B: 10. A Bonar 46. C Brown 32. K Briggs
HB: 44. J Buckley 35. A Corr 43. D Buckley
C: 48. S Barkley 51. H Grant 53. K Flack
HF: 37. I Hill 39. C Idun 49. E Perryman
F: 47. M McGrory 45. J Peatling 33. X O’Halloran
R: 30. M Flynn 28. Z Sproule 52. L Squire
Int: 13. I Cumming 25. L Keeffe 34. N Shipley 26. D Simpson 42. J Stein
Emg: 54. G Kendall
In: 37. I Hill 47. M McGrory 51. H Grant 52. L Squire 34. N Shipley 45. J Peatling 48. S Barkley
Out: 9. J Hately (AFL) 49. M Bridgland 51. S Quirk 52. M Monaghan 48. J Barrett 47. S Frost 54. A Whyte (all omitted)
New: 48. S Barkley 37. I Hill
GOLD COAST
B: 37. R Buckland 21. J Leslie 49. R Gilmore
HB: 45. J Dawson 46. C Graham 43. J McLennan
C: 23. L McDonald 13. C Ah Chee 42. C Nutting
HF: 50. D Koenen 34. B King 36. J Schoenfeld
F: 19. J Corbett 31. J Gore 48. F Greenwool
R: 22. T Nicholls 35. M Rischitelli 18. B Scheer
Int (from): 9. B Ainsworth 3. J Bowes 7. W Brodie 12. S Day 40. J Heron 41. J Lukosius 2. A Miles 15. A Young
Emg: 10. M Fraser 20. C Joyce
In: 50. D Koenen 2. A Miles 9. B Ainsworth 31. J Gore 36. J Schoenfeld 3. J Bowes 15. A Young 37. R Buckland 41. J Lukosius
Out: 33. G Horlin-Smith (AFL) 47. S Fletcher (injured) 24. A Swallow (omitted) 53. J Mohr (omitted) 49. J Hinds (omitted)
New: 2. A Miles 41. J Lukosius

Great work to half time from the boys leading 67-18 against the GCS.

A good midfield effort from the usual suspects in Bonar, Shipley, Cumming and O'Hallaran. O'Hallaran reminds me a bit of Coniglio with the way he moves and attacks the contest. Sproule dominating up forward with 3 or 4 goals already. Too strong and mobile for his opposition and kicking very straight.

Bobby Hill looking very classy up till half time at the NEAFL game when around the ball. Presuming he is on limited game time on his NEAFL debut but super creative, dangerous and high impact player. Hasnt racked up the possessions as a high half forward, but his speed allows him to disrupt multiple handballs from the opposition and he tackles relentlessly despite his light frame. A real pressure cooker player. His class shone with his quality delivery by foot into the 50 leading to a goal and shows what he could potentially be capable of as an outside mid as well. Has also kicked 2 amazing crumbing goals already and is very mobile around stoppages when the ball is thrown up in our forward 50. Really stoked with the pickup - an X-factor player we have been looking for. Could be biased here, but the more he can get the ball, the more dangerous we will look.

Corr not having the best of games in my opinion - been a bit slow to defend and as a result getting outmarked quite a bit. Idun slightly better on Ben King but ball hasnt been down much to give a good indicator.

Briggs showing more ability than Flynn for me. Flynn has been a bit clumsy and slow when around the ball. Briggs hasnt touched it much but his 2 goals (one from 50m, another around the body 40m shot) was quality and shows he is mobile and can be dangerous in multiple positions.

Can't get ahold of the NEAFL app so no statistics, if anyone can throw a screenshot up at the end would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

We let GCS off the hook in the 4 quarter but a very good 3 quarter effort sealed the win.

Cumming and Shipley the standouts in midfield. Both worked hard all day. Bonar solid with some good marks, tireless tackling and a good shot at goal. O'Hallaran good for 3 quarters but seemed to tire out by the 4th quarter.

No obvious injury to me, but Hill seemingly rested for the last 1.5 quarters (likely as part of managing his first game) but his glimpses of brilliance look amazing. Probably no correlation, but interestingly, after Hill was off midway through the 3rd quarter, our scoring also started drying up.

