Covid-19 Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Part 5 - Get vaccinated.

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infec...d-19-vaccination-case-surveillance-051121.pdf

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
I think schools will go back on the scheduled dates in Victoria and NSW, but I don't see them staying open for too long. They will just run out of staff too quickly and will be forced to shut down, if not entire campuses then selected year levels and faculties, as they won't have the capacity to supervise all students. Daily Organisers just won't have enough CRT's to cover the gaps either I'd imagine. Primary schools even more so.

If I were a school principal I'd be planning my contingencies for this happening right now. If the education sector ends up with the same proportion of its staff being forced to isolate (or actually being sick) as the rest of the workforce, there's no way they can cover the absences. I'd imagine there'll be fairly high percentage of school students in the same boat in Feb/March. These disastrous difficulties in sourcing RA tests won't help things either.

Let's hope they leave enough for their missus so as to avoid breeding.
The hope is that many will have had omicron before school goes back

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think schools will go back on the scheduled dates in Victoria and NSW, but I don't see them staying open for too long. They will just run out of staff too quickly and will be forced to shut down, if not entire campuses then selected year levels and faculties, as they won't have the capacity to supervise all students. Daily Organisers just won't have enough CRT's to cover the gaps either I'd imagine. Primary schools even more so.

If I were a school principal I'd be planning my contingencies for this happening right now. If the education sector ends up with the same proportion of its staff being forced to isolate (or actually being sick) as the rest of the workforce, there's no way they can cover the absences. I'd imagine there'll be fairly high percentage of school students in the same boat in Feb/March. These disastrous difficulties in sourcing RA tests won't help things either.

Let's hope they leave enough for their missus so as to avoid breeding.

It will depend what the union wants for its members. Bit like last year when they fuelled our delta spread by leaving construction open, because Dan Andrews couldn't say no to the CFMEU.

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

Its 90% Omicron and climbing.

The speed with which it has displaced Delta, the high transmissibility even in the face of vaccines and the low severity fuels my current favourite conspiracy theory. It was deliberately released to combat Delta, become the strain that becomes endemic and end the pandemic.

For the obtuse, I do not believe this to be true, it is a good idea however.
Some of the anti vaxxers believe the vaccine is the virus and the 2nd jab and booster etc are new strains. All designed by Bill Gates and Dr Fauci to control population growth and keep us locked down and obedient.

Feel like it's hitting a bit close to home?

As I said, rarely. That means sometimes they will. But there doesn't seem to be a high correlation between the two.
Just trying to help man. Your far from the only person who does it so apologies for singling you out.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just trying to help man. Your far from the only person who does it so apologies for singling you out.

Perhaps if people stopped using social issues that they have no interest or care in, to try to validate their shitty anti-vaxx talking points, we'd all be able to move on from it.

Remember when the anti-vaxx lobby suddenly cared about mental health when they thought it would support their position, but have since gone silent on it when it's no longer of use to them? Yeah, I do.

Perhaps if people stopped using social issues that they have no interest or care in, to try to validate their shitty anti-vaxx talking points, we'd all be able to move on from it.

Remember when the anti-vaxx lobby suddenly cared about mental health when they thought it would support their position, but have since gone silent on it when it's no longer of use to them? Yeah, I do.
Disappointing response 😞.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Its 90% Omicron and climbing.

The speed with which it has displaced Delta, the high transmissibility even in the face of vaccines and the low severity fuels my current favourite conspiracy theory. It was deliberately released to combat Delta, become the strain that becomes endemic and end the pandemic.

For the obtuse, I do not believe this to be true, it is a good idea however.

I read something about Omicron and it's how viruses often will mutate, become less deadly and more transmissible so it can stay alive for longer (ie not kill the hosts). So hopefully that's the case.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I read something about Omicron and it's how viruses often will mutate, become less deadly and more transmissible so it can stay alive for longer (ie not kill the hosts). So hopefully that's the case.

Viruses randomly mutate, there's no thought or deliberate process to it, simply that the more hosts there are, the more opportunities there are for mutations to emerge (good and bad). They don't mutate in order to stay alive longer or not kill hosts, since that would require some kind of deliberate thought or action on behalf of the virus.

It's effectively an error in the code of the virus when it 'copies' itself is the best analogy I've read.

Random mutation occurs > depending on the mutation that version of the virus will spread the same / faster / slower / not at all.

Other mutations can also randomly occur, such as ones making it the same / more / less deadly.

In an ideal world you get a variant that's more contagious than others, but also less deadly. Omicron appears to fit that description, but it's not 'common cold' level less deadly, and it's extremely contagious which results in the high hospital loads we're seeing.

Natural selection means variants that spread more easily and more quickly will outpace others, ones that make their hosts too sick (or too dead) too quickly will tend to struggle to keep pace with a variant that allows the hosts to move around spreading it more easily.

The OG SARS was more deadly but less contagious, which made it easier to contain because people got too sick, too quickly, to spread it as much.

