WRFL Division 3 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, only 5 Under 19 sides in 2018, Hoppers, Districts, Altona, Point Cook and Caroline Springs with Spotswood and Newport withdrawing sides during the season. The point with the Suns though they had a full book of Juniors 3-4 years ago after the split from Westbourne and they struggled last season to field U9s and 10s basically giving away memberships to field sides.

I'm a firm believer that Div 3 should be a single team competition and more about social Football. It will get there at some stage as the player pool and available cash is gets smaller each year

Garbage idea

It will mean those teams are stuck in div 3 forever with no ability to get out due to money and player depth

It means any decent juniors they have will have zero chance of staying and help improve the club.

Teams might be struggling but most still get teams up and that’s better than admitting defeat and giving up

Garbage idea

It will mean those teams are stuck in div 3 forever with no ability to get out due to money and player depth

It means any decent juniors they have will have zero chance of staying and help improve the club.

Teams might be struggling but most still get teams up and that’s better than admitting defeat and giving up

I think you are looking at football as it was 10 to 15 years ago when juniors progressed to seniors played for the one club and actually wanted to play seniors at the club they played at.

Look at the WRFL, the facts are only about 8 WRFL senior clubs would have 8+ junior boys sides, 5 have U19s, the drop off rates amongst boys after U12s is around 40% and that number increases with each age group above U12s.

The pressure on clubs to find 50 players each year to field 2 sides is massive. Hoppers Crossing last year had to do a massive drive to get Reserves players last Feb/Mar.

As this generation of senior footballers get older and retire there isn't the players coming through the system.

Clubs will find there place, it could be a 10 team div 1 and 2 and 6 team div 3 single team.

I think you are looking at football as it was 10 to 15 years ago when juniors progressed to seniors played for the one club and actually wanted to play seniors at the club they played at.

Look at the WRFL, the facts are only about 8 WRFL senior clubs would have 8+ junior boys sides, 5 have U19s, the drop off rates amongst boys after U12s is around 40% and that number increases with each age group above U12s.

The pressure on clubs to find 50 players each year to field 2 sides is massive. Hoppers Crossing last year had to do a massive drive to get Reserves players last Feb/Mar.

As this generation of senior footballers get older and retire there isn't the players coming through the system.

Clubs will find there place, it could be a 10 team div 1 and 2 and 6 team div 3 single team.

Rubbish it’s the way clubs and society are treating football and sports in general

The western suburbs is one on the fastest population growth areas in Australia yet numbers are dropping

It should much easy to field two teams and some teams that target this area have proved it.

Tarneit have great numbers, the suns had 3 teams the first year. Hoppers are flying. Centrals always have great numbers.

As a society (not just clubs) we have to get kids off their a$$es and off the technology and out playing sports.

The girls footy proves it, look at how the AFL, community and clubs are targeting these girls and what happens?! Numbers increase.

Tell me the last time the AFL had a promotion directed to young men and playing footy? No more than 10 seconds ago I heard an ad on SEN asking young girls to come have a kick.

You have accepted defeat with this attitude and that’s the problem

Last edited:

Rubbish it’s the way clubs and society are treating football and sports in general

The western suburbs is one on the fastest population growth areas in Australia yet numbers are dropping

It should much easy to field two teams and some teams that target yhishave proved it.

Transit have great numbers, the suns had 3 teams the first year.

As a society (not just clubs) we have to get kids off their a$$es and off the technology and out playing sports.

The girls footy proves it, look at how the AFL, community and clubs are targeting these girls and what happens?! Numbers increase.

Tell me the last time the AFL had a promotion directed to young men and playing footy? No more than 10 seconds ago I heard an ad on SEN asking young girls to come have a kick.

