Mod. Notice Write for The BigFooty News

Completely agree. I'd advise any budding journalist to have a serious look at this. If you're not willing to put in the hard labour, then you're not going to get very far. It's a great initiative:thumbsu:

Exactly the reason I'm putting my hand up. Already did internships at The Leader and Herald Sun, will do another next year for uni, so the more pieces of work you have, the more you can show off :thumbsu:

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
For those thinking of getting into the business, this is the perfect avenue. Your content will be going out to BigFooty's 110,000+ members; usually your first writing job is something very low key. This is an opportunity to make a name for yourself early in your writing career.

Get involved. :thumbsu:

I already have made a name for myself.
I responsible for a large amount of the activity on BF yet all the thanks I get is threatened with banishment.

Slave labour, awesome :thumbsu:

Fellas - if you're not interested that's fine. But there's little point in petty sniping. That's all I'll say on the matter as I'd prefer to focus on the many people who have taken a positive interest.

The project is going ahead and the response has been above expectations so far :thumbsu:

I have a hard enough time wading through all the crap that's written on BF just to find something interesting to read.

You'll be happy to know we'll be highlighting good threads as well. There is so much great information and discussion on BigFooty that can be missed so a bit of sifting will be useful to many people.

For instance I've been thanked by more than one person for the lists of threads from each team board in the recent newsletter.

Have to say I'm impressed with the response so far.

Now, I'll bump this thread daily to keep it high for people who haven't yet seen it and might be interested.

I'd also be keen to know what people who aren't taking part would like to see in said BFN? Especially stuff that happens on BF but doesn't get much run in the mainstream press.

For example, we're keen to do DT/SC well beyond what the papers and AFL offer.

What kind of SC/DT coverage would you like to see?

liam_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is it possible to not make the commitment to write, but we are able to contribute if we happen to get an interview with a player at training, or have something good to say?
Like send in a draft, and then let the writers fix it up?

SC/DT you could do a massive preseason guide. Best five buys, those to watch, etc etc.

This is a good idea and one that has been kicked around for a few years now - send in as many suggestions for sections as you can.

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Team of the week would be a good addition.

Never really see a team of the week in the paper as it is pretty subjective. But a dedicated team of the week man/team could see a good addition to the News.

Not a fan of writing big pieces so I'll shotgun something like team of the week if it is included in the newsletter.

Send in an email - if you can commit to a strict weekly schedule you'll be seriously considered.

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Are you familiar with the work of the Ghost:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20485000#post20485000

You won't see that in the Hun. :D

Yep, that's the good stuff. The sort of writing that makes the 'trip' to BF a fun experience.

There's heaps of posters on BF who write in a similar way. And don't get me wrong..I'm sure you're going to look for contributors for the BF news who have that extra 'flair' about their writing.

I just hope you don't fill it with 'fanboy' sort of stuff. People who like to use phrases such as 'serious man crush' and the like..if you know what I mean.

I'm sure you'll agree that BF 4 or 5 years ago was a different place to now when it came to 'content'. People were more concerned about bagging other people's spelling than actually posting something interesting or thought provoking.

The evolution of BF has come to the point where we have dozens of top class writers on every board who post some really good football related reading. And boards like the GD board, music, NFL, cricket, dreamteam/sc.. etc have lots of contributors who really know their subject.

After a few years of BF involvement you start getting tired of the same old stuff dished up, and posters like myself tend to look around for the better writing efforts.

But as you know all mixed in with this is all the fruitloops who continue to post crap that gets decent threads off the beaten track.

I know you can't police every single post and you can't ban every nutter (I've had my fair share of red card nutter moments btw) but it would be fantastic if you could use this BF news as a way to promote quality writing..or at least some highly amusing/witty style of writing.

I look forward to the first issue.:thumbsu:

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
What have you contributed thats worth reading?

I don't know...maybe my Mark Sanchez thread.

It's worth reading if you're a Jets fan...

This would probably be my best effort though:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756809

But seriously..I've contributed 5500 posts and every one of them are pretty much worthless.

But thats the way the cookie crumbles I suppose.:)

Is it possible to not make the commitment to write, but we are able to contribute if we happen to get an interview with a player at training, or have something good to say?
Like send in a draft, and then let the writers fix it up?

Yep. We can be flexible and we realise people have various work/study/family commitments. The main thing is if you are interested and you say you can do something, even if it is only one thing for the whole season, you do produce, if you know what I mean. That's what we mean by commitment. We don't expect people to be signing their lives over.

Your best bet is drop a line to the bigfootynews@gmail.com with your contact details and spelling out how much or little you'd like to take part, similar to above.

best,

BFN

Not a fan of writing big pieces so I'll shotgun something like team of the week if it is included in the newsletter.

By all means drop us an email. I can't guarantee you'll be able to do team of the week simply as things are still so early in the piece I'm not sure we'll definitely have one, though I reckon it is pretty likely.

That said, we'll want our team of the week to be different from what the other outlets do: it might be judged on different criteria every week, it might be "crowd sourced" via BF itself.

Send us your details and specify that's what you're interested in and we'll take it from there.

BFN

PunchFromBhind

Debutant
Aug 4, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, Calgary Flames, Oregon Ducks
Just sent off an email.
This is a great idea, i am entering a journalism course next year and this is a great way to start. this will be a great experience and even stepping stone for some of us aspiring journalists. Much appreciated

Back