to the CBD every day from Laverton and if you did you would see what I mean. Huge number of Indian / Chinese people from Laverton, Williams Landing and Hoppers.

The biggest issue this league has is the lack of numbers in U17/19s

Easily the biggest issue with sustainability for the future. Sadly many WRFL clubs have done very little to make clubs attractive to young kids. Parents want their kids to be safe and the images many WRFL clubs have are not good. Compare to a club like Aberfeldie (EDFL) that sets up leadership and mentor programs for teams as young as under 12’s and a pathway through to senior football and it’s no wonder they have 2-5 sides in every under-age division. The WRFL and many of not most clubs have failed to make massive cultural changes and the horse has all but bolted...

Most not taking into consideration the people moving into these areas. 2 out of 3 homes are from India, a non football (of any kind) playing culture.

The indian migration is not like the Europeans etc from times before. The indians that do take part in sport have created thier own cricket leagues to play all year round.

Good luck tapping into that market...

They dont even want to take part in established cricket leagues!
100% correct

In a way I think you are both right & wrong.
Wrong, in the fact that the clubs you mentioned above are from new estates and most of the kids playing for these teams, particularly lower age groups are new to the area, not coming from the established clubs.
However, when you consider above teams, and throw Point Cook into the mix who have grown by about 6 teams in last 3/4 years, then yes, you are correct in saying that the participation numbers overall at club level have not grown

The area is a merry go round with kids...In 2013 Manor Lakes and Glen Orden just about in every age group. Tarneit came in and both pretty much lost half there teams. With Wyndhamvale & Werribee Centrals within 5kms, i know kids that have played at 3 different teams in 3 years...Putting programs in place to keep them is the battle and in saying that, yes i think the growth is not much at all.

The area is a merry go round with kids...In 2013 Manor Lakes and Glen Orden just about in every age group. Tarneit came in and both pretty much lost half there teams. With Wyndhamvale & Werribee Centrals within 5kms, i know kids that have played at 3 different teams in 3 years...Putting programs in place to keep them is the battle and in saying that, yes i think the growth is not much at all.

The issue is all clubs are chasing the same kids. The growth hasn't been there so when little Jonny rocks up to U9 training in March and the team has 10 kids training he doesn't come back. Then he gets older has a year where his team struggles he packs his backs and heads down the road to another club.

Clubs aren't clubs anymore, you play for a side that wears the same jumper as other teams but that is about it

Just a couple of questions:

1- Are all clubs charging the same registration fees?? If not does this affect some families?

2- No one have mentioned Werribee Juniors.. Usually they influence the better juniors in the area as well. I recall the old days when the rep teams were stacked with 30-40% of kids from Werribee Juniors and 1/2 of these kids struggled against the best players. Is this still occurring??

I’m in favour of new “junior” clubs in developing areas “once” housing and schools are built. A lot of parents enjoy playing at a club close to home and where their child goes to school. However new senior clubs need to be accessed to avoid pillaging senior players from established clubs.. Yes plenty of kids but not sure on senior players, supporters and sponsors to operate senior clubs in surrounding areas..

Netball anyone, strange call by the WRFL, would have thought they have enough on their plate with a number of clubs struggling with Juniors, the massive push into Girls football. Div 3 clubs shouldn't even look at this, and most Div 2 clubs just drawing resources away from running your footy club and outside a couple of Div 2 clubs Point Cook, Newport and Yarraville all other Div 2/3 clubs need to focus on Footy.

I think they have got carried away with the country football "Upper Tallygaroopna Football and Netball Club" scenario.

Might be a tad more difficult than they imagined, with the suburbs being a different environment from a one-sporting-club town or district.

On the other hand there is a strong coterie of wives and girlfriends at any club who may want to be involved more than as mere spectators and helpers.

I think they have got carried away with the country football "Upper Tallygaroopna Football and Netball Club" scenario.

Might be a tad more difficult than they imagined, with the suburbs being a different environment from a one-sporting-club town or district.

On the other hand there is a strong coterie of wives and girlfriends at any club who may want to be involved more than as mere spectators and helpers.

The benefit to clubs is when you have 3 to 4 netball games at your oval whilst your seniors and reserves play. Clubs then increase canteen and bar revenue plus the social side will actually encourage more to hang around for a few hours after a match. Not many grounds in the WRFL have netball courts. To have this on a Friday night at a central location clubs have zero to gain but increase work load.

As mentioned so many clubs especially in the bottom divisions need to spend all their resources to get the Footy club right only 2 Div 3 clubs have more than 4 junior sides, and 3 Div 2 sides. Most have none or a couple only. Get that right and clubs will still be around in 10 years adding netball won't help clubs.

The benefit to clubs is when you have 3 to 4 netball games at your oval whilst your seniors and reserves play. Clubs then increase canteen and bar revenue plus the social side will actually encourage more to hang around for a few hours after a match. Not many grounds in the WRFL have netball courts. To have this on a Friday night at a central location clubs have zero to gain but increase work load.

