This is part 2 of this thread.

PART 3 IS HERE --- >
Go there for your Pangolin-rich experience /\

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Good news little fellas.WA and me plan to increase iron ore exports by 40% to help avoid financial issues regards the Australian economy. Billions of dollars right there.
Also four plane loads of Australian expats coming to Perth.One from Malaysia arrived today,one from South Africa ,one from India and one from France .We are getting very few new cases so have to import them I suppose .All good
View attachment 866497

This hills in this pic are not natural they are about 0.5% of the mounds from an underground silver mine I drove to yesterday .The size and scale of the mining operations here defie logical comprahension.

Telfer ?.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Laughable from someone who says this disease is a hoax.
I'm pleased to be proven wrong - in fact ecstatic
I love to be wrong - particularly on this score.

No doubt there is something flu like - But when it don't add up - it don't add up.
It walks like a hoax, sounds like a hoax, read like a hoax and looks like a hoax - so it's a duck!

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
And nor should you

So why get all uppity when we know how anyone who dies and may have some Covid symptom or knew someone who met someone who may have been to China is categorised as a Covid mortality.

Those who question whether this is a justified pandemic will also claim they are not being callous. Do the numbers below justify erasing every civil right?
Quarantine is for those that are sick or suspected with good reason of being sick with something contagious. There is no word for quarantining the whole populace. There are towns all over Australia without a single case - why were they too quarantined?

It is beyond belief how trusting and compliant you guys are. Fishing? Golf?

There will be hell to pay for this.

close to 3/4th of the total deaths came from 5 countries. Many countries aren't affected or even yet to be affected. Don't cherry pick your stats. This can get out of control easily.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And nor should you

So why get all uppity when we know how anyone who dies and may have some Covid symptom or knew someone who met someone who may have been to China is categorised as a Covid mortality.

Those who question whether this is a justified pandemic will also claim they are not being callous. Do the numbers below justify erasing every civil right?
Quarantine is for those that are sick or suspected with good reason of being sick with something contagious. There is no word for quarantining the whole populace. There are towns all over Australia without a single case - why were they too quarantined?

It is beyond belief how trusting and compliant you guys are. Fishing? Golf?

There will be hell to pay for this.

Worldwide, total deaths are up almost 10% on annualised averages (based on same time of year) - figures that have been mostly consistent (1-2% variance year on year) for decades.

Your figures above over a more recent period (say 1st April to current) would see COVID-19 pushing the top-5 biggest components.

What concerns me is how early in the development stage this virus is, how little penetration it has had in the wider community. Worldwide, a tiny fraction of a % of asymptomatic tests have been done, yet those that have have estimated 5-80 times as many undetected for every case found. We simply don't know anywhere near enough about this virus - and likely won't until countries move past trying to avoid the immediate life-threatening shortages and move into control and research.

Australia is ideally placed to lead the way worldwide on this given our current low positive testing outcomes. I just doubt our politicians (and public) will support it.

knife

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
For universities, ask anyone who completed a undergraduate or other degree in the past 10 years and not hear horror stories of uni's famed 'group work' which normally got you paired up with a dud or 2, and left you doing all of the work. $$$ are king for universities, but if they can't find a funding model that doesn't rely on overseas students, they will be toast.

And the Universities were warned about it last year https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08...dependent-on-chinese-students-report/11427272

From the report's author;

"Australian universities are extraordinarily exposed to the Chinese market, and by extraordinarily I mean that the Australian universities have a multiple of several times the number of Chinese students of any comparable university in the world.

"At these levels of exposure, even small percentage declines in Chinese student numbers could induce significant financial hardship as universities struggle to meet the fixed costs of infrastructure and permanent staff salaries in the midst of a revenue shortfall.

The total stock of plant and equipment at Australian universities increased by almost 20 per cent between 2013 and 2017, while the University of Sydney's "key management personnel compensation" rose 74 per cent over the same period.

"If these were ASX-listed companies, the regulators would be all over them to diversify their risk, or at least divulge the risk," he said.

"But because they're public entities they're able to hide behind the shield of government and not let us know the risks they're taking, and not responsibly work to reduce them.

"Right now we have a problem where Australia's big universities are too big to fail."
"You can't let a major metropolitan university go bankrupt, but major metropolitan universities are trading on that knowledge.

Daniel Andrews should be announcing some sort of timeline for easing of restrictions, we're down to virtual zero deaths per day from this virus, whereas there is probably a higher mental health cost to maintaining lockdown.
Particularly when other premiers are outlying plans for the reduction, Dan is saying wait to May 11 then talk about it. That is useless. Excessively conservative and smacks of not planning

For how long? Uni studentns and tourism contributes close to 75 billion dollars to our economy that is about 5% of our GDP.
Near permanently. Students could quarantine for 2weeks on arrival, that could work, but I think international tourism is pretty much ****ed.