I've read that too, but the logic is false. Covid stays alive longer and reproduces more when it does kill the host. With mild illnesses, we've killed it quickly with less reproduction of the virus.

As well as acquired immunity, one of the theories why many respiratory viruses have become less virulent over time is that the strains that are favoured by natural selection are the ones that spread most easily and thus bond best with surface cells. Over time they will mutate towards becoming extremely efficient at this. This can result in them becoming less efficient at bonding with other cells, as they've effectively become designed to be ideal bonders with different cell types.

Jafa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2002
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi
Some of the anti vaxxers believe the vaccine is the virus and the 2nd jab and booster etc are new strains. All designed by Bill Gates and Dr Fauci to control population growth and keep us locked down and obedient.
It would appear you have met my brother in law .

Anti-vaxxers have been disappointing throughout. After two years of people trying to use genuine social issues to piggyback their shitty views on, I'm not inclined to give much care about whether they feel stereotyped.
The worlds not as black and white as you seem to think it is. Maybe you should get off the internet and go and talk to a wide range of people in the real world. Try listening to them too, who knows, maybe you will grow as a person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I’m reading there will be vaccines targeted at omicron in March (may in aus with the scomo factor)

we are being encouraged to get a third Pfizer now, at people being told they’ll be back I 4 months for a 4th?

surely the 3rd jab stocks should be going to at risk and kids as yet unvaccinated?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I've read that too, but the logic is false. Covid stays alive longer and reproduces more when it does kill the host. With mild illnesses, we've killed it quickly with less reproduction of the virus.

As well as acquired immunity, one of the theories why many respiratory viruses have become less virulent over time is that the strains that are favoured by natural selection are the ones that spread most easily and thus bond best with surface cells. Over time they will mutate towards becoming extremely efficient at this. This can result in them becoming less efficient at bonding with other cells, as they've effectively become designed to be ideal bonders with different cell types.

as an aside, ‘natural selection’ of a chemical compound rather than a living thing. It kind of reinforces evolution theory does it not?

maybe way back a chemicalcompuund started hosting another chemical compound, plus water, thermal currents provided the mobility and…..

I’m reading there will be vaccines targeted at omicron in March (may in aus with the scomo factor)

we are being encouraged to get a third Pfizer now, at people being told they’ll be back I 4 months for a 4th?

surely the 3rd jab stocks should be going to at risk and kids as yet unvaccinated?
Starting to get the feeling the CEO of Pfizer needs a new car.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The worlds not as black and white as you seem to think it is. Maybe you should get off the internet and go and talk to a wide range of people in the real world. Try listening to them too, who knows, maybe you will grow as a person.

I do, the number of people still on the anti-vaxx bandwagon is very limited, and they're often not nearly as educated as they like to think they are, so discussions with them are very brief and uninformative.

Keep pretending like they're presenting some kind of equally valid position though.

I do, the number of people still on the anti-vaxx bandwagon is very limited, and they're often not nearly as educated as they like to think they are, so discussions with them are very brief and uninformative.

Keep pretending like they're presenting some kind of equally valid position though.
Don't misrepresent me, my posts have been general in nature. Why have you even been mentioning anti vaxxers in our exchange?

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
The hope is that many will have had omicron before school goes back
That'd be a the ideal outcome. But even at 100,000 new cases/day for the next two weeks, as well as all those who've already been through a dose, that would still be less than a quarter of Victorians having graduated from the college of omicron. School buses, public transport, kids sport etc will only exacerbate the problem. I suspect it's going to get pretty messy. I really hope I'm wrong though - it'd be great to keep schools functioning as best as possible.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't misrepresent me, my posts have been general in nature. Why have you even been mentioning anti vaxxers in our exchange?

You replied to a post not directed at you, about anti-vaxx types and their efforts to piggyback on genuine social causes to try to gain some credibility for their arguments.

If you’re trying to make some overarching point about not stereotyping people, then as I said, after two years of a certain group of people regularly trying to leverage off genuine issues in society that they previously didn’t care about, and don’t care about now they’re not a potential vehicle for their moronic arguments, they deserve to be stereotyped.

If you’re feeling like you identify with that group, I can’t change that.

You replied to a post not directed at you, about anti-vaxx types and their efforts to piggyback on genuine social causes to try to gain some credibility for their arguments.

If you’re trying to make some overarching point about not stereotyping people, then as I said, after two years of a certain group of people regularly trying to leverage off genuine issues in society that they previously didn’t care about, and don’t care about now they’re not a potential vehicle for their moronic arguments, they deserve to be stereotyped.

If you’re feeling like you identify with that group, I can’t change that.
I see I've wasted my time.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Today in my letterbox I got a bullshit misinformation pamphlet from 'Children's Health Defense [sic] Australia Chapter'. It's aimed at parents, trying to persuade them not to vaccinate their children.

It stoops to the low of quoting statistics of one in eight vaccinated pregnant women having miscarriages. Tragically, miscarriages are very common in pregnancy anyway - the vaccine of course has nothing to do with it.

I was furious, scrunched it up and threw it across the room.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back