Personally, would like to see Dawson rested from time to time in the NEAFL to keep him fresh if AFL duties require him, but also to allow Flynn and Briggs to shoulder the ruckload in his absence. No doubt Briggs is showing signs as a forward but being the All-Australian ruck last year, would like to see him show his skills there too.

Brown perhaps a bit too overambitious with his running at times. Forgets to dispose of the ball and gets run down or pressured into making poor decisions. May need to work on bouncing the oval ball but will take some time to overwrite the gaelic influences. With the speed he possesses would also expect more tackling pressure from him.

Good to see the reserves get a win and a few good performances from the listed players and hopefully they can back it up and put pressure on the seniors

http://neafl.com.au/sproule-boots-five-as-giants-prove-too-good-for-gold-coast/

And from the AFL website

Rookie Zach Sproule's strong NEAFL form continued in Greater Western Sydney's 38-point win over Gold Coast, kicking five goals.

Fourteen of Sproule's 15 disposals were kicks, with the 20-year-old also taking six marks.

Running defender Isaac Cumming had a day out with 33 touches and nine marks, while Nick Shipley was equally prolific with 32 and seven tackles.

Draftee Ian Hill kicked two goals from eight touches in his first game for the season.

Aiden Bonar continues to build form in the NEAFL, finishing with 19 disposals, six tackles and two goals.

The problem for Sproule is that there doesn't appear to be a natural spot for him in first grade. With our KPFs Jezza, HH & ToJ all playing well - and today didn't change that IMHO - he's waiting on an injury to get a start. And longer term, you'd think we might edge towards a ruck/forward there, such as Flynn or Briggs. Still, if he keeps playing well and kicking bags of goals he has to put pressure on.

Cumming, Shipley, Bonar the main names bobbing up today, and possibly getting a look at first grade, but realistically I doubt Leon drops the main culprits of Taranto and Hopper after one poor game. It's possible they could look to put MdB forward as another pressure forward (perhaps for Bunts) and add another midfielder. Bobby Hill needs a few good games to be a chance of coming in.

So, sum total, I'm not sure that one good game forces any changes to first grade, but good to see them win well.

The problem for Sproule is that there doesn't appear to be a natural spot for him in first grade. With our KPFs Jezza, HH & ToJ all playing well - and today didn't change that IMHO - he's waiting on an injury to get a start. And longer term, you'd think we might edge towards a ruck/forward there, such as Flynn or Briggs. Still, if he keeps playing well and kicking bags of goals he has to put pressure on.

Cumming, Shipley, Bonar the main names bobbing up today, and possibly getting a look at first grade, but realistically I doubt Leon drops the main culprits of Taranto and Hopper after one poor game. It's possible they could look to put MdB forward as another pressure forward (perhaps for Bunts) and add another midfielder. Bobby Hill needs a few good games to be a chance of coming in.

So, sum total, I'm not sure that one good game forces any changes to first grade, but good to see them win well.
Someone else who could be thrown into consideration is Zac Langdon who was listed as 1 week away from returning this week. He got through most of the preseason but probably would need to come back through NEAFL if Greene is coming back into the team next week. The bigger headache is definitely who replaces Davis with Franklin looming. Corr didnt standout when he should have been banging the door down. A lazy performance in my opinion when the camera was on him. The obvious replacement though has to be Corr who the club would be itching to get back into top form over an average Keefe. If Corr doesnt get a chance when Davis is out, you have to wonder if he wants to stay around at the end of the season.