Where is the pandemic in Sweden, it didn't close up the borders or schools, it did not close up its business and put everyone out of work, it applied some social distance measures but was not compulsory and whilst it death rate is higher than its nordic cousins it is still way lower than France, UK, Belgium, Ireland and a few other countries with every measure under the sun applied.

In theory the model that we used to close everything down here should have seen 50-100,000 dead in Sweden.

It also has the added bonus of course of probably immunity to its population.
The immunity part is unclear from WHO statements (due to reinfection concerns) although WHO have been pretty much **** on a bull..

April 2021? what? billions of dollars will be lost and thousands of jobs will go. We have a new project in WA that will employ 9 people at least. There are thousands like that. You can't keep your borders shut for more than a year.
Jobs will go, but others locally can refrain into those jobs. Eventually

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Worldwide, total deaths are up almost 10% on annualised averages (based on same time of year) - figures that have been mostly consistent (1-2% variance year on year) for decades.

Your figures above over a more recent period (say 1st April to current) would see COVID-19 pushing the top-5 biggest components.

What concerns me is how early in the development stage this virus is, how little penetration it has had in the wider community. Worldwide, a tiny fraction of a % of asymptomatic tests have been done, yet those that have have estimated 5-80 times as many undetected for every case found. We simply don't know anywhere near enough about this virus - and likely won't until countries move past trying to avoid the immediate life-threatening shortages and move into control and research.

Australia is ideally placed to lead the way worldwide on this given our current low positive testing outcomes. I just doubt our politicians (and public) will support it.
Show me the money - where are these graphs showing mortality comparisons YOY
The ones I have seen show that the USA is lower than last years as of last week
England has spiked but not past 1997, 1999 or 2000 - which if you aren't aware no pandemic was called.

Show me the figures that justify call a pandemic and shutting everything down - no one is showing them
Worse, this distancing is going to compromise peoples immunity. Stay indoors ditto

The information provided has holes in it - and the anecdotal evidence coming thru is overwhelming.

Forget Australia - with our 80 odd deaths - 50% false positive test reads - we know exactly zip.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why don't we quarantine every year over flu season? It will save many lives.

The economy doesn't matter.
Firstly, it's not a full quarantine. Our social distancing rules and reduction in business activity etc does not constitute a full quarantine. You exaggerate.

Because Covid 19 is not the flu, it's new and unknown. It's closet relative, the SARS virus had 10% mortality. Put yourself in the shoes of the authorities in March asking what was the death rate of the last similar virus? SARS 10%.
It's appears to be transmitted much, much faster and spreads through communities quicker, this speed of this pandemic has been terrifying.
There is no pre-existing natural immunity to it within the community
In the US it has killed far more people than the flu has done in recent years, in only 4 months. More than 100,000 Americans will probably die from this and globally a million plus people could die from this.
Influenza has a vaccine and somewhat effective treatments.

If we had a flu as bad as this eg something of the magnitude of the 1918 'Spanish Flu' pandemic, then we should have similar social distancing measures and a reduction of activities.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's time for the tourism and education industry to become more 'sustainable'. There was little difference over the past 5 years from going down to the great ocean road, to going to university. Both were swarmed with internationals, over and above what could be considered reasonable.

For tourism it would not have been viable long term to keep those numbers up as the infrastructure and natural landmarks some were visiting were under immense pressure from truck loads of tourists.

For universities, ask anyone who completed a undergraduate or other degree in the past 10 years and not hear horror stories of uni's famed 'group work' which normally got you paired up with a dud or 2, and left you doing all of the work. $$$ are king for universities, but if they can't find a funding model that doesn't rely on overseas students, they will be toast.

It's a genuine fork in the road moment for Aus. Set ourselves up right for low-medium prosperity for the next 25-50 years, or try and replace how things were and place ourselves in the same predicament down the road.
Yeah. I don't see things returning to normal any time soon. The vast majority of tourism and education is generated by Chinese people. With the strict lockdowns instituted in China and the fear of foreign returnees bringing the virus back, I don't see a swift re-uptake of Chinese students and tourists coming to this country, even if we decided the virus was no big deal. Similarly, other large source countries like India (in terms of immigrants as opposed to tourists) have also instituted stringent lockdowns. We can talk to the cows come home about whether we should embrace herd immunity or open up the economy, but it's meaningless while bigger countries than us are still in lockdown phases.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm pleased to be proven wrong - in fact ecstatic
I love to be wrong - particularly on this score.

No doubt there is something flu like - But when it don't add up - it don't add up.
It walks like a hoax, sounds like a hoax, read like a hoax and looks like a hoax - so it's a duck!
I find it hard not to say something to you that the mods would have to remove. The internet has allowed the transmission of stupidy at the speed of light around the globe, then again, then again......

Why did my friend die in Italy? Respiratory illness progressed to respiratory failure, positive Covid PCR and serology then sudden death. Stone cold dead. There is no respawning in life.
Just over 50 years old in pretty good health. Two kids.

There is no hoax, there are however, many fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back