Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
hate the game...

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Would give up first born for these.

image.jpg
image.jpg

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
have wanted to buy a decent watch for a while. as i posted previously i wanted a no date rolex sub; however it'd be a huge faux pas to wear to work and i want something i can wear everyday.

never really considered seiko before but i really like this watch, the black seiko sumo. anyone got any thoughts on it? think it's a similar aesthetic to the sub without being seen as a rolex ripoff. also pretty reasonably priced around $500-600.

20121130_0360.JPG

Sumo is a classic look. If you're looking for a decent entry cost sub, it's definitely the way to go. Nice mechanics without being anything special.

The real reason I love the seiko's though is that they're fully customisable with plenty of alternatively made parts to make whatever you want.

Some examples...

MonsterDick_1.JPG

FFF1-001.JPG

TudorBB.JPG

SnowMonster-015.JPG

8RqcLc3.jpg

SNKF0x.jpg

These are all assorted mods from a core of 3-6 different seiko standards with parts sourced from various independent sellers

Love the intricate detail in the Moritz' dials. Hate the bands.

moritz-grossmann-benu-tourbillon-dial.jpg

I like this

casual enough to go with jeans but fits quite nicely in the board room

The same reason I chose IWC yatch club

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
have wanted to buy a decent watch for a while. as i posted previously i wanted a no date rolex sub; however it'd be a huge faux pas to wear to work and i want something i can wear everyday.

never really considered seiko before but i really like this watch, the black seiko sumo. anyone got any thoughts on it? think it's a similar aesthetic to the sub without being seen as a rolex ripoff. also pretty reasonably priced around $500-600.

20121130_0360.JPG

Why is it a huge faux pas?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
good call kfc1

I've decided I want to learn to make a watch

I have done a bit of googling on the idea and think it may be feasible but am not overly sure.

Will it be prohibitively expensive? I don't want to need to buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment just to make a handful of watches for family and friends. I expect there will be some sort of equipment to buy but I'd like to keep it to under $500, plus then the cost of parts, and then obviously the time required to learn and build one... Am I going to go through loads of parts (and $$) before I successfully make my first watch. I have no idea whether $500 is even in the ball park of what I'm going to need.

I have good motor skills and hand eye co-ordination, but thanks to years of tearing up the weekend I don't have the steadiest of hands. This might be an issue.

good call kfc1

I've decided I want to learn to make a watch

I have done a bit of googling on the idea and think it may be feasible but am not overly sure.

Will it be prohibitively expensive? I don't want to need to buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment just to make a handful of watches for family and friends. I expect there will be some sort of equipment to buy but I'd like to keep it to under $500, plus then the cost of parts, and then obviously the time required to learn and build one... Am I going to go through loads of parts (and $$) before I successfully make my first watch. I have no idea whether $500 is even in the ball park of what I'm going to need.

I have good motor skills and hand eye co-ordination, but thanks to years of tearing up the weekend I don't have the steadiest of hands. This might be an issue.
Interesting since the seiko discussion on this page.

Yobokies has a tonne of the mod parts for a base seiko movement. I assume that's what you're talking about, adopting a core movements piece and building around it?

You don't need a substantially large foundation of equipment for that type of thing. wouldn't touch the movement itself myself. That requires quite a bit more from an equipment perspective because it's a very controlled process, where chances are if somethings gone wrong, you won't actually know.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Sweet. I'll check it out. Travelling in the UK at the moment so not gonna do anything for the time being, but hopefully some time in the Australian summer I'll advance this.

i work in a (relatively) junior role in professional services where clients are paying time-based fees.

to be in a meeting with a paying client wearing a $9-10k watch isn't a good look.

also not a good look in front of your own boss.

yep, it can look to flashy and pretend to be something your not

watches should be less than 2% of annual income unless you have everything in life you need already

After seeing that one in the post you're replying to, I asked my wife to buy me one for Christmas, it's gorgeous.

I can dream. One day.

I found Singapore the cheapest

good luck

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
How do people feel about the apple watch? Oh one hand I had a Garmin vivosmart that gave me smart notifications and I loved it - so I think I'd enjoy the apple watch.

On the other hand I have a regular watch which needs everyday wear for the battery. It's also redundant to not wear a smartwatch everyday with reminders and whatnot.

So I kind of feel like I can never have a smartwatch haha. Apple should look into making like a smartband. Something that enables both to be worn simultaneously. Or maybe I'll get the apple watch and face the screen on my wrist so it looks like a band, Anyone else interested by the concept of the apple watch but annoyed they can't get it? Or have both and have made it work?

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
How do people feel about the apple watch? Oh one hand I had a Garmin vivosmart that gave me smart notifications and I loved it - so I think I'd enjoy the apple watch.

On the other hand I have a regular watch which needs everyday wear for the battery. It's also redundant to not wear a smartwatch everyday with reminders and whatnot.

So I kind of feel like I can never have a smartwatch haha. Apple should look into making like a smartband. Something that enables both to be worn simultaneously. Or maybe I'll get the apple watch and face the screen on my wrist so it looks like a band, Anyone else interested by the concept of the apple watch but annoyed they can't get it? Or have both and have made it work?

I got given one last weekend and other than the "new toy factor" I have hardly seen it as a distraction in regards to notifications and the like. Just like the iPhone you can set up notifications as you like via the app on the iPhone which controls the watch, so you can either mirror your phone or set your watch up for notifications differently, so you receive the info on your watch that you want. The downside to it is that the fitness tracking is convoluted and in many parts (their main one tracks active calories, exercise and 1min standing per hour, with total steps hidden away).

Personally I would wait until the next OS for the watch comes before making a better comment as its slow opening apps and small things that make you want a real watch and maybe the next generation of the watch before suggesting to buy it. Its certainly a watch you want to see in action first

on par with a digital watch

Juddism

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Claremont Football Club
sorry but Rolex Dayton is ugly...I just don't get the obsession with Rolex. I bought a new watch last week and hoping it will arrive soon! :) make most of what's posted here seem basic. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back