Sproule is only in his third season and for a KPF he still has plenty of development left and also to fill out his body and I can see him improving his numbers from last year and with all the changes in the NEAFL team it makes his performances better IMO and also his flexibility to play wing and as a mid adds to his versatility. What has pushed his chances for a debut back is the emergence of TOJ as a forward and then Patton to come back in the second half of the season but if he kicks goals he should see a debut this year
The 3 of Cumming, Shipley, Bonar are still building into the season IMO and if they dominate the NEAFL they will be considered and eventually an opportunity will open up for them

With Langdon it will be interesting to see if he is back next weekend with the cautious approach of the rehab team I could see another week for him but I hope he is back playing and I can see minimum 2 games in the reserves for him as I cant remember him playing either JLT
I think Corr is lacking some fitness after his injury issues he must have missed a lot of pre season and hopefully another couple of weeks of games and he is back to full match fitness, and he will get his opportunity and he will need to make the most of it but I cant see him looking to leave

Someone else who could be thrown into consideration is Zac Langdon who was listed as 1 week away from returning this week. He got through most of the preseason but probably would need to come back through NEAFL if Greene is coming back into the team next week. The bigger headache is definitely who replaces Davis with Franklin looming. Corr didnt standout when he should have been banging the door down. A lazy performance in my opinion when the camera was on him. The obvious replacement though has to be Corr who the club would be itching to get back into top form over an average Keefe. If Corr doesnt get a chance when Davis is out, you have to wonder if he wants to stay around at the end of the season.

Sproule is only in his third season and for a KPF he still has plenty of development left and also to fill out his body and I can see him improving his numbers from last year and with all the changes in the NEAFL team it makes his performances better IMO and also his flexibility to play wing and as a mid adds to his versatility. What has pushed his chances for a debut back is the emergence of TOJ as a forward and then Patton to come back in the second half of the season but if he kicks goals he should see a debut this year.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing Sproule off - I should have included the phrase ''at the moment'' in relation to his chances for a first grade spot - and agree with your points; although I think his chances of a debut will hinge on team performance and that plus the health of ToJ, HH & Patton as much as his own performances. But, as you say, kicking bags of goals will keep him in the frame.

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-22/sproule-stars-in-neafl-win

Sounds like a almost complete performance and good to see most of the listed players contributing and it will be interesting to see where the coaches votes go (Should be on the NEAFL website tomorrow)
Cumming on the wing is interesting and more with how he performed and hopefully he can back it up on saturday
Great to see Sproule kick 5 and he needs more of those games through the year and hopefully the club can keep him as a target forward as that is where he needs to develop his game IMO
Sounds like J Buckley had his best game for the club and if he keeps that up I wont be calling for him to be delisted

From the academy Green, Murray and Delahunty played in a academy game and performed well by reports but overager Peatling played his first game of the year for the NEAFL and performed well with 20 disposals and a goal and it will be interesting to see if the club looks to add any players in the mid season draft. From my understanding of the rules any players who nominated for last years draft and were not picked up are eligible but it could depend on if they fill a need but also I see it as an opportunity to get one of the overagers into the club system for 4 months with a possibility to re-draft them in the november draft (I think clubs have priority access to re-drafting any players from the mid season draft

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-22/sproule-stars-in-neafl-win

Sounds like a almost complete performance and good to see most of the listed players contributing and it will be interesting to see where the coaches votes go (Should be on the NEAFL website tomorrow)
Cumming on the wing is interesting and more with how he performed and hopefully he can back it up on saturday
Great to see Sproule kick 5 and he needs more of those games through the year and hopefully the club can keep him as a target forward as that is where he needs to develop his game IMO
Sounds like J Buckley had his best game for the club and if he keeps that up I wont be calling for him to be delisted

From the academy Green, Murray and Delahunty played in a academy game and performed well by reports but overager Peatling played his first game of the year for the NEAFL and performed well with 20 disposals and a goal and it will be interesting to see if the club looks to add any players in the mid season draft. From my understanding of the rules any players who nominated for last years draft and were not picked up are eligible but it could depend on if they fill a need but also I see it as an opportunity to get one of the overagers into the club system for 4 months with a possibility to re-draft them in the november draft (I think clubs have priority access to re-drafting any players from the mid season draft
Peating look good , played on a gc kid who has kicked a heap of goals in the Nab league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see the rehab report tomorrow to see if Caldwell and Langdon are discussed and whether they might try to slowly give them some limited game time in the NEAFL over the next couple of weeks. Look forward to Perryman pushing hard for his spot back in 3-4 weeks time as well.

