Covid-19 Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Part 5 - Get vaccinated.

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infec...d-19-vaccination-case-surveillance-051121.pdf

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:

Someone remind me what the variants of the coronavirus are please? I'm starting to think it came from somewhere other than Wuhan...

Bob Lazar.png

Anyone else still unvaxxed?

Double-vaxxed here, and when the inevitable third round of boosters becomes a thing I'll get that too. Not to spite anyone or 'prove' I'm just one of a flock of sheeple but because if I get a strain of covid, I want it to be no more of an inconvenience than getting a regular dose of the flu is. I don't want to take up a hospital space leaving someone else short of one.

I feel I owe this to the community.

The US non health care system is full of distortion anyway - my understanding is that it should be set in a dumpster and burnt, then implement a taxation based universal health care.
Perhaps these payments would be for patients who otherwise would be unable to afford care/ be not covered.

Edit now reading article issues raised
- no visitors allowed (well no sh*t Sherlock trying to limit spread, same issue happens in Victoria)
- deliberately kept in the dark - that’s projecting for the more likely “doctor has no time to talk to family “ issue again common to overworked hospital care
- “lower standards of care” means having to use less trained staff to man icu etc, or develop ceilings of care due to rationing issues. Again common in pandemic.
- “free from seclusion “ means quarantine of infected patients. Because you really want infected patients wandering around?

I would raise alternative points from the article. There is massive financial incentives to US hospitals for diagnosing patients with Covid-19, admitting those patients to hospital, putting them on ventilators and attributing cause of death as COVID-19. Even extra payments to coroners for a COVID-19 diagnosis. Then there is the withdrawal of those payments for going outside the designated treatment regimes.

I’ve mentioned this on another thread, but apparently this is one of the largest public forums in the country. I asked Chief for confirmation but he was a bit coy...

Anyway it would be naive to think there weren’t posters who are here to spread misinformation. You don’t have to squint too hard to see who they are- stacks of links to dodgy sources, quickly able to produce graphs and tables often wilfully misrepresenting the source, any number of antivax talking points they drop and then circle back to at a later date- and they’ve been very active the last 18 months.

1638863983800.png

The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons is a politically conservative non-profit association that promotes medical misinformation, such as HIV/AIDS denialism, the abortion-breast cancer hypothesis, vaccine and autism connections, and homosexuality reducing life expectancy.
BTK is a forum member who copies and pastes Wikipedia articles without attribution.

Yeah, pretty much.

I've seen the same claim made elsewhere on the SRP, and they're usually ridiculed by the more knowledgable and logical posters. Imagine thinking there are paid gigs to shitpost on bigfooty. :straining:
Who said anything about paid? I have no idea why they do what they do. And to be fair, you'd hope if you were forking out you’d be able to find better bang for your buck than some of this lot.

But in a recent survey fully two thirds of Australians claim to have been subjected to misinformation about the pandemic. It’s rife on social media and public forums are a part of social media. This is a very large public form. I think you‘re kidding yourself if you don’t think it’s happening here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said anything about paid? I have no idea why they do what they do. And to be fair, you'd hope if you were forking out you’d be able to find better bang for your buck than some of this lot.

But in a recent survey fully two thirds of Australians claim to have been subjected to misinformation about the pandemic. It’s rife on social media and public forums are a part of social media. This is a very large public form. I think you‘re kidding yourself if you don’t think it’s happening here.

I find it hard to believe there's an organised and deliberate attempt to disseminate misinformation about covid and vaccines on bigfooty. I'm sure it's rife on some of the bigger platforms like YT, FB and twitter where the ROI is far better.

Misinformation and confusion is everywhere, and in some instances has been fueled by government and health authorities. I think it's just misinformed people sharing their sincere views on bf. There could be a few people trolling too.

I would raise alternative points from the article. There is massive financial incentives to US hospitals for diagnosing patients with Covid-19, admitting those patients to hospital, putting them on ventilators and attributing cause of death as COVID-19. Even extra payments to coroners for a COVID-19 diagnosis. Then there is the withdrawal of those payments for going outside the designated treatment regimes.
Given that to fact check those claims requires me to read a 346 page congressional document, and the inaccuracies I already noted, I’m not sure that it is actually worth the effort.

So I don't understand.

At what point do you say "I've f’ed up and own it".

