fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Scrappy game but 4 points with a 78-64 win
Langdon 3 Hill 2 Sproule 2
Perryman 19d played an ok game
Bonar 16d 1g Seemed to be quiet apart from a small burst at the beginning of the last quarter
I think Shipley played a defensive role on Maguire
A good run for Caldwell but plenty to improve on
Simpson monstored the Demons ruck but just no connection with the mids meant the opposition could shark the taps, seriously needs to be worked on IMO
Maybe some of the poor skills were down to the 6 day break but the NEAFL team have the bye next weekend so plenty of time to work on things
Demons dominated the possession but not much clean ball but that could be down to the wet track and some poor disposal

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
With the players we have, it might be worthwhile even at NEAFL level to play Bonar as a medium power forward to see how he goes. Feel he could have the potential to develop in the mould of a De Goey. His field kicking just seems really off and think we have better options there - even when he has time he just hacks the ball. Contrarily, his kicking at goal is surprisingly smooth and I think with his acceleration, speed, height, power, tackling pressure and relatively good marking but lack of endurance and two-way running, he may find a niche for himself as a permanent forward with stints in the midfield

Our midfield would still have Shipley, Caldwell, O'Hallaran, one of Hately/Perryman (pending AFL duties), Cumming (when Whitfield returns) and Tom Green to come

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not really many stand outs from the game but Langdon and Perryman the best although Perryman probably needs another week at least and with the bye those players miss an opportunity for game time. Caldwell had a few noticeable moments but nothing that screamed out that he is a class above

http://neafl.com.au/giants-earn-hard-fought-victory-against-canberra/

From AFL.com.au

Defender Harry Perryman led the way for GWS in its win over Canberra, finishing with 19 disposals, seven marks and six tackles in his first game since puncturing his lung in round one.

It was a low-disposal affair, with Aiden Bonar having the Giants' second-highest individual tally with 16.

Exciting draftee Ian Hill kicked 2.2 from his 10 disposals, while fellow small forward Zac Langdon – who is yet to play a game this year after 21 in his debut season – kicked 3.2 from seven.

Category B rookie and former decathlete Jake Stein (10 touches, five marks) was named the team's second-best behind Perryman.

https://twitter.com/GWSGIANTS/status/1124272233382199296/photo/1

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-06/neafl-giants-cast-out-demons

Sounds like every player had a great game but with a win obviously things worked well, week off this weekend so a rest and hopefully no injuries out of the game and the next game will be a curtain raiser to the carlton game and hopefully Deledio is back, Caldwell to have a full game

It looks like the title is Brisbanes to lose with an impressive win over the Swans in qld 101-34 although they had 21 listed players I think that shows the benefit of having minimal changes to the squad helps with the winning streak they are enjoying

Edit

Coaches votes

Canberra v GIANTS
10: Alex Smout (Canberra)
6: Mitch Hardie (Canberra)
5: Harry Perryman (GIANTS)
3: Dawson Simpson (GIANTS)
3: Zach Sproule (GIANTS)
2: Aiden Bonar (GIANTS)
1: Zac Langdon (GIANTS)

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
4 of the Academy prospects lining up in the game in Green, Peatling, McGory and Murray and with another strong team they should do well at home v 2nd on the table Southport and hopefully with some good numbers the team will be developing some good communication on the field

GIANTS
B:
32. K Briggs 43. D Buckley 46. C Brown
HB: 44. J Buckley 5. J Caldwell 21. M Buntine
C: 48. T Green 39. C Idun 37. I Hill
HF: 33. X O’Halloran 34. N Shipley 45. J Peatling
F: 28. Z Sproule 10. A Bonar 42. J Stein
R: 30. M Flynn 47 M. McGrory 54. N Murray
Int (from): 13. I Cumming 7. B Deledio 9 J Hately 25. L Keeffe 40. A Kennedy 36. H Perryman 26. D Simpson 6. L Whitfield
55. L Delahunty 51. H Grant

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
How I think they would line up on Sunday

Idun Stein Buntine
Murray Keefe Cumming
O’Halloran Shipley J Buckley
Caldwell Sproule D Buckley
Hill Flynn Brown
Simpson Hately Bonar
Briggs Green Peatling McGrory