Don't disagree with anything you are saying, the AFL is about Auskick and female participation numbers. They have neglected to promote Junior football and in fact markets directly against with Auskick till U12 level. When you have the National Governing body having this attitude what chance does you Volunteer at club level have

What happens in Tarneit with the A league team being based there, most people moving to the suburb are from non AFL backgrounds, the A league will do a massive marketing campaign, the AFL will just lobby for more ovals and leave it to local clubs to battle them.

You are also looking at outer west clubs, the inner west has zero population growth. It will come down in 5-10 years time some clubs will only survive if they are able to field a single team. If that is what it takes to ensure some clubs with a long history to survive I think it is a good idea.

It should much easy to field two teams and some teams that target yhishave proved it.

Transit have great numbers, the suns had 3 teams the first year.

Bit of gloom and doom here MD, but the facts don't support that theory.

In 2017, from U19 down to U8, the WRFL had 194 boys teams and in 2018 they had 204, an increase of 10 and that's even after accounting for a loss of 5 teams in the U19 grade. That growth is in the U8 - U12 age group, higher grades were static and the U19s remain a problem.

The WRFL has not seen a senior club permanently close its doors for over 10 years when Gladstone Park closed (think Central Altona and Brunswick were around that time too, I might be a year or two out there). In that time 6 new clubs have started up - Manor Lakes, Point Cook Centrals, Tarneit, Wyndham Suns, Caroline Springs and Newport, whilst Point Cook and Werribee have also joined. Truganina will shortly be the 7th new club.

For the long time I have been in local footy, there has always been clubs who have struggled in $ terms and / or with player numbers and nothing has changed in that regard.

I think the WRFL has assisted clubs to run their affairs better and we (as a whole, not just the WRFL) have got better at improving clubs' sustainability. Womens and girls footy I see as a bonus and already some of the struggling men's clubs are seeing benefits - Laverton is an example.

Massive challenges coming though, the A-League invasion, the U19 / 18.5 grade, player payments, volunteers etc. but when has there never been challenges?

I don't think it is as gloomy as we make out.

In 2017, from U19 down to U8, the WRFL had 194 boys teams and in 2018 they had 204, an increase of 10 and that's even after accounting for a loss of 5 teams in the U19 grade. That growth is in the U8 - U12 age group, higher grades were static and the U19s remain a problem.

The WRFL has not seen a senior club permanently close its doors for over 10 years when Gladstone Park closed (think Central Altona and Brunswick were around that time too, I might be a year or two out there). In that time 6 new clubs have started up - Manor Lakes, Point Cook Centrals, Tarneit, Wyndham Suns, Caroline Springs and Newport, whilst Point Cook and Werribee have also joined. Truganina will shortly be the 7th new club.

For the long time I have been in local footy, there has always been clubs who have struggled in $ terms and / or with player numbers and nothing has changed in that regard.

I think the WRFL has assisted clubs to run their affairs better and we (as a whole, not just the WRFL) have got better at improving clubs' sustainability. Womens and girls footy I see as a bonus and already some of the struggling men's clubs are seeing benefits - Laverton is an example.

Massive challenges coming though, the A-League invasion, the U19 / 18.5 grade, player payments, volunteers etc. but when has there never been challenges?

The Wrfl has assisted who? When? How?

Sorry mate I don’t think I’ve heard a singular more incorrect sentence in years.

Auskick and the flow on just after that ist the problem, it’s 14-19 year old boys that are dropping off like goes and tell me one thing the league has done to attempt to rectify that? In fact tell me one thing the AFL or VFL have done?

Nothing they just assume that boys will kee playing footy, if they had spent have the time and money on them as they have girls we may not have such a decrease

By the WRFL Annual Reports, there were 177 Junior Teams in 2015 & 226 in 2018. An increase of 49. Figures look OK until you delve a little deeper. 7 girls teams in 2015, 35 in 2018, difference 28. No U8 in 2015, 9 in 2018 (bearing in mind they only have about 10/12 kids a side). Point Cook had 13 juniors in 2015, 21 in 2018. So based on this, excluding Point Cook & U8's, there was only an increase of 4 junior boys team from all other clubs in 4 years.

