Beauty & Style Wrist Watch lovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said, Caesar.

Anything that's got a tourbillon is gonna be mega expensive (like $40k+).

It was originally designed (by Breguet, a few hundred years ago) as a method of counter-acting gravity's effect on the mechanical watch in order to make a more accurate watch.

These days it's just to show off how awesome these little machines are. Tourbillons are coooool.

Amongst other things, the winding mechanism is platinum. The endstone is a diamond. The winding mechanism is so finely tuned that it doesn't use oil - oil would actually create friction. It is a tourbillon - one of the most complex pieces of mechanical watchmaking ever invented, designed to negate gravity and enhance escapement.

complex aye.... interesting.

Can anyone recommend a decent running watch?

Looking at getting one, have been running solidly for about a year now (everday-1 day off on weekend) so looking at taking that next step and ensuring I am improving, plus it should give me something to aim for. Will give me a decent guide when/when not to enter a fun runs, which I am planning on entering soon.

I tend to find yachting watches to provide the best timekeeping functions. I use mine for sailing, refereeing soccer and jogging.

Haven't looked into running-specific watches though.

It's arrived! Excalibur is here!

Big shout-out to Michael and Teddy at Monard's in Collins St who looked after me very well.

Omega Aqua Terra 41.5mm
Steel on steel
Grey teak dial
In-house 8500 coaxial movement

It's awesommmmmmmmmmmmmme. I'd post photos, but alas my point and shoot camera is not awesome. DSLR is next. Also, this watch looks so much better in person than in photos. It looks a bit plain and uninteresting in photos, but the way the light plays on the dial, hour markers, hands, Omega-sign and case is exhilarating in the metal.

(OK, I'm excited... sue me).

nixon-the-banks-mens-watch-blue-dual-display-rrp-08688.jpg

Had this one for a couple of years now. I get many comments about it. I bought it from a store at DFO in Moorabbin for $150, RRP was $499.95

However, I'm starting to think of purchasing something more professional, something chunky and silver but don't want to spend thousands!

Go vintage. You can pick up some nice old, quality watches for anything from a few hundred up to a grand. They're beautiful - understated, individualistic, great quality, and often very good brands.

Go vintage. You can pick up some nice old, quality watches for anything from a few hundred up to a grand. They're beautiful - understated, individualistic, great quality, and often very good brands.

Only drawback is most vintage pieces are not "chunky". But you can get some super-chic Mad Men style gentlemen's watches from some of the big brands, and they're really nice.

I went watch shopping and couldnt decide between two - both Armani watches. One was $379 and the other was $350.

I tried both on and couldnt decide and the woman was really pushy... but then said 'I can do a deal if you take both - say, $500.' That, folks, is a saving over over $200!

I snapped it up and walked out laughing - When the pushy bitch smuggly told her manager she did a deal but then told the price, the managers face lost all colour.

Win for me.

Is Stuhrling a reputable marque/worth the money? Endless is having a sale and I've always wanted a skeleton watch, and there's a few there that I think look OK (apart from excessive scroll engravings on the movement) for pretty good prices (certainly far cheaper than other mechanical watches I have seen.)

Stuhrling started out making quartz replicas of luxury watches, before later moving into full-blown mechanicals with more of their own distinctive design. They used to be somewhat notorious for their reliability issues, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. You would have expected them to get better the longer that they've been making them. Maybe look up a couple of reviews on the web for the model you're considering buying, and see what the feedback is like.

I have heard that their customer service is excellent. The value is probably pretty good on them as well, since they are not typically regarded as a 'classic' marque. Watches are one of those areas where you pay a lot for the snob factor.

No love for Skagen here ?

I have two of them a silver band with blue face similiar to the one is this link but without the extra dials. And silver not t he darker titanium grey

http://www.skagen.com.au/ultraslim-titanium/

And also an all black number that looks a bit like this\ top row third line across:

http://www.skagen.com.au/collections/black-label/architect/

Qantas have them at about $250 AUD in their duty free brochure.

Love the slim lines of Skagen.

I had one with a black leather strap from about 15 years - wore through three straps in that time.

Companies like Skagen and Stuhrling don't get a lot of recognition for their mechanical watches, mostly because (a) they're fairly new to industry and (b) they manufacture their stuff in China to keep costs down. Watch snobs like their marques to have long histories and be assembled in Europe or Japan.

That said, I reckon if you want a good day-to-day watch then you can't go past some of those cheaper mechanicals. As long as you pick a reputable brand (and both those are reputable) then you're probably getting pretty good value. Stuhrling are not really my thing personally, but some of Skagen's watches have beautiful aesthetics. More than once I've toyed with the idea of lashing out on one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I LOVE watches and own far too many of them! The favorite in my collection is a Balmain watch I bought when I was in Lucerne two years ago. I think the 1 carat of diamonds was what sealed the deal.

My old Omega Art, circa late eighties. They're supposedly rare now due to the limited number made, yet they were advertised at half price when I bought mine. Maybe not that many people in Perth appreciated it's minimalist styling back then. Apart from a battery change and a couple of straps, it's never missed a beat, which is more than I can say for the very expensive Chanel watch I got my ex! A love of minimalism wasn't what I had in mind when I started supporting Fremantle FC though, as apt as it may seem.

IMG_0161-1-1.jpg
IMG_0162-1-1.jpg
chanel-h0009-10145-9.jpg

My old Omega Art, circa late eighties. They're supposedly rare now due to the limited number made, yet they were advertised at half price when I bought mine. Maybe not that many people in Perth appreciated it's minimalist styling back then. Apart from a battery change and a couple of straps, it's never missed a beat, which is more than I can say for the very expensive Chanel watch I got my ex! A love of minimalism wasn't what I had in mind when I started supporting Fremantle FC though, as apt as it may seem.

IMG_0161-1-1.jpg
IMG_0162-1-1.jpg
chanel-h0009-10145-9.jpg

Wow these are very unusual- I have never seen them before

This is the next model I'm looking at. Have tried it on and it feels great as wel as looking the goods. Just gotta save the $$$.

2710stc20001_big1.jpg

Hardly the watch of a connoisseur but i'm thinking of buying this at ~$400. Apparently runs on light.

1281104101.http

[youtube]NyY9NWy4od4[/youtube]

Interested if anyone has any experience with the eco-drive movements as well as thoughts on the aesthetics.

Hardly the watch of a connoisseur but i'm thinking of buying this at ~$400. Apparently runs on light.

1281104101.http

[youtube]NyY9NWy4od4[/youtube]

Interested if anyone has any experience with the eco-drive movements as well as thoughts on the aesthetics.

You can't go wrong with the eco-drive. It will go for years and years. Stealth style is very fashionable right now. I would say go for it if its what you like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back