2nds WSU Giants NEAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, still a bit frustrating that guys aren't on injury lists but aren't playing. However, they could be off the injury list but not yet done enough training load to play in a full-blown trial. Still, it wouldn't hurt the club to put up a progress report sometime.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Write up about the neafl trial yesterday, not much but good to get an idea of who were the more noticeable players and the giants website will hopefully have the coaches report tomorrow

Returning ruck Shane Mumford engaged in a gruelling battle with Sydney big man Darcy Cameron all day and ran out the game well in the Giants' 43-point practice match loss.

The 32-year-old is eligible to play in the senior side next week after serving his club-imposed suspension for a video that emerged of him snorting a white powder in 2015.

Category B rookie Jake Stein was superb and rarely beaten in defence, while Isaac Cumming offered plenty of drive.

Through the midfield, Aiden Bonar and Nick Shipley were tireless as Sydney finished victorious, 11.13 (79) to 5.6 (36).

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-01/mumford-impresses-in-neafl-practice-match-

Coaches notes up and no real stand outs by the sounds of it
Stein, Cumming, Idun Defenders
Mumford, Shipley, Bonar, Sheridan, O'Halloran Mids
J Buckley/Sproule Wing/Fwd
Briggs, Flynn, D Buckley Fwd

Hateley may have been the travelling emergency with the senior team?

Not named in the coaches notes from the NEAFL pre season game and all the other emergencies played in Shipley, Cumming and Flynso assuming he travelled

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Team for the first game of the season
16 listed players on the team sheet Callum Brown plays his first game so interesting to see how he goes, not sure what is going on with Ian Hill not named for this game but hopefully he isnt far away from a game, No Caldwell and he wasnt named on the injury list but I would think the club will be cautious with him
I would think Cumming would be the emergency so probably only plays half the game, After missing any game time last week I would think Hately would get a full game in the NEAFL

B: 25. L Keeffe 35. A Corr 42. J Stein
HB: 47. J Bishop 39. C Idun 53. M Bridgland
C: 33. X O’Halloran 10. A Bonar 34. N Shipley
HF: 48. M Beaumont 44. J Buckley 32. K Briggs
F: 43. D Buckley 28. Z Sproule 30. M Flynn
R: 26. D Simpson 9. J Hately 13. I Cumming
Int: 46. C Brown 52. S Brown 49. J Moen 51. W Mudge 45. E Perryman
Emer: 17. G Kendall

New: 47. J Bishop 39. C Idun 33. X O’Halloran 9. J Hately 46. C Brown 52. S Brown 49. J Moen 51. W Mudge

SYDNEY
B: 46. J Amartey 43. L Melican 54. R Barkley
HB: 49. C Kilpatrick 47. T Pink 31. H Reynolds
C: 32. J Bell 8. J Rowbottom 16. Z Foot
HF: 27. J McInerney 38. C O’Riordan 1. J Rose
F: 15. K Jack 45. S Wicks 60. H McLean
R: 17. D Cameron 42. R Fox 4. R Clarke
Inter: 52. J Pawle 33. R Stoddart 50. K Veerhuis 58. J Willis 55. M Rossmann
Emer: 53. C Wilson

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Didnt get the points but hopefully some promising signs from the youngsters and good to see contributions from Bonar, Hately and Shipley, not sure how the midfield went but the stats say 72 inside 50s to the swans so hard to stop that as a defender
interested in any comments from anyone who watched some of the game

http://neafl.com.au/rose-stars-as-sydney-grinds-out-victory-against-giants/

From the AFL website

A pair of top draft picks led the way in the Giants' 29-point loss to Sydney.

The classy Aiden Bonar (pick 11 in 2017) had 30 disposals and kicked a goal, while Jackson Hately (pick 14 in 2018) finished with 27 and six tackles.

Nick Shipley was another who was busy (27 touches), while big man Lachie Keeffe had 19 disposals after being omitted from the senior side for the returning Shane Mumford.

Rookie key forward Zach Sproule top-scored with three goals.

Defender Aidan Corr played the first half in his return from a long-term groin injury.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Team for Saturdays game in Queensland 11 am start
I dont think they are starting positions and 16 listed players including any players who will be the travelling emergencies, I think the Lions have 20 named but they will be in the same situation with emergencies with the Lions at the MCG
Not sure but J Barrett could be a ex player?

B: 32. K Briggs 46. C Brown 51. S Quirk
HB: 44. J Buckley 35. A Corr 43. D Buckley
C: 53. K Flack 45. E Perryman 54. A Whyte
HF: 9. J Hately 25. L Keeffe 39. C Idun
F: 49. J Moen 33. X O’Halloran 52. M Monaghan
R: 30. M Flynn 28. Z Sproule 42. J Stein
Int: 48. J Barrett 10. A Bonar 13. I Cumming 34. N Shipley 26. D Simpson
Emer: 47. S Frost

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Team for Saturdays game in Queensland 11 am start
I dont think they are starting positions and 16 listed players including any players who will be the travelling emergencies, I think the Lions have 20 named but they will be in the same situation with emergencies with the Lions at the MCG
Not sure but J Barrett could be a ex player?

B: 32. K Briggs 46. C Brown 51. S Quirk
HB: 44. J Buckley 35. A Corr 43. D Buckley
C: 53. K Flack 45. E Perryman 54. A Whyte
HF: 9. J Hately 25. L Keeffe 39. C Idun
F: 49. J Moen 33. X O’Halloran 52. M Monaghan
R: 30. M Flynn 28. Z Sproule 42. J Stein
Int: 48. J Barrett 10. A Bonar 13. I Cumming 34. N Shipley 26. D Simpson
Emer: 47. S Frost

Coach literally just chucked names anywhere on the board.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Caldwell, Hill still no sign despite not appearing on injury list. Long live the Giants injury smokescreens

It seems for most players the club is being extra cautious and I am not concerned at the moment but if Greene misses next week I will be questioning the medical staff again. And with Caldwell with his injury concerns from last year I would rather the club looked after his long term prospects and Hill the with a shoulder injury will need to build up strength in that area or he could have problems playing at NEAFL level with the bigger bodies, not sure if he played senior wafl last year

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
http://neafl.com.au/lions-maul-their-way-to-a-giant-victory/

It will be interesting to read the coaches notes from the game and I am sure they will have a hard week on the track and hopefully an improvement next week v the Suns at Blacktown
Not sure if it was an injury but Cumming only 1 touch for the game

From AFL.com.au

Draftee midfielder Jackson Hately finished with 27 disposals for the second week in a row in Greater Western Sydney's 95-point loss to Brisbane.

It was slim pickings after that, with rookie Zach Sproule, who is yet to debut, impressing with two goals from his 15 disposals and six marks.

Last year's Vic Metro under-18 captain Xavier O'Halloran finished with 15 touches and five marks, while young ruckman Matthew Flynn also had 15.

Last edited:
http://neafl.com.au/lions-maul-their-way-to-a-giant-victory/

It will be interesting to read the coaches notes from the game and I am sure they will have a hard week on the track and hopefully an improvement next week v the Suns at Blacktown
Not sure if it was an injury but Cumming only 1 touch for the game

From AFL.com.au

Draftee midfielder Jackson Hately finished with 27 disposals for the second week in a row in Greater Western Sydney's 95-point loss to Brisbane.

It was slim pickings after that, with rookie Zach Sproule, who is yet to debut, impressing with two goals from his 15 disposals and six marks.

Last year's Vic Metro under-18 captain Xavier O'Halloran finished with 15 touches and five marks, while young ruckman Matthew Flynn also had 15.
Hately feels odds on to come in for Ward now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back