By the WRFL Annual Reports, there were 177 Junior Teams in 2015 & 226 in 2018. An increase of 49. Figures look OK until you delve a little deeper. 7 girls teams in 2015, 35 in 2018, difference 28. No U8 in 2015, 9 in 2018 (bearing in mind they only have about 10/12 kids a side). Point Cook had 13 juniors in 2015, 21 in 2018. So based on this, excluding Point Cook & U8's, there was only an increase of 4 junior boys team from all other clubs in 4 years.
There's not much use atm of targeting the kids in that 16-19 bracket though. That's why they have increased the lower numbers to keep the flow of them through the later age groups in the years to come. 16-19 age bracket is one of the hardest to target specifically when they are starting to worry more about partying & work than playing footy.

I can't see many campaigns working to target that age group to play footy, I think more has to be done in those lower levels for retention themselves.

I hate to raise the E word, but you have to look at how the ethnic makeup of the far western suburbs and new estates has changed in the last 15-20 years. Go down to Goddard St any afternoon, even in winter, if it isn't pissing with rain the cricket nets will be in full swing and you'll see a lot of kids and teenagers there who aren't playing for the Suns. Hoppers Crossing Soccer Club has exploded in the last few years, and trust me it costs a lot more to get a kid playing soccer than it does junior footy. I've pitched the idea of promoting juniors as the sport to keep cricketers fit and healthy over the off season and widen their circle of friends, it needs someone a lot more persuasive than me to break through their utter lack of interest.

Auskick extending out to 12 (maybe its always been 12, they just haven't pushed it before now) is another factor. A long time ago Westbourne used to regularly have drills and kick-to-kicks and matches with Sayers Rd Auskick. There were a handful of older Auskick kids but the majority couldn't wait until they were old enough to "move up" and pull on an U9s or U10s Westbourne jumper, including my boys. I think a lot of it comes down to who is running the individual Auskick group as to how closely (or otherwise!) it is associated with a club junior program.

What sort of standard is the div 3/ressies? Is it better then VAFA clubbies? I am 5 years out of the game but looking to have a run around in a lower level

Depends on the clubbies side and how seriously they took it. Div3R would probably be evenly matched against most clubbies, Xavs would towel up most div3 seniors. Club XVIII is traditionally a lot more social-oriented but so much depends on the club, wherever you are it is what the members make it. What neck of the woods are you in?

What sort of standard is the div 3/ressies? Is it better then VAFA clubbies? I am 5 years out of the game but looking to have a run around in a lower level
Our reserves side would beat some of the lower senior sides next season. Overall the div 3 reserves is rubbish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our reserves side would beat some of the lower senior sides next season. Overall the div 3 reserves is rubbish
You blokes at Robert Bruce reserve need to remove your heads out your arse’s. Your club are the classic flat track bully’s.

Depends on the clubbies side and how seriously they took it. Div3R would probably be evenly matched against most clubbies, Xavs would towel up most div3 seniors. Club XVIII is traditionally a lot more social-oriented but so much depends on the club, wherever you are it is what the members make it. What neck of the woods are you in?

I’m in ascot vale. Got some mates at north Brunswick but sounds like they are well over stacked with numbers

Terrible form I agree. We going to have a red hot crack mate and try get this club in a good place on and off the field.. few plans and goals in place and everyone is on board..
Just stating the facts leb. It’s the best pre season we have had in years, great recruits and the best coach we have had for as long as I can remember.

Div 3 makes it so easy for players to get motivated that made every excuse they could in div 2. Let’s see how many turn up for the team that gets promoted.

You are Definitely not from the club then, I’m a running machine this year mate 12kg lighter and fit as a fiddle 😉

Ps: only my mates call me leb so I suggested u stick to Karim 😉
Shouldn’t you be in bed? Or no early f45 session tomorrow? 🤗 “leb”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back