WTA WTA Tour - 2020

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its good to have some tennis back on BeIn Sports to follow feels like its being a little while now since AO finished even though its only being just over a week.

Mladenovic, doing her usual dropping sets to players she really shouldnt.

Wonder how long it will be till Barty picks up a racquet again.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree with having tennis back on bein. In fact my BIL asked me on Monday if I overdose on tennis and I said not a chance there's tennis on this week. To me it beats having to watching other crap tv and I can tune out. I don't really like the tournaments in the middle east but thats because I can't stand their politics and the way they treated Shahar Pe're. She was highly ranked and refused to put her on a main court plus I don't like seeing men sitting in boxes and the women covered up.

yeah. had a quick look last night on kayo.

I used to buy the WTA TV thing, but I think Kayo will do just as good of a job with an added bonus of more sports.

I’ve got both but I find myself watching it on Kayo more as I can watch replays easier

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Nao Hibino defeated No.4 Elina Svitolina 64 62 in Thailand. Nothing new there. 19yo Swiss qualifier A No.283 Leonie Kung defeated Wang Qiang. That is probably more of a shock.

in St. Petersburg, Kvitova withdrew. Petrograd is an indoor event and as I always say, she is unbeatable indoors. Will be interesting to see how Rybakina does against the better players. I watched her in Hobart and she has nice parts of her game. Her rise is so sudden, so it will be interesting to see how it goes against the top 10. she hasn't played against them much.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
This SF is pretty rubbish. Both Kung and Hibino both regularly just hitting soft balls at the service line. Either would be getting absolutely creamed by any decent player with a bit of power. Like sure, she’s young Kung but I don’t see anything beyond a top 50 cannon-fodder to top players type of career.

Meanwhile I’ve really enjoyed the Russian tournament, the standard has been really high. Thought the Bencic/Sakkari match was outstanding, and Potapova showed huge potential despite going down to Bertens.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Kiki destroyed Rybakina in St.Petersburg. Likewise Linette

kiki then withdrew from Dubai. So, Kim now gets Muguruza as her first match in her 3rd comeback. Have fun.

found this on twitter.

Kim Clijsters player her last tournament at the 2012 US Open
Garbine Muguruza made her grand slam main draw debut at the 2012 US Open
The two will clash in Dubai tomorrow!

She was pretty solid when doing commentary down here last time. Would need to have had a similar weight drop to Dokic over the last 12 months. She doesn't seem the type to me to be able to successfully comeback.
Unfortunately I don't think this comeback will go well. The game has changed and plenty of young female players at the moment.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
kim still hits the ball as sweetly as anyone. Took a set and a half to work off the rust but she played well for a 36 year old and had Muguruza worried. Kim lost 6-2, 7-6(5) in about an hour and a half. Kim came from a double break down in the 2nd set.

tough to tell on one match(and against Muguruza). I reckon Kim played like a 30th-40th ranked player. get a couple more matches in her and work on her 2nd serve and she crack the top 30(assuming she stays injury free)

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
having a look at the Hua Hin Final now, Kung really is just cannon fodder for any good player
100% agree. You can tell pretty much straight away if youngsters truly have ‘it’. She doesn’t.

Kiki destroyed Rybakina in St.Petersburg.
Disappointing but not unexpected. Great tournament for Rybakina but she ran out of steam against an experienced opponent. She’s got huge potential but you can’t help but feel she’s always going to be hit or miss. When she’s on she’ll be almost unbeatable but on her off days she could lose to anyone. Consistency will be her biggest issue, as well as shot selection, but she’s still only so young. Bertens played great but never been a fan of hers.

Way behind in Dubai, watching Anisimova vs Strycova now. Love watching the young American play, certainly got all the tools. Hopefully she learns to deal with her emotions a little better and isn’t so hard on herself. Again knowing when to pull the trigger will probably be her biggest issue but count her into the select group of youngsters who is Slam winning material.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Yeah wow, maybe I need to retract my statement about Anisimova. What a meltdown. Up 3-1 in the final set with break points for 4-1 and then she struggled to keep the ball in the court. First set too in the TB she was up 2*-1 and Strycova was smashing balls away in frustration then she proceeds to hit about 5 UE on the trot. She then played a beautiful second set and was cruising in the 3rd.

Women’s tennis...you just never know what’s going to happen. Too unpredictable. You can’t really rely on anyone to win when they should because there’s so many momentum swings. I just hate it when the clearly more talented and aggressive player loses it for themselves. Good old grinder Strycova had a meltdown with everyone whenever she lost a point, then would fist pump non stop when she won a point. Pretty tiresome.

Back