2nds WSU Giants NEAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Team for the weekend and it should be 12 listed players with comebacks for Corr, Cumming, Buntine, O'Halloran and J Buckley and likely all on limited minutes so hopefully no injuries in this game and a honorable loss v the Lions with a probable all listed players on the team sheet this will not be pretty with them warming up for finals. hopefully Shipley, Sheridan and the other mids can limit the fast ball movement

B: 38. D Addison 46. C Brown 43. M Belbasis
HB: 44. J Buckley 54. L Delahunty 21. M Buntine
C: 51. K Flack 39. C Idun 53. H Grant
HF: 47. M McGrory 33. X O'Halloran 55. N Murray
F: 45. J Peatling 11. T Sheridan 49. E Perryman
R: 32. K Briggs 34. N Shipley 52. L Squire
Int (from): 10. A Bonar 5. J Caldwell 35. A Corr 13. I Cumming 9. J Hately 26. D Simpson 28. Z Sproule 42. J Stein

Reviews up from the game and well done to the club coming up against the lions with a full playing sheet of listed players it was always an impossible task and good to see the players back and well done to O'Halloran and Cumming and good to see so many academy kids playing significant game time and important roles I hope we see Delahunty and Peatling on the list next year to see how they develop

Hoping for a last round win v the Suns to get some momentum going into finals and hopefully the game is v Swans as if i am correct it will mean they can play more listed players than if it is v a non AFL club

Really pleased to see these comments - I'm looking forward to seeing what X and Jye can do in the midfield in the future. If Cogs does leave, these 2 kids are the inside mids with some zip who will take us forward IMHO.

Xavier O’Halloran – 25 disposals, six tackles, seven inside 50s
“I thought ‘X’ was our best player for the day; 25 disposals, 20 of those contested, 10 clearances and six tackles. They’re great number for a guy who missed eight weeks of footy; it was super. He covered the ground really, really well. We had no expectations on how he was going to go but I was super pleased for him to come out and have the numbers he did. It’s reward for all the work he’s been doing over the last few weeks because he’s really been training hard. The challenge will be for him to back it up after a six-day break.”

MmhpC5P.png

Te4aNfh.png

Team for this weekends game with 13 listed players and the same for the Suns
The equation for the team is with results going as expected with the Swans losing to the Lions, Sydney uni losing away to Southport and Aspley beating NT, a win to the Giants over the Suns will be away to the Swans and a loss will mean a trip to Aspley

B: 30. D Addison 44. J Buckley 46. C Brown
HB: 54. L Delahunty 53. H Grant 51. K Flack
C: 39. C Idun 55. N Murray 47. M McGrory
HF: 33. X O'Halloran 49. E Perryman 45. J Peatling
F: 11. T Sheridan 48. Z Barzen 34. N Shipley
R: 32. K Briggs 28. Z Sproule 42. J Stein
Int: 10. A Bonar 21. M Buntine 5. J Caldwell 9. J Hately

Not really the best result with the NEAFL team going down 41-97 but they still qualify for the finals and will head up to Qld to play Aspley at Midday on Saturday
Hately (15) and Sheridan (9) the standouts and along with Caldwell (9) and Bonar (9) they helped the team lay 95 tackles another positive was Briggs with 18d 36ho and 9 tackles the other standout
I will try and find out what the qualifications are for finals eligibility for the NEAFL finals are but with LC mentioning that Hopper may play a NEAFL final next week they may have relaxed the rules a little bit
Edit J Buckley was withdrawn so his fragile body lets him down again

Last edited:
Be interesting to see who the club ends up playing in the neafl final. Eg Hopper. Let him have the extra weeks rest?
I imagine the club will look to not risk any further injury through the neafl. Let the players rest and really focus on non contact work and game plan.
Set ourselves up to go balls to the wall in two weeks.

Some document talk for you guys to decipher
Key points
Any academy player can play finals
Listed players need to have played 3 NEAFL games to qualify
If a player has played 5 AFL games they need to have played 9 NEAFL games For example Cumming has played 5 AFL games and 7 NEAFL so under this rule he is not able to play, Hately has played 7 AFL games and 12 NEAFL games so he is able to play
By the rules Hopper is eligible to play because he missed the Suns game (I think), it will be interesting to see the lineup named on Thursday and who is named as a few players will not be eligible due to the rules

(a) Any under 18 academy player/under 19 approved academy player is not required to play any Competition home and away matches to qualify.
(b) Any listed player must have played a minimum of three (3) Competition home and away Matches for the club to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
(c) In the event a listed player has played five (5) matches or more in the AFL, he must have played at least nine (9) Competition home and away Matches to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
(d) Notwithstanding anything within these Rules, should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL match, that player will be eligible to play in the Competition finals series Match with the AFL Club Reserves team that same weekend, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season.
(e) A primary or rookie listed AFL player is eligible to play in the Competition finals series Match where there is a bye/week off in the AFL competition provided he has not played in an AFL team in the week prior to the Competition finals match, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season. For clarity, this means that any primary or rookie listed AFL player who did play AFL in the week prior to the Competition finals match is not eligible.

NEAFL MVP voting

46: Jackson Hately
34: Nick Shipley
18: Zach Sproule
18: Daniel Lloyd
15: Zac Langdon
14: Isaac Cumming
14: Matthew Flynn
14: Aiden Bonar
10: Jye Caldwell
6: Dawson Simpson

Game review from the website

Briggs and Brown played every game in the NEAFL, Shipley and Idun 17 and from the possible academy draftees Perryman (13), Grant (13), Delahunty(7), Murray (7) and Peatling (12)
71 players used so far in the season so plenty of opportunity for the academy players

FB: Aidan Corr, Connor Idun, Jake Stein
HB: Callum Brown, Matt Buntine, Isaac Cumming
C: Nick Shipley, Xavier O’Halloran, Tommy Sheridan
HF: Jack Buckley, Zach Sproule, Aiden Bonar
FF: Dylan Buckley, Nick Murray, James Peatling
Ruck: Kieren Briggs, Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately
Interchange: Ed Perryman, Lachlan Squire, Harry Grant, Will Chandler

Team is up for todays final and good to see 16 listed players in and looks to be a sunny day in Brisbane and looking at the talent on the field I can see the Giants getting the win but the away trip and the lack of continuity in the team makes me think it could be a win to Aspley, Surprised to see Cumming named as I thought he was not eligible

Stream will be on youtube for those that have the time to watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Report on last weekends finals loss and a disappointing way for the team to go out but I am sure the listed players would have taken a lot from the season and some will be better prepared for next year and also another year that saw plenty of opportunities for the academy players with over 40 academy players seeing games for the team
Briggs and Brown played every game with Shipley and Idun just missing the one game so great efforts by the youngsters

For those interested the final between the Lions and the Sharks is on at 1pm on Sunday, link is below

The Lions doing as most would have expected with a 120-30 lead at 3/4 time and even with only 16 listed players they are completely dominating it will be interesting to see which players look for opportunities elsewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back