Or are people like sorted think that HIV/AIDS denialism, the abortion-breast cancer hypothesis, vaccine and autism connections, and homosexuality reducing life expectancy does not require scientific scrunity and are like "yep I'm good with that, I'm happy to live by those assumptions, ain't nobody getting me to think differently, I prefer this kind of world".

Or is there another gap I haven't assumed.

What a load of straw man bollocks. I've never argued any of that. You seem a bit thick. Or is there another gap I haven't assumed?

I find it hard to believe there's an organised and deliberate attempt to disseminate misinformation about covid and vaccines on bigfooty. I'm sure it's rife on some of the bigger platforms like YT, FB and twitter where the ROI is far better.

Misinformation and confusion is everywhere, and in some instances has been fueled by government and health authorities. I think it's just misinformed people sharing their sincere views on bf. There could be a few people trolling too.

It used to be called "blog seeding". At least that's what the Australian Democrats called it when I briefly considered joining them way back when.

Like fundraising, it's an expectation placed on members of (insert political organisation) to "spread the message".

For various reasons, progressive organisations do it much more effectively, or at least voluminously, than conservative organisations do.

I have absolutely no doubt there are a significant number of "seeders" on BigFooty.

I reckon they all subscribe to the same podcasts as George Christensen.

So people are against vaccination.
I can understand that, i can accept that.
Why are the same people against masks?
Why are the same people against tracing via the app?
Why are they against any acknowledgement of measure designed to prevent the spread of virus?

That's where it goes past being a personal preference thing and becomes "i'm a wackjob with a conspiracy theory".

Recently there seems to be a real thing in society where everyone has to choose a side and judge the others, eliminate the shades of grey.

If you aren't a Vegan, you're a carnivore, even if the vast majority of your diet is vegetables.
If you aren't against Vaccine's , you must be a sheeple.
If you aren't a Trump supporter you must be a ......not sure , i don't really support any American politicians.
Fossil fuels vs Coal lobby.

It makes it hard to discuss the pro's and cons of anything when there are emotional Zealots involved in every subject.
People are backing their sides on matters like they back their footy teams.
( I'll admit there was no logic for backing my footy team ).

Why are the same people against masks?
Why are the same people against tracing via the app?
Why are they against any acknowledgement of measure designed to prevent the spread of virus?

That's where it goes past being a personal preference thing and becomes "i'm a wackjob with a conspiracy theory".

Recently there seems to be a real thing in society where everyone has to choose a side and judge the others, eliminate the shades of grey.

If you aren't a Vegan, you're a carnivore, even if the vast majority of your diet is vegetables.
If you aren't against Vaccine's , you must be a sheeple.
If you aren't a Trump supporter you must be a ......not sure , i don't really support any American politicians.

It makes it hard to discuss the pro's and cons of anything when there are emotional Zealots involved in every subject.
There’s no doubt society is fractured, which is sad. Politics and arguments have crept into every thread in this forum, including the football threads. There are attempts to impose rigid narratives but a broad spectrum of responses ranging from complete compliance to vehement resistance has been revealed. This results in people being labelled “nut jobs” depending on how their opinions are interpreted. We love judging others as inferior to ourselves.

I got the vax as soon as I was eligible. I’m for mandates in certain workplaces but not in general. I’m anti mask except on PT, but people who want to wear them - sure, go ahead. They should be optional now. I think exposure sites and QR codes are waning in usefulness but I’m still checking in (mostly).

I barrack for the Bulldogs but have sympathy for Saints fans 😉

Go ahead, judge me.

Why are the same people against masks? Because by and large masks are next to useless in preventing the spread of infection. As well as that there was the mixed messaging from the health authorities at the start.
Why are the same people against tracing via the app? People don't like other people to know their business. And people have concerns about the security of information stored online. When contact tracing was necessary, I generally scanned in. Now I don't.
Why are they against any acknowledgement of measure designed to prevent the spread of virus? Trust, or absence of it.

If you aren't against Vaccine's , you must be a sheeple. I think most of the protestors are against mandatory vaccination. Indeed I think many are themselves vaccinated.
If you aren't a Trump supporter you must be a ......not sure , i don't really support any American politicians. I think the case is more that if you are a Trump supporter you're a fascist and racist deplorable.

Responses in italics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back