As mentioned so many clubs especially in the bottom divisions need to spend all their resources to get the Footy club right only 2 Div 3 clubs have more than 4 junior sides, and 3 Div 2 sides. Most have none or a couple only. Get that right and clubs will still be around in 10 years adding netball won't help clubs.

Agree with posts above, this is metro football not regional. Clubs are struggling to get decent football facilities let alone have a facility that caters for both football & netball.
Each suburb has at least one netball club already, what impact will this have and how would that affect the relationship between local footy & netball clubs if the footy clubs start taking players from the local netball leagues.
The league should concentrate on growing girls/women's footy first before venturing into this area

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with posts above, this is metro football not regional. Clubs are struggling to get decent football facilities let alone have a facility that caters for both football & netball.
Each suburb has at least one netball club already, what impact will this have and how would that affect the relationship between local footy & netball clubs if the footy clubs start taking players from the local netball leagues.
The league should concentrate on growing girls/women's first before venturing into this area
Dead set agree. I thought it to be a strange call. As a league, we had to enter into an agreement with the EDFL for the past couple of years, just to have a viable competition for womens footy, we are going it alone this year, which will be a huge struggle for every club. I see a lot banging on about getting a side up, but I wonder how many actually will. I would have thought that the right avenue for footy clubs was to get their womens footy right from the girls to the top age first, before they even contemplated it. I know some clubs have toyed with netball a bit, like Werribee, but for the larger portion, I can't see this as a wise move. Sometimes, just because the NFL (sorry NFNL now) change their business model, doesn't mean the WRFL need to. Surely there are bigger ticket items, like your womens footy, U17's and U19's especially, lets get those right first. You can't be everything to everyone, or else risk losing relevance.

Netball anyone, strange call by the WRFL, would have thought they have enough on their plate with a number of clubs struggling with Juniors, the massive push into Girls football. Div 3 clubs shouldn't even look at this, and most Div 2 clubs just drawing resources away from running your footy club and outside a couple of Div 2 clubs Point Cook, Newport and Yarraville all other Div 2/3 clubs need to focus on Footy.

Interesting call, I'm all for ideas to attract more people to clubs but would also like to see the WRFL shift the balance of their focus back towards the mens and junior boys a bit. Think the focus has been skewed towards women's and girls footy (and now Netball) in the last 3 years or so.

Has been plenty of good news stories with Women's and girls footy recently, be nice to see some good men's / boys stories.

Don’t build the netball courts to close to the footy ovals otherwise they will hear all the foul mouth comments from supporters. They will leave in droves..

And I’m not just talking div3 but all divisions in this comp. Yes there might be a few clubs doing the right things but the majority of clubs have those supporters who get drunk and think they have the right to abuse umpires & opposition players.

Don’t build the netball courts to close to the footy ovals otherwise they will hear all the foul mouth comments from supporters. They will leave in droves..

And I’m not just talking div3 but all divisions in this comp. Yes there might be a few clubs doing the right things but the majority of clubs have those supporters who get drunk and think they have the right to abuse umpires & opposition players.

Don't they swear up the bush, Turbo?

... and THAT'S just the NETBALL!!!!

Seriously, my daughter went through a couple of years of netball, you reckon there's ferals in div3... try standing courtside for a few Saturday mornings. You'll need ear muffs and valium I reckon.

Yep, anyone think football has a bad ugly parent issue, drop into any Basketball or Netball stadium when the juniors are playing.

I was at a div 2 game last season, won't embarrass the clubs who were playing but two "ladies" were yelling obscenities in front of their children and other people it was like being in a really bad b grade movie and all they did was curse and yell and scream at anyone and everyone.
When the umps came off the ground at half time one of them asked if the umps wanted a hj if it gave their side some extra frees.
Classy

I was at a div 2 game last season, won't embarrass the clubs who were playing but two "ladies" were yelling obscenities in front of their children and other people it was like being in a really bad b grade movie and all they did was curse and yell and scream at anyone and everyone.
When the umps came off the ground at half time one of them asked if the umps wanted a hj if it gave their side some extra frees.
Classy
If I was umpiring i would have accepted.
Haha
Then umpired fairly of course.

If I was umpiring i would have accepted.
Haha
Then umpired fairly of course.

Nah, you wouldn't have even let your mate receive from her.

The whole situation was so toxic even their own club was shocked.
The club was trying to usher them away and hide them it was so bad it was almost funny.
If I was at a club and people were acting like that I'd ask them to hold it down and if it continued I'd leave.
You don't need that at a family club

Classy

Cant believe they cant get enough umpires, getting a free blowie at half time, might be a bit tired in the 3rd quarter, now that's a fringe benefit, LOL

People are forgetting that having a netball team aligned with a footy club will also help get kids playing whose mum plays netball. They are going to be more inclined to sign their son/daughter up for footy if they are the 'same' club as their netball club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back