Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Hope I'm not jumping the gun here, new season almost upon us.

Barty and Goerges teaming up in doubles. Goerges defending title in Auckland so Barty will partner Bertens in Brisbane.

Has to make sure though it does not affect her singles. Like it did at the US Open where she was knackered after that long doubles match late the previous day.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Just browsing the end of year rankings.

Barty got a huge gap after winning the year end.

Some slumping grand slam winners at the cross roads:

20 - Kerber
35 - Muguruza
45 - Ostapenko
50 - Azarenka
52 - Venus
53 - Kuznetsova
99 - Stosur
133 - Sharapova

Former top 30 players:

100 - Giorgi
101 - Kanepi
102 - Begu
109 - Peng
112 - Buzarnsecu
118 - Niculescu
134 - Schmeidlova
139 - Baczsinsky
152 - Wickmayer
160 - Zvonerava
173 - Lepchenko
176 - Rybarikova
183 - Barthel
198 - Errani
214 - Bouchard
223 - U. Radwanska
241 - Vandeweghe
242 - Gavrilova

A couple have probably retired but tough game.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Just browsing the end of year rankings.

Barty got a huge gap after winning the year end.

Some slumping grand slam winners at the cross roads:

20 - Kerber
35 - Muguruza
45 - Ostapenko
50 - Azarenka
52 - Venus
53 - Kuznetsova
99 - Stosur
133 - Sharapova

Former top 30 players:

100 - Giorgi
101 - Kanepi
102 - Begu
109 - Peng
112 - Buzarnsecu
118 - Niculescu
134 - Schmeidlova
139 - Baczsinsky
152 - Wickmayer
160 - Zvonerava
173 - Lepchenko
176 - Rybarikova
183 - Barthel
198 - Errani
214 - Bouchard
223 - U. Radwanska
241 - Vandeweghe
242 - Gavrilova

A couple have probably retired but tough game.
I am not worried about Schmieds. It is not like she is defending a WTA final in the next month or anything.

At least she will have a PR when she comes back. The Aus Open qualies will be packed. I assume Sharapova will get a WC for the Aus Open if she turns up. She just withdrew from Hawaii invitational, so I would count her as doubtful.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Are there a lot of Japanese in Hawaii? Kind of ironic if so but given the players they invited to play you'd have to think so.
There was a lot before Pearl Harbour. they weren't kicked out of America afterwards

A lot of pacific islands do have a large population of Japanese. Mostly Micronesian ones.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't really think it's a big deal at this point. Jen Brady clearly coming into the tournament on a tear, knocked over Sharapova in the first round.

We're used to Australians performing well in the first couple of weeks of the season, but we're also not used to having them being top players and having the shortened offseason that usually entails.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Barty typical of many of the Women No1 of recent years. Does not dominate.
Probably the most overpaid player of this or any other century.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
BobbyMorri the only thing crazier than supporting your girl Schmeids is betting on her but she is $2.10 outsider against Stojanovic in first round qualies in Hobart. Never heard of Stojanovic but she is ranked 85 as she fluked a run in China last year beating slumping Stosur and a couple of other players struggling for form. Can't be much good though as year before failed to qualify for Burnie ITF and lost first round of Launceston ITF and she is 23 so not as if young kid or anything. Strapping myself in for the ride and waiting for Schmeids to melt under the pressure of defending her final points haha.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
BobbyMorri the only thing crazier than supporting your girl Schmeids is betting on her but she is $2.10 outsider against Stojanovic in first round qualies in Hobart. Never heard of Stojanovic but she is ranked 85 as she fluked a run in China last year beating slumping Stosur and a couple of other players struggling for form. Can't be much good though as year before failed to qualify for Burnie ITF and lost first round of Launceston ITF and she is 23 so not as if young kid or anything. Strapping myself in for the ride and waiting for Schmeids to melt under the pressure of defending her final points haha.
haha.

This is Schmieds 2nd game back since before the US Open. Had surgery on her wrist before the US Open, so who knows whats going to happen. Schmieds was unpredictable before all this happen. Now her coming back from injury.......6-0,0-6,6-0. My prediction.

I find it a bit harsh that the defending runner up is not on the main court. Where is the respect.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

interesting read on a f-up by the WTA. some poor players have been caught up with this. I came across this when searching for a Hungarian number 2 player.

Also, only 1 tournament the week before the French Open, as another tournament won't be ready in time.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
What is the WTA tour going to do with all their Chinese tournaments if the Corona virus hangs around. Can't imagine anyone is going to be keen to go to Wuhan. 8 tournaments including the two end of year championships to come. The ATP tour could cancel theirs and it wouldn't really matter much but the WTA has a crazy reliance on China.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
What is the WTA tour going to do with all their Chinese tournaments if the Corona virus hangs around. Can't imagine anyone is going to be keen to go to Wuhan. 8 tournaments including the two end of year championships to come. The ATP tour could cancel theirs and it wouldn't really matter much but the WTA has a crazy reliance on China.
hope it goes away. good question. it should be sorted by September you would think.

They got lucky that it happened in this time of year and not during the Asian and especially the WTA Finals.

Back