Covid-19 Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Part 4 - Ivermectin doesn't work either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 5:

We need to do more flights not less. We are effectively blocking citizens from returning home which is a disgrace.
There are a lot of reasons why this is not happening. Airlines are trying to recoup losses by charging the earth for flights to Australia, the most far-flung destination in the world. They can bring people in but not take them out so empty (ie no fares) flights are returning to UK, USA etc. Stopover airports have their own rules and restrictions, sometimes closing down suddenly or banning flights from certain countries. Crews are forced to isolate here. Maintenance staff for specific airlines are located at specific airports - again there are quarantine restrictions.

There are a lot of reasons why this is not happening. Airlines are trying to recoup losses by charging the earth for flights to Australia, the most far-flung destination in the world. They can bring people in but not take them out so empty (ie no fares) flights are returning to UK, USA etc. Stopover airports have their own rules and restrictions, sometimes closing down suddenly or banning flights from certain countries. Crews are forced to isolate here. Maintenance staff for specific airlines are located at specific airports - again there are quarantine restrictions.
True.
How about we vax the vunerable and then allow people to leave the country. If the vax works like they say it does then hospitals won't be overwhelmed.

True.
How about we vax the vunerable and then allow people to leave the country. If the vax works like they say it does then hospitals won't be overwhelmed.
Other countries might not like that plan :). We will have to be vaccinated to travel, that seems inevitable. But when I went OS in my younger days you had to be vaccinated against smallpox, typhoid and cholera, and TB. You just did it. There were no social media conspiracy theories or protest groups back then :).

We need to do more flights not less. We are effectively blocking citizens from returning home which is a disgrace.
We’ve done 650,000. How many do you want to do? People are not trapped. They are making the choice to travel and they can’t all be needing to on compassionate reasons. We are in a global pandemic and the risk of hotel quarantine is people dying. I’m sorry but I don’t really get the push for more, in fact now anyone who wanted to come home will be home, it should be less.

We’ve done 650,000. How many do you want to do? People are not trapped. They are making the choice to travel and they can’t all be needing to on compassionate reasons. We are in a global pandemic and the risk of hotel quarantine is people dying. I’m sorry but I don’t really get the push for more, in fact now anyone who wanted to come home will be home, it should be less.
The number keeps growing as people's employment contracts run out, or other circumstances change, and they register with DFAT to return. That is still happening as we speak.

Other countries might not like that plan :). We will have to be vaccinated to travel, that seems inevitable. But when I went OS in my younger days you had to be vaccinated against smallpox, typhoid and cholera, and TB. You just did it. There were no social media conspiracy theories or protest groups back then :).

One my proud possessions is my little yellow book with weird vaccinations. I mean, what is Japanese encephalitis? I wasn't even going to Japan.

Your underestimating how difficult it is to get home.

Obviously other countries would have their rules around who can enter their countries. But Australia should allow its citizens to leave the country if they want to.

There was an Adelaide supporter who detailed the efforts he has gone through to try and get home. Impossible isn’t far from the truth in some cases.

i thought that was only a port supporter issue after their wins

Its a bit difficult to take on more when states keep cutting their intakes and in the case of Australia’s 2nd biggest state, constantly stops their intake completely for months at a time.

The difference between Victoria and NSW numbers is quite staggering. NSW had taken at least half of all arrivals, Victoria had taken zero for 8 months in the last year

If Victoria wasn’t incompetent, that would be another 100,000 people that could have come home.

Its a bit difficult to take on more when states keep cutting their intakes and in the case of Australia’s 2nd biggest state, constantly stops their intake completely for months at a time.

The difference between Victoria and NSW numbers is quite staggering. NSW had taken at least half of all arrivals, Victoria had taken zero for 8 months in the last year

If Victoria wasn’t incompetent, that would be another 100,000 people that could have come home.
So 750,000 instead Of 650,000 and guess what we’d still have 40k trapped Aussies.

I’m telling you it’s a made up number to allow the Government to have the consistent infrastructure and numbers to operate. It’s made up.

If there was legitimately 40k trapped Aussies then next week there would be less. Call it 35. Next month 25. But there won’t be. There will be another 40k.

Its so clear and blows me away people don’t see what I’m saying. I also do not mean the legitimate people who need to flight out and back to help family etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be clear because I have to understand. Are there people who actually think there are Aussies who want to get home and have been stuck for months who still aren’t here?

I present one such Australian to you;

This.

I just tested positive on my preflight PCR test to return to Australia from Canada. Its now close to 6 months of trying to get home.

First flights made unusable by Australias caps through Fiji Air.
2nd flights to Melbourne, had that utensil knocker Dan Andrews not shafted thousands of Australian Citizens who had flights booked I wouldnt be in this situation. These flights were made useless when he stopped any international flights coming in.
3rd attempt was sailing home. The yacht captain cancelled on the first video meeting.
4th attempt looked promising. 2 weeks ago I drove my RV to Vancouver to sell as the flights hadnt been cancelled, sold it a week ago along with all of my possessions apart from my luggage I am bringing home. I spent 3 nights on a friends couch, then into a hotel while I waited for my PCR pre flight test.

Results came back positive. Symptoms wise, I had the slightest headache the morning of the test. Now 2 days later I have a tickle in my throat. Pre-Covid world I wouldnt even waste my sick days on this level of illness...

