2nds WSU Giants NEAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Fixture is out for the season
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/footbal...r&utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=NEAFLFixture

No changes to the structure with 4 games v the other AFL reserves teams and then one v the other 6, 7 games at the Showgrounds with all of them as curtain raisers and then byes in reds 6, 12 and 19

With a good injury run hopefully the club can secure a place in the finals after 2 years (?) not qualifying, the club really needs to ensure more continuity with the playing group in order to achieve this and hopefully several of the consistent performers from this years academy squad stick around as overagers and can provide that option. Also if this years draftees can have good pre seasons some of them should be able to impact immediately imo

Although only 2 extra list spots were given to the Suns that combined with the adding of experienced depth players I can see them having a good season but again most teams with a good injury run will have claims to be in the finals

At this stage I can see the mainstays of the NEAFL team being Stein/Keefe/Shipley/Sproule and J + D Buckley then Hill/Idun and Brown from this years draftees and the rest I think will be chances for runs of games in the AFL

Last edited:
Although only 2 extra list spots were given to the Suns that combined with the adding of experienced depth players I can see them having a good season but again most teams with a good injury run will have claims to be in the finals

GCS doesn't have any extra list spots - they just got to prelist three mature age players who took normal senior list spots.

A couple of practice matches for the neafl squad, first is Thursday 7 march in Canberra and AFL play the next night in Canberra V the Crows so i would think the team is split in 2 with a few top ups having a run as well. The next 2 are the 24th (Sydney uni) and 30th (Swans) which are the weekends of rds 1 and 2 of the AFL

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Twitter is normally pretty good for the NEAFL scores and maybe the website will have a report tomorrow or the club might put something out but I think it depends on who is at the game in terms of media staff
I would be interested to see who played as with 26 in tomorrows squad and I think 8 missing from tomorrows game I would have
Stein, Buckley, Buckley, Shipley Sproule, Idun, Briggs and Mumford
And then possible due to being unsighted in a game situation Sheridan, Xavier, Hill
Brown could have played but maybe they will play him in the academy games after the article during the week about the club asking for dispensation
So it would have been an opportunity for the top ups to play and hopefully the 5 or 6 overagers had a run

Twitter is normally pretty good for the NEAFL scores and maybe the website will have a report tomorrow or the club might put something out but I think it depends on who is at the game in terms of media staff
I would be interested to see who played as with 26 in tomorrows squad and I think 8 missing from tomorrows game I would have
Stein, Buckley, Buckley, Shipley Sproule, Idun, Briggs and Mumford
And then possible due to being unsighted in a game situation Sheridan, Xavier, Hill
Brown could have played but maybe they will play him in the academy games after the article during the week about the club asking for dispensation
So it would have been an opportunity for the top ups to play and hopefully the 5 or 6 overagers had a run

Didn't I read somewhere we were asking to play Hill and O'halloran in the TAC cup?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NEAFL Practice Match at Gungahlin Oval

CANBERRA 1.0 4.0 9.3 10.4 (64)
GIANTS 3.1 6.1 7.4 8.6 (54)

GOALS – Canberra: R Pollock 2 C Owen-Auburn L Meline M Hambleton T Faul K Evans A Bruce M Maguire T Highmore. GIANTS: Z Spoule 5 S Driscoll K Briggs.

That scorecard is a who's who of GWS academy graduates!

Last edited:
Good to see Sproule kick a bag and he should be dominant this year in the NEAFL and I hope they leave him in the forward half, I am sure more than the 6 mentioned played but I could have seen plenty of academy boys having a run.
Driscoll and Murray are a couple of the overagers from the academy, not sure who played but some names to keep an eye on is the list of overagers for 2019 and hopefully some of them can further develop this year into draftable prospects

Jeremy Lucas 29/06/200 184 82 Northern Jets
James Peatling 21/08/200 183 75 Pennant Hills
Jai Reed 17/01/2000 186 87 Narooma
Nicholas Murray 18/12/200 193 90 Wangaratta
Shaun Driscoll 06/01/2000 186 71 Wagga
George Kendall 13/11/2000 193 90 Mangoplah
Max Beaumont 13/05/2000 186 80 Marist College
Ed Perryman 24/7/2000 179 65 Collingullie
Daniel Cerni 25/01/2000 192 95 Eastlake

Just a note when doing some research that the team has simply been known as GIANTS Reserves since the 2017 season

I'm not sure when the affiliation with WSU (formerly UWS) ended, or whether it still exists but just not by name

Just a note when doing some research that the team has simply been known as GIANTS Reserves since the 2017 season

I'm not sure when the affiliation with WSU (formerly UWS) ended, or whether it still exists but just not by name
It was rebranded as the University of Western Sydney Giants after 2016. Previously the UWS Giants, when the University dropped the abbreviated name.

Surmising that Giants reserves fits into templates and the full name doesn't.

That said I've never really got the "partnership" with the Uni, other than us wanting roots in the community at every opportunity. It isn't like a VFL side that has it's own listed players. The team consists of our listed players, fillers from local leagues at times, but mostly academy members it seems.

From todays hitout

Suspended ruckman Shane Mumford dominated the ruck division in his first of two weeks in the NEAFL.

