Covid-19 Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Part 5 - Get vaccinated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infec...d-19-vaccination-case-surveillance-051121.pdf

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:

PTizzle

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 24, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NicNat2TimKelly I take it you subscribe to the conspiracy theory that SARS-Cov-2 is some sort of genetically engineered virus that escaped from a lab?

I used to think it was about 80% likely covid was a lab leak.

I'm more 50/50 these days. There's no evidence I'm aware of that confirms it either way.

Someone showed me a link to this paper two years ago or more. It was pretty suggestive.

But its not conclusive. What I find interesting is the initial response to the suggestion a lab leak was possible.

But the real take away from covid imo is that instead of focusing on "Oh it was a lab leak" we should be recognising that the potential for lab leaks exists and that gain of function research is potentially very dangerous and needs to be regulated more carefully across the world.

And frankly we can take that attitude regardless of where covid initially came from.

I do have a pet conspiracy theory (ie a proper - baseless at this point - one...) tho.

That the Omicron variant was made in a lab as an attempt to undermine the more dangerous variants.

There are a couple of weird things about Omicron. Its genetic heritage, the first official cases of it, the changes themselves.

But it also seems obvious that there is evolutionary pressure on coronaviruses to change in the way Sarscov2 changed as Delta evolved into Omicron, (If indeed it did
scared0016.gif
,) and most likely evolutionary pressures on mammalian airways that promote that sort of change too.

GhostofJimJess

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Caught it for the first time and are now up to day 3. Pretty fit and healthy and triple vexed, you wouldnt wish the bad period on anyone. Feels like your heads about to explode and could cook an egg on my forehead.
Yeah, my experience exactly. Awake for 20 hours/day and four hours of repetitive psychotic dreams - I just got sick of my own thoughts.

mcnulty

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mine was a bit weird. Felt so slightly sick the first two days wondered how I was going to last a week at home, so I started a heap of manual stuff around the house and garden. Got walloped for it day 3. More of a head cold for me but the thing was the fatigue- dead tired but not at all sleepy, so laying awake at night sick of myself.

Had worse, but wouldn’t want it again.

Interesting thing is the range of symptoms people report- some cold-like, some feverish, some headaches, some gastro like- wonder if that’s because it’s a novel virus and the immune systems not quite sure how to cope with it? Anyway all four of us in the family have had it and all reacted very differently.

SaintsSeptember

TheBrownDog
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
My ex has it.
She is in the highest agony known to mankind already ( day 1 ). She thinks she has a chest infection "as well" and the flu "as well" and has a doctors appointment for it. ( she likes to bully doctors into giving her antibiotics for everything ). I told her the doctor wont see her and that her chest infection is probably part of the Covid. But i was never right about anything :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My ex has it.
She is in the highest agony known to mankind already ( day 1 ). She thinks she has a chest infection "as well" and the flu "as well" and has a doctors appointment for it. ( she likes to bully doctors into giving her antibiotics for everything ). I told her the doctor wont see her and that her chest infection is probably part of the Covid. But i was never right about anything :p
Hasn't had a baby yet, then? :)

Crankyhawk

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My ex has it.
There is a fair bit of influenza around where I work, haven’t seen yet anyone with both (would expect it to be not fun)

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is a fair bit of influenza around where I work, haven’t seen yet anyone with both (would expect it to be not fun)
Flurona would floor even the healthiest individual for a week straight IMO. Its a genuinely scary thought

Malifice

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The unexpectedly tiny COVID-19 number WA Health didn’t want you to see

As per these numbers obtained by WAToday from the Department of Health. Rate of Covid positive patients requiring ventillation is one in 15,000 or 0.0066% in the period between 1 January and 31 March this year.

So you're saying the State with the lowest per capita rates of death and ICU admittance in the world, also has the lowest rates of people on ventilators at just one in 15,000?

And it also has the highest rate of vaccine uptake in the world, with most of the Adult population triple vaxxed?

The tough vaccine mandates worked. The border closures worked. The vaccines worked.

Heck even your own article states:

Our low 2022 ventilator figure is a remarkable achievement and a credit to WA’s high vaccination rates and closed border policy.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

As per these numbers obtained by WAToday from the Department of Health. Rate of Covid positive patients requiring ventillation is one in 15,000 or 0.0066% in the period between 1 January and 31 March this year.

Malifice just pipped me but here's my contribution.

The number you probably don't want to acknowledge, is that 91.9% in WA have had two doses of the vaccine and over 80% have had the booster which is why it looks quite good.

More than 17,000 new cases today in WA, the vast majority that are the smart and the responsible, will be vaccinated.

Malifice

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The number you probably don't want to acknowledge, is that 91.9% in WA have had two doses of the vaccine and over 80% have had the booster which is why it looks quite good.

More than 17,000 new cases today in WA, the vast majority that are the smart and the responsible, will be vaccinated.

WA’s adult double-dose vaccination rate is 99 per cent and its booster shot rate is 83.5 per cent.

COVID-19 Coronavirus: Vaccination dashboard

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...vid-19-vaccine-rollout-update-11-may-2022.pdf

Yet over half of the people in hospital with COVID in WA haven’t had their third dose, and over 1 in 4 people in hospital haven’t had one dose.

1 percent of the population = 27 percent of all cases. 99 percent of the population are responsible for the other 73 percent.

Yep; those 1 percent of the population who are unvaxxed are around 35 times more likely than the vaccinated to wind up in hospital with COVID.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

So you're saying the State with the lowest per capita rates of death and ICU admittance in the world, also has the lowest rates of people on ventilators at just one in 15,000?

And it also has the highest rate of vaccine uptake in the world, with most of the Adult population triple vaxxed?

The tough vaccine mandates worked. The border closures worked. The vaccines worked.

Heck even your own article states:

Malifice just pipped me but here's my contribution.

WA’s adult double-dose vaccination rate is 99 per cent and its booster shot rate is 83.5 per cent.

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...vid-19-vaccine-rollout-update-11-may-2022.pdf

Yet over half of the people in hospital with COVID in WA haven’t had their third dose, and over 1 in 4 people in hospital haven’t had one dose.

1 percent of the population = 27 percent of all cases. 99 percent of the population are responsible for the other 73 percent.

Yep; those 1 percent of the population who are unvaxxed are around 35 times more likely than the vaccinated to wind up in hospital with COVID.

This is a great example where someone hadn't fully considered what they were posting, not realising it very much did not support their position.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The figures I had were 12yo and up, good effort I'd thought but even better that adult double dose vaccination rate is at 99%. That has to be the best in Australia?

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The figures I had were 12yo and up, good effort I'd thought but even better that adult double dose vaccination rate is at 99%. That has to be the best in Australia?

ACT and TAS also extremely high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad