Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Ash goes on to win in a tight 3 setter. Pliskova lost so I'm not sure if that means ash holds on to the #1 ranking for another week. She does have a bit to defend for the remainder of the season.
Will keep the number one ranking.

Will just lose the 620 points from winning Zhuhai last year.
Gains can be made from:
  1. Any further wins at Wuhan.
  2. Beijing where she did not play last year.
  3. The WTA finals.

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
So Barty keeps the number one ranking after Ostapenko beats Pliskova. Seems now the WTA Finals will decide who finishes end of year on top. Think Barty finishes on a minimum of 6266. That's with Zhuhai points subtracted (-620) and if she loses 2nd round in Beijing (+65) and also her three round robin matches in the finals (+3x125).

Gotta like the way Ostapenko goes about her tennis. Just goes for it, no playing safe.
Against Pliskova - 10 aces, 47 winners, 25 double faults and 53 unforced errors.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Pliksova Asia swing has been up and down. Won the first tournament a couple of weeks ago. Got to the quarters last week and now crashed out in the first round. Some of the first round matches in Beijing have been hard to predict. Yesterday Vekic and Bertens played a fantastic three setter with Bertens coming through in a tie breaker. Felt sorry for Vekic as she played a great match.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Tennis Australia is in talks with the WTA for an ATP world cup team competition for the girls.

I, for one, hope this doesn't happen. I worry for my little tournament in my backyard if it did.

Wouldn't they just do it instead of Brisbane? If they want to attract big names to it they won't play it the week before a slam.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Wouldn't they just do it instead of Brisbane? If they want to attract big names to it they won't play it the week before a slam.
most likely, but I am a bit paranoid. As a Tasmanian, we get told we aren't big enough for anything.

Osaka is the most annoying, inconsistent player on the circuit. Makes Mug look predictable. Defeated Andreescu in 3 last night. The first loss by Andreescu since March!!!!!!!!

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Gauff playing qualifiers in Linz. At least she's not been given a wildcard and is made to work to get in the main draw.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
4th round Wimbledon and 3rd round US, you'd think she'd have more points than she does. She has 23/13 record for the year so not as if the only tournaments she has played either, she has played a few ITFs. They didn't even give her a wildcard to Washington before the US.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Barty started well when it was "uncontested" in the first set. Once Osaka stopped sooking and decided to put the effort in and defend the pressure combined with Osaka's power was too much and Barty's service game dropped and the errors flowed.

Osaka more sooky than even a young Murray.

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Think it was a case of what goes around comes around for Barty. All the tough matches last fortnight in Wuhan and Beijing caught up with her in the end. Opposite of the Miami final where Pliskova was running on empty. Whereas Osaka played in Osaka, then missed Wuhan.
Barty got tired from late second set even considering Osaka lifted her game. You could see a good number of times where she struggled to get into position to play the shot well and the errors mounted up. Just a fraction but at that level clearly noticeable. Thought she needed to slow the play down, take longer between points. No excuse though.

Begs the question of how far she would have got if she'd played doubles the last two weeks. Probably would have if Azarenka was fit as they were still a chance to reach the finals.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Osaka is playing great atm, really wanted Petra to win but Osaka really steps up when she has too but she is complaining that she is tired.

Barty up next against Benic. Really happy to see Batman and Robin back together (alias Cahill and Halep). Cahill is in Shenzhen

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Barty wins in 3 against bencic. First set was close but in the last few games ash made too many ue. After the first set though it was one way traffic, Barty dominant in the 2nd and 3rd sets. Clinches the year end #1 even if she does not play another match.

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Even though Barty dropped a set, winning the two sets 6-1, 6-2 is a big plus if it comes down to a countback on who qualifies for the semis.

Barty wins in 3 against bencic. First set was close but in the last few games ash made too many ue. After the first set though it was one way traffic, Barty dominant in the 2nd and 3rd sets. Clinches the year end #1 even if she does not play another match.

Not saying she'd have won, but Bencic was severely hampered by her injury in the second and 3rd sets. Won't be shocked if she pulls out now.

Back