Cleared to play while serving his AFL suspension, Mumford started in the ruck and rotated with big man Matthew Flynn who spent a large chunk of the game in attack in the 10-point win.

Nick Haynes also got through his return from a back injury unscathed, playing out the entire match.

Aiden Bonar impressed with his inside work through the midfield, while Isaac Cumming rebounded aggressively from defence before he sat out late as a precautionary AFL emergency.

First-round draftee Jackson Hateley, who lost several kilograms during the week through illness, played three quarters.

NEAFL report in on GWS website: https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-03-25/listed-players-impress-in-neafl-practice-match

The GIANTS NEAFL side has recorded a thrilling 10 point win in their practice match against Sydney University at the WestConnex Centre on Sunday. The Students caught the GIANTS napping in the second quarter to lead at half time, but a see-sawing second half saw the GIANTS run out winners 11.10 (76) to 10.6 (66).

Matt Buntine, Shane Mumford, Nick Shipley and Connor Idun were impressive in the win while key defender Nick Haynes was influential on his playing return.

The GIANTS’ NEAFL pre-season wraps up on Saturday, March 30 when they take on the Swans at the WestConnex Centre at 11:00am, before starting their 2019 NEAFL campaign against the Swans at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday, April 6.

GIANTS NEAFL coach Adam Schneider on the GIANTS’ AFL listed players:

Shane Mumford

“A good return from Shane, I was very impressed by his work rate and his aggression which we all know. He really dominated the tap work and played extremely well. Another solid game this week will put him right up there in round three when he’s available.”

Matt Buntine

“He was a little bit sore from the second JLT game, so he was touch and go this week but he ended up playing three and a half quarters of football. He’s a professional Matty Buntine, always reliable and some of the courageous stuff he does backing into packs really sets and example for the younger players.”

Matt Flynn

“Flynny spent a lot of time up forward with Shane in the ruck for about 70 per cent of the game. It was good to see Matt up front, he got his hands to eight or nine contested marks but just couldn’t clunk them. He’ll work on that during the week and I know last year he started to take those marks and he could do it again and have a big impact on the game.”

Nick Haynes

“He played three quarters in his return game, three quarters of solid footy. He’s silky and we know how good he can be. It was good to see him out there playing footy, that all his focus was, get through a game of footy. We got what we expected from Nick.”

Aiden Bonar

“Another solid game in the midfield for Aiden after playing in the JLT Series. It was good hard at it brand of footy from him chasing the ball. He got plenty of it.”

Isaac Cumming

“He was good, very attacking off the half-back, very clean and skilful in slippery, tricky and hot conditions. He also flew for some really good chop-out marks which helped out down back. It was a really pleasing game for him.”

Jackson Hately

“Jackson was unlucky not to get picked in round one after a great JLT Series. Considering his form in the NEAFL he’s going to be a really good player for us. He’s ready to play against men and the bigger bodies, so it's good to see young players like him coming through.”

Nick Shipley

“He had a huge game, absolutely racked up the touches around the game. He played an inside midfield role for us and his work rate is outstanding, he just stands out every week. He’s running opponents off their legs and getting plenty of the footy. He had great service from Shane in the ruck obviously and he made the most of it.”

Dylan Buckley

“It was a quieter game for Dylan, his first game back after a little hiccup in the pre-season. He had a huge pre-season, one of the best pre-seasons of his career, and it was a first hit out for him. It wasn't the Dylan we’re used to seeing but it was good to see him play four quarters of footy, which he’ll build on this week.”

Jack Buckley

“Jack was sick last week but battled his bum off out there working hard in the hot conditions which weren’t ideal for someone who’s been sick. He battled away and is building into it now and he’ll have a good run out this week I’d imagine.”

Connor Idun

“I’m really impressed with the way that Connor goes about it, he fits into the GIANTS family with the way he plays, he looks after his teammates out there and is very aggressive in the contest. He’s a good, fast half back who is keen to learn and I think we’ll be seeing a fair bit of Connor this year and I might lose him for a couple of games in the seniors if he keeps it up.”

Jake Stein

“It was a great performance by Stein, he put in a great performance in Canberra a fortnight ago. He’s our captain and has a win on the board now, so he’s happy. He was very solid, I don’t think he got beaten once in a contest, his offence side of the game is growing too. For a guy who is only into his third year of footy he’s developing very well.”

Kieren Briggs

“Briggsy was very good for us up forward, he launched into a lot of packs and crashed a lot of packs. For a young guy it was great to see. He didn’t clunk as many marks as he’d have liked but he’ll start taking those and make a big difference. His work rate was very impressive for a big man, he covered the ground well and kicked a couple of goals as well.

Zach Sproule

“It was a quiet first half for Zach but he still managed to kick a couple of goals. In the second half he worked really hard up the ground and got a fair bit of the ball after being thrown into the midfield. He capped it off with a couple of goals to finish off a good game.”

Good to see the coaches write up and a few names missing that arent on the injured list
Corr????? Still nothing from the club and he wasnt on the injury list last week
Sheridan? from memory a calf complaint was mentioned in an article last week
Hill/O'Halloran Both not ready for senior football was how Cameron worded it but you would think a pre season hitout would be a higher intensity training run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back