Prior to this I was in a rural town of 500 residents, virtually no risk. The process put in place that us stranded people have to follow actually puts us at more risk. I had to come to Vancouver for testing, I had to be here for a week before my flight, I had no where but a hotel to stay in. I had to mix with people in the most infected area of British Columbia, and somewhere through the buying food, catching transport, following the steps to return home I have picked up the virus.

And now I have no idea what to do. I have no where to live, have to look at extending the hotel room I have for a further 10 days, cancel my flights, and now wait. Last time it was 5 weeks until the next flight. Ive already spend 8k attempting to return home, and got absolutely no where. I cant even return to my old job as 4 days after I quit the store burned to the ground.

But one thing I noticed is that here its becoming a very accepted part of life. I told my friends I stayed with, they didnt mind. The ride share I used to get to my hotel was fine with it. Hotel receptionist said its just part of the job. People are accepting Covid as a part of the norm here rather than the pitchfork army that is the Australian public.

You make it sound like all the people in other countries are idiots and us Aussies are all geniuses.
People give Australia and NZ too much credit. It's very hard to compare against other countries, there are so many differences between countries, that it's just not fair.
Get a grip
I was just answering a specific question if you go back and see
Every country is different lock down worked in Australia for many reasons and failed in other countries for many reasons most of which was Australia/NZ wasnt half arsed
You couldnt go to the pub until 10 and still think you were locked down you couldnt go to Spain or Greece for a holiday and say you were locked down.

I don’t know if this is the right thread for it as I don’t post much on here anymore.

But is anyone else talking about the number of ‘trapped Aussies’. It absolutely blows me away.

Go all the way back to last August and there was 40k reported. September 40k.

Guess what. October 40k. Moving forward to February, you wouldn’t believe it 40k. Something is seriously muddy about this. We’re bringing thousands a week here in hotel quarantine risking so much to Australia and the fact these numbers don’t change is so strange to me. What am I missing?

Personal view - I’m living in Europe, own business, established, good group of friends. Last year supposed to be my last full year home before splitting time.

Was supposed to be home for a month last July. Cancelled as I didn’t need to be, didn’t want to take flight spot away from those in need, govt advice to stay, etc.

Was then meant to come home at Christmas for a month - basically impossible; would’ve cost me approx $15,000-$20,000 to do so, if the flight went ahead; most aren’t.

Was then hoping to come home in March; same as above.

Now hoping for July, but expecting December.

I’ve had some family things happen which I desperately wanted to be home for, but aside from that, I’m alright over here, so it’s just a frustration for me, not a disaster.

But the Aus govt has absolutely abandoned Au citizens across the world, and it’s a ******* disgrace. It defies belief that being an Australian is no longer relevant, and so many people are happy to politicize it, and ignore the plight of a lot of people who are desperate to get home.

You are all recovered and immune. You may still be required to get vaccinated in order to travel, enter your workplace, go into a pub etc.

Yeah, we know.

Not happy about being potentially forced to have the vaccine, if we’re immune due to previous infections.

Personal view - I’m living in Europe, own business, established, good group of friends. Last year supposed to be my last full year home before splitting time.

Was supposed to be home for a month last July. Cancelled as I didn’t need to be, didn’t want to take flight spot away from those in need, govt advice to stay, etc.

Was then meant to come home at Christmas for a month - basically impossible; would’ve cost me approx $15,000-$20,000 to do so, if the flight went ahead; most aren’t.

Was then hoping to come home in March; same as above.

Now hoping for July, but expecting December.

I’ve had some family things happen which I desperately wanted to be home for, but aside from that, I’m alright over here, so it’s just a frustration for me, not a disaster.

But the Aus govt has absolutely abandoned Au citizens across the world, and it’s a ******* disgrace. It defies belief that being an Australian is no longer relevant, and so many people are happy to politicize it, and ignore the plight of a lot of people who are desperate to get home.
Wow I’m glad I questioned this as I had no idea. How have 650,000 people arrived yet it’s so hard for people? It doesn’t make sense and it’s flat out wrong.
Sorry to hear mate

Wow that’s terrible, absolutely awful.

But surely this is a very rare situation that wouldn’t necessarily be fixed by more flights.

Why do you think it's very rare? If there are thousands of Aussies overseas who are trying to get back it could be typical.

Victoria still has zero international inbound flights when there used to be over 15,000 international arrivals per day.

Wow I’m glad I questioned this as I had no idea. How have 650,000 people arrived yet it’s so hard for people? It doesn’t make sense and it’s flat out wrong.
Sorry to hear mate

I’m skeptical of that number, given the caps.

I also Suspect if you drill down, a lot are not actually Aussie citizens returning either (the FB groups are full of these examples), but Australian residents returning.

There are also some muppets who continued to travel when this kicked off, and are now part of that number, but as stated, a lot of people on work contracts or visas followed Aus Govt advice to stay where they are - when they could’ve got home early last year - and in return the Govt basically ignored them.

As I said, I have a good life here, so not a big deal; but some of the stories are absolutely ****ed - people with dying relatives, lost employment etc, who can’t get home.

In my group of about two dozen Aussies here, 2 have gone home since this started - one permanently (so paid a shitload for his flights), and 1 lucked out with flights for a 4 month return visit for his brothers wedding.

NONE of us are registered with DFat as wanting to come home, and never have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back