Team for this weeks derby with 18 listed players and not sure if 1 will be a travelling emergency with the early game at Blacktown and then the SCG later but good to see Langdon in and assuming he plays 1/2-3/4 of the game, hope to see Sproule kick another bag
13 listed players for the Swans but the first derby was a 6 goal win for them so they will be confident

Giants
B: 48. M Beaumont 32. K Briggs 10. A Bonar
HB: 46. C Brown 44. J Buckley 43. D Buckley
C: 37. I Hill 25. L Keeffe 39. C Idun
HF: 17. Z Langdon 33. X O’Halloran 51. W Mudge
F: 49. E Perryman 34. N Shipley 52. J Pope
R: 30. M Flynn 28. Z Sproule 42. J Stein
Int: 21. M Buntine 13. I Cumming 9. J Hately 26. D Simpson 47. C Steele

Swans
B: 31. H Reynolds 16. Z Foot 50. K Veerhuis
HB: 42. R Fox 47. T Pink 27. J McInerney
C: 59. M Belbasis 38. C O’Riordan 19. M Ling
HF: 51. R Barkley 1. J Rose 45. S Wicks
F: 57.T Baxter 17. D Cameron 52. J Pawle
R: 46. J Amartey 33. R Stoddart 32. J Bell
Int: 49. C Kilpatrick 53. K McKellar 58. I Olsen 56. T Tyson 48. Z Youlten

45 point loss today and although they stayed with the Swans for the first half they ran away with it in the last quarter
52-97

Sproule and Langdon 2 goals each
Cumming, Shipley and Langdon look to be the best followed by Hately, J Buckley looks to have had a impressive game with 22 touches 6 tackles and 7 marks
Quiet day for Bonar but not sure if he spent more time forward, D Buckley must have gone down early with an injury so maybe we will find out Monday what happened

Bonar’s form is worrying me a little. Needs to find more of it.

Bonar has been a bit up and down so far this season but I think it is to do with the role he is playing and what the coaches want him to work on, and also the fitness issue with him but I can see him becoming more consistent as the season goes and with 4 games + pre season I think he is building nicely. Just my opinion and we can see how he goes over the next 4 rounds and if he is still having the quiet games i am sure we will be discussing his form and future

http://neafl.com.au/sydney-impressive-against-giants-to-set-up-showdown-with-brisbane/

Write up from AFL.com.au

Basically just from the stats

Zac Langdon, who is yet to play a senior match after 17 in his debut season, kicked two goals from 21 disposals and also took nine marks.

Young pair Isaac Cumming (28 disposals, including 22 kicks and eight marks) and Nick Shipley (25 and eight tackles) were busy in the 45-point loss to Sydney.

Draftee Jackson Hately responded from his AFL omission with 19 disposals, six marks and six tackles, while rookie Zach Sproule's two goals took his NEAFL season tally to 12 from four games.

Ruckman Lachie Keeffe took 10 marks on his way to 15 touches.

Last edited:
Coaches votes from the loss to Sydney

10: Robbie Fox (Sydney)
8: Colin O’Riordan (Sydney)
5: Isaac Cumming (GIANTS)
3: Zac Langdon (GIANTS)
3: Darcy Cameron (Sydney)
1: Connor Idun (GIANTS)

Good to see Idun get a vote

Friday night game this week v Canberra and hopefully a strong lineup with Perryman and Caldwell in they can get a win

Team for tomorrow nights game with 18 listed players but maybe Perryman/Caldwell will be on limited game time and also an emergency for the next days senior game will play 3/4 but I would say this is the strongest lineup that has been named since 2016

B: 10. A Bonar 32. K Briggs 36. H Perryman
HB: 46. C Brown 37. I Hill 44. J Buckley
C: 39. C Idun 48. R Mooney 25. L Keeffe
HF: 51. W Mudge 45. J Peatling 33. X O’Halloran
F: 52. J Pope 28. Z Sproule 42. J Stein
R: 30. M Flynn 34. N Shipley 5. J Caldwell
Int: 21. M Buntine 9. J Hately 17. Z Langdon 26. D Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back