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
http://neafl.com.au/shipley-stars-as-giants-end-southports-undefeated-run/

Big win 99-51 and with 19 listed players although Southport missing 3 of the more experienced players on their list but still 4 points and into the top 6
Stand outs Shipley with 40p but 27 handballs so not sure how effective they were, Sproule had a good day at the office with 5 goals and Flynn another stand out with 2 goals and 15d and 24 hitouts but not sure how tall the Southport ruck is. Coaches votes will be interesting to see

http://neafl.com.au/shipley-stars-as-giants-end-southports-undefeated-run/

Big win 99-51 and with 19 listed players although Southport missing 3 of the more experienced players on their list but still 4 points and into the top 6
Stand outs Shipley with 40p but 27 handballs so not sure how effective they were, Sproule had a good day at the office with 5 goals and Flynn another stand out with 2 goals and 15d and 24 hitouts but not sure how tall the Southport ruck is. Coaches votes will be interesting to see
I only saw the last qtr, only thing that stood out to me was how far off AFL level Idun is at this stage

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I only saw the last qtr, only thing that stood out to me was how far off AFL level Idun is at this stage

The difference in standard is so big between the 2 comps it slows the development of some of the players and I think mostly injury free years and pre seasons are important for the players development

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-20/giants-defeat-reigning-premiers-in-neafl

Positive write ups on all the players and I think coaches votes will be important to see how effective Shipley was and who was seen as the most important

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Coaches votes from the weekend game

10: Nick Shipley (GIANTS)
8: Zach Sproule (GIANTS)
5: Jye Caldwell (GIANTS)
5: Josh Williams (Southport)
1: Tyler Roos (Southport)
1: James Peatling (GIANTS)

Tough game this weekend with Brisbane away on Saturday and hopefully an impressive performance with no injuries

neYjTCi.png

Rma9Mm1.png

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Team for Saturdays game, the bench includes the emergencies and bench for the Sunday AFL game so can take out 4 or 5 names, it is basically the 4 Academy players from the last game out and Langdon comes in along with 2 or 3 Academy players so good to have a strong team named and it looks like 18-19 listed players for the Lions so a tough game coming up

GIANTS
B:
10. A Bonar 46. C Brown 32. K Briggs
HB: 44. J Buckley 21. M Buntine 43. D Buckley
C: 5. J Caldwell 51. K Flack 49. S Driscoll
HF: 37. I Hill 39. C Idun 42. J Stein
F: 17. Z Langdon 47. E Perryman 33. X O’Halloran
R: 30. M Flynn 28. Z Sproule 34. N Shipley
Int (from): 3. S Coniglio 13. I Cumming 9. J Hately 2. J Hopper 25. L Keeffe 38. D Lloyd 26. D Simpson 20. A Tomlinson
Emg: 52. C Edwards 45. H Grant 53. W Mudge 48. J Reed

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Brave fight by the guys and hard with no rotations towards the end of the game and hopefully the injuries are not that bad and I always think the worst when the word knee injury are mentioned so hopefully for Sproule it is only minor as I had him down for a debut game this year at some stage
Unlucky for Caldwell after only the full game last week but hopefully it is only minor and he gets back soon and I think the rehab team will be extra cautious with him

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Coaches votes from the weekends game and it will be an interesting return match to see how much difference a full bench would make

Brisbane v GIANTS
8: Jacob Allison (Brisbane)
7: Jackson Hately (GIANTS)
6: Allen Christensen (Brisbane)
4: Ryan Bastinac (Brisbane)
2: Aiden Bonar (GIANTS)
2: Lachlan Keeffe (GIANTS)
1: Nick Shipley (GIANTS)

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Team for the curtain raiser on Saturday, 16 listed players and the suns have about the same so hopefully a good contest and I think Sproule will be missed and a few of the academy kids on show again so a good chance to see Green play v some bigger bodies

Buntine Stein Idun
O'Halloran J Buckley McGrory
Driscoll Shipley Lloyd
Langdon Flynn D Buckley
Hill Briggs C Brown
Simpson Hately Bonar
E Perryman Peatling Green Grant Flack

Back