Wrighty's Trading Smarts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea exactly. Tom Stewart was a big win though!

Our biggest failing isn't that we haven't been able to draft a gun KPF. They're extremely rare unless you consistently finish bottom 4 for years and even then there's no guarantees (look at Melbourne, GWS, Essendon, North)

Our biggest failing is never landing that big marquee forward via trade despite being linked to many over the years (Brown, Riewoldt, Lynch, Cameron etc.). Also despite being the biggest club and always competitive unlike Ess/Carlton.

Unless GW can do that, he'll just be another list manager that has failed to do that for us over the years. We've always been able to do astute trades for needs (Howe, Greenwood, Varcoe, WHE, Crisp, Dunn, Roughead etc) so he's providing nothing special there.
+ J Henry. Without those two his draft record over about a 15 draft period would be pretty mediocre. IMO, it’s been their pro scouting which has kept them going. There’s a lot of gold between Danger, Cameron, Rohan, Smith and Touhy.

FWIW you can probably tell I’m not big on their list currently. If they’ve lost their edge at Skilled they’re in for a dip.

How many First round picks have we had in the past decade?
Well I can think of four misses for a start.Stephenson and Henry who are no longer at the club,and Scharanberg and Freeman,who never made the grade.So that certainly doesn’t help the club when you keep making mistakes like that.

Freman was a horrible pick, his injury did not affect his career, was never going to make it at AFL level.

Hine is overrated, apart from his early years, which none can complain he did amazingly, has declined since and now only seems to be able to pick work horse type of players, which you have mentioned.
Freeman was probably never going to justify a top 10 pick but he had enough pace to make it in an AFL pre hamstring injury.

I think Scharenberg was the worse pick.

I thought it was great to hear Fly in the presser saying how good of a job that Wrighty has done with respect to trades.

Last night 2 players traded for last year kicked over 50% of the score.

How great it is to see someone competent looking after the list.

Imagine what he can get done when we have finished paying off the Treloar and Grundy commitments.
I think we paid fair value for each of those players brought in. Over time Hill has prospects to exceed his trade value, but so will Henry at Geelong. If you get a player for what he’s worth then I think that’s just standard. Hine will have fed into talent identification, a heap of people would have been involved in determining need as well.

Wright is much better than Hine at the negotiating table.

Freeman was probably never going to justify a top 10 pick but he had enough pace to make it in an AFL pre hamstring injury.

I think Scharenberg was the worse pick.
Bit rough there. His knees robbed him of all his explosiveness and he at least had the smarts unlike Freeman. In the 1st Rd I’d personally prefer a guy that has an average athletic profile, but plenty of football traits over the athlete with none of the football traits.

Bit rough there. His knees robbed him of all his explosiveness and he at least had the smarts unlike Freeman. In the 1st Rd I’d personally prefer a guy that has an average athletic profile, but plenty of football traits over the athlete with none of the football traits.
Perhaps I’m harsh, but I think we took an awful risk on a third tall defender that was mostly on “promise” and “potential” to play another position with little exposed from because of his foot injury. We ended up getting a third tall defender in Langdon late in the draft as well so it’s not exactly like we needed